P-51B Mustang Racer, 'NX28388', 1946-1948

Here I present my recently completed Mustang that was built as part of the P-51 Mustang STGB but first a little detail.

This particular 'Pony' was owned by Jackie Cochran and was originally built as a P-51B-15-NA, serial 43-24760 and given a civil registration of NX28388. Between 1946 and 1948, Jackie raced NX28388 in the Bendix Race three times and used the aircraft to set four world speed records.

The build uses the Hasegawa kit and was built primarily OOB. Images showed that this racer had its propellers replaced and these were not included in the kit, so Martin  ( @RidgeRunner ) kindly donated his spare prop from an F-51 kit. The instructions detail what needs to be deleted/ filled for a racer but like most/ all Mustang kits, they omit the requirement to fill the wing panel lines to 40% chord due the laminar wing, so this was also done. After being primed with Halfords Primer, the model was painted using Vallejo and Tamiya Acrylics and finished off with the kit decals.

IMG-8675.jpg

IMG-8676.jpg

IMG-8677.jpg

IMG-8678.jpg

IMG-8679.jpg

IMG-8680.jpg

IMG-8681.jpg

IMG-8682.jpg

IMG-8683.jpg

Build log here:

Stuart

• Like 37

• Courageous changed the title to P-51B Mustang Racer, 'NX28388', 1946-1948

Really lovely (and like the shade of green too) and makes a change to see something a bit different

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Very nicely done! Seems sort of strange to see a P-51 in such bright, beautiful colors, but I like this a lot! You tackled the gloss finish like a seasoned pro, not someone who only shoots gloss knowing it’ll get covered up. And the details like the prop make it pop.

I’ve got a boxing of the Accurate Miniatures P-51 with options for Paul Mantz’s ride or Jackie’s. I’m torn about which direction I want to go, Jackie was truly the real deal. I’ve also got a couple other racers in my stash with a keen eye for adding more. This makes my hunger even greater!

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2