A few F-15s at Lakenheath and an F-15 question

wallyinoz

Coming back from Portsmouth we took a diversion to Lakenheath. Weather was crapulent and there was not much happening,, apparently it was really busy week before ..bummer, still got a couple of nice shots out of it.
49670342416_db27873f21_h.jpg
49669797433_7b5557bd67_h.jpg
49669797568_435105184c_h.jpg
49669798013_2b51a8d8a2_h.jpg

Now a funny thing about the USAF F-15s. They make a weird whining whoosing noise as they open up the taps for take off just before lighting up the burners, on landing final approach at about 200 - 300 ft they make the same noise. When I was photographing the Israeli F-15s last year they did not make that noise. Another difference was the Israelis had their speedbrakes up on final approach.  Anyone know what that noise is?

• Like 7

Hi Wally

I believe the "whoop" noise is the sound of the engine nozzle actuators opening and closing, I've seen reference on another forum that it's peculiar to the model of Pratt and Whitney F-100 engines used by the US Air Force F-15s: earlier versions of the aircraft use the F-100-PW-200 version of the engine whilst later versions, including Israel's, use the more powerful PW-229 version. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Hi Wally

I believe the "whoop" noise is the sound of the engine nozzle actuators opening and closing, I've seen reference on another forum that it's peculiar to the model of Pratt and Whitney F-100 engines used by the US Air Force F-15s: earlier versions of the aircraft use the F-100-PW-200 version of the engine whilst later versions, including Israel's, use the more powerful PW-229 version. 

Thanks Richard, I figured it must have been a different engine or perhaps opening of an auxiliary intake. now I know thanks again.. (I hate have unresolved questions lol)

• Like 1