RNAS Sopwith Camel 1/32 - Finished! 18/05

Ted

Let's make this into an RNAS airplane.

IMG_7712

There are some differences between the Hobbycraft "Aces" kits and the old Hobbycraft camel kits. The Le Rhone and Clerget Aces boxings are different molds with better detail. I have a few other things to add as well, a Copper State Clerget engine, a Barracuda wicker seat, and some extra bits from a Wingnut Wings kit.

IMG_7719

I'll use some kit decals as well as extras from the WNW kit to do one of these:

IMG_7714

or maybe this:

IMG_7715

I do love the stripes but am leaning towards the one with the poster glazed on the tail, how cool is it that they pasted a big goofy picture of their favourite comedian to the airplane.

Would it be too much to make it a what-if scheme with stripes and the poster? 😱

Here's a closer look at the parts I'll be replacing with Wingnut extras. Hobbycraft parts at the top.

IMG_7718

• Like 8

Nice subject choice Ted. Sure the Hobbycraft kit was considerably cheaper than the Wingnut Wings one so be interesting to see the comparison.

As for your choice of schemes; the first one caught my eye due to its redish hues but those stripes and checks look as if they'd be a masking and decalling nightmare! Or perhaps you need another kit to do both ;) 

• Like 1

Hi,

When I saw "RNAS Camel" my first thoughts were the 2F1 "Ship's Camel" like the very old Airfix 1/72 one, which is somewhat different, but I see you are doing the more common standard F1 used by both RFC and RNAS pilots. At this scale it should be an impressive build which I will watch with interest.

Cheers

Pete.

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi,

When I saw "RNAS Camel" my first thoughts were the 2F1 "Ship's Camel" like the very old Airfix 1/72 one, which is somewhat different, but I see you are doing the more common standard F1 used by both RFC and RNAS pilots. At this scale it should be an impressive build which I will watch with interest.

Cheers

Pete.

A ship's camel would be more naval, unfortunately I don't have a 1/32 kit for that. I am working on a 1/48 ship's camel though, stalled on it actually, from Blue Max models:

IMG_7724

• Like 3

Started with the cockpit and added a few details and structure with styrene, masking tape, lead wire. I also made a fuel tank to sit behind the seat.

I love the Barracuda wicker seat.

IMG_7725

IMG_7726

• Like 7

Did a bit of work to make the cockpit combing look better. I also put a locating pin in the tiny joint at the front edge of the cockpit to help when I eventually flue the fuselage halves together.

Before:

IMG_7727

After:

IMG_7728

• Like 5

Thanks zebra.

Got the cockpit done, I added rigging and some copper line. Don't look at the ammo magazines.

IMG_7732

IMG_7733

• Like 11

After all the work on the cockpit the build if zooming along. I had to be a bit careful about the upper fuselage, I scraped the joint instead of sanding so I didn't lose the facets.

Here's how it looks after a few doses of putty and two coats of primer. Just a couple little spots needed another putty before final priming.

IMG_7735

• Like 6

Got the airbrush painting done. It's a random mix of Tamiya.

IMG_7742

And scratchbuilt a little Rotherham pump as none are included in the kit.

IMG_7743

• Like 4

Got the most of the decals on, couple more after the wood grain is finished. It's a mix of the kit decals and some from Wingnut Wings for 9(N) Squadron. I love the cut-out poster of the comedian, according to the Windsock data file all of this flight's airplanes had the same poster glued to their tails. I imagine them all going out to see the show while on leave together, and stealing the posters on their way out of the playhouse. Makes me remember that these pilots were in their early 20's.

IMG_7744

IMG_7745

I painted the propeller tan and then brushed on some oil paint for wood grain. After it dries in a few days I'll add the prop decals and varnish it.

IMG_7746

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Worms said:

That's looking really nice, gotta love a Camel!

Gotta love 'em. Thanks

On 4/3/2020 at 5:50 AM, Worms said:

That's looking really nice, gotta love a Camel!

8 hours ago, Ted said:

Gotta love 'em. Thanks

Although quite stroppy at times, they can be quite affectionate, their breath though, phew disgusting! 🤪🐪🐪🐪

AW

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of builds going on in this GB.

I got back to this model, used some oil paint to wriggle on some wood grain, waited for it to dry, and then brushed on a couple coats of future to resemble varnish.

IMG_7780

IMG_7781

• Like 6

I had to figure out a way to align the struts to make a solid foundation and reduce the fiddling around when I put on the top wing. I made a little angle jig based on drawings from the windsock Camel book, then I could use a machinist square to make sure the struts are all aligned. It also means I have to wait for each strut to cure before moving to the next one. Patience is not my strong suit.

IMG_7782

Also added some propeller decals, extras from a Wingnut Wings kit. I am constantly delighted by the details they provide.

IMG_7783

• Like 2

Loving the wood effects you are achieving, I think you have nailed it.

your work looks immaculate, looking forward to this one getting finished! And how your rigging it.

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Loving the wood effects you are achieving, I think you have nailed it.

your work looks immaculate, looking forward to this one getting finished! And how your rigging it.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I have been having fun with wood grain. Good quality oil paints over matt acrylic is a bit of magic.

So many people finished their builds while I was waiting for oil paint to cure.

• Haha 1