Revell Kubelwagen

OK guy`s so i`ve managed to bag myself the Ravell 1:9 scale Kubelwagen type 82 for a price so low it`s embarrassing. Been wanting this kit for ages so i`m gonna make sure i do all my homework before even opening the bags, my question is can this be converted into  a remote control kit ?? looked everywhere on the net but found nothing apart from the standard kit builds out of the box. The size of the model say`s you should be able to do it but i have no idea where to even start as a scratch build so i was wondering if an off the shelf conversion is / was available that i cannot find.

As always feedback greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I would think a 1:10 scale RC car chassis and gear would work perfect for this. I think its just a matter of researching which RC chassis has similar dimensions. Such as length, height, width, and wheel base. You would be better off not cutting the chassis in half to stretch or shrink it. I think this would only serve to introduce a weakness if used in rough terrain. If you go through with this please consider doing an WIP somewhere for it, so that people can follow the build. 

Dennis

• Like 1

this would be an excellent opportunity to create a working model, but would changing a static model offer the strength a dynamic model would require not to be a constant repair in progress? I would guess the undercarriage rebuilt of brass or aluminum to be first step. the RC cars I've seen are basically vacuum formed slot car bodies with any added details promptly broken off.

I too am following along with the hope it becomes reality.

• Like 1

Thanks guy`s.....watch this space i reckon

Found this link of a conversion, does not look simple by any means, oh and turn the sound off as the music is hideous.

Edited by Ollie30

Hello.

I admire your ambition on this project, but I would give you a small word of warning. It would be very sensible to only use the Kubelwagen indoors. The reason being the type of material that the vehicle is moulded from. Styrene is designed to be easy to glue together, but it is not designed to be very strong. As I understand it, RC cars are moulded out of ABS plastic and are MUCH stronger when compared to conventional, styrene models as a result. I'm sure that you are already aware of this information, so I apologise if this is seems like the blooming obvious to you.

Good luck with the build.

Chris. 

• Thanks 1