De Turenne Nieuport 11 from the kit Eduard 1/48

8 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

I've got this kit, and I simply can't do it justice now

FPDPenguin,

first thank you for the kind comment.

It is to you to decide where you place the cursor. You know, nearly nobody will make the difference between my first version and this one, while I have been much farer in the will of faithfulness. Nearly nobody will see the difference between the first version of the Lewis gun and its supports and this one. So, you can get a very nice build without going so far. Now if you decide to though go so far, this thread should be - I hope - very useful. I was a kind of pioneer, and opened the way, making errors that you should avoid, taking advantage of my experience.

When I built a OOB version of the very bad Protar/ Italeri kit in 3 weeks, after spending 13 months helped by a great team in building a deeply modified and much better version, I was surprised to see that some people had no real preference between both!! (you can find a thread dedicated to this kit in Brit:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi2nPLUlLrpAhXQ3YUKHfU4Ca0QFjAAegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.britmodeller.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F235011875-fiat-806-research-and-scratchbuilds%2F&usg=AOvVaw2ERceJNLrWAGevwJ9EWB40

or just the RFI thread:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiQ_IiPlbrpAhWoy4UKHWVBD9UQFjAAegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.britmodeller.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F235028933-fiat-806-112-ready-for-inspection-a-true-to-original-replica%2F&usg=AOvVaw37voLzGASbpumukpDjdVzu

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

This lower barrel was 7,4 mm when doing the photo, it has been cut to 7 mm (diamond disc). Now both barrels have the right lenght. I can assemble them:

spacer.png

But before glueing them (they are very fragile), I will focus on some other details: the rear sight and the magazine area. I was wrong saying that the magazine had to be decreased in heigh:

spacer.png

If there is a smaller step at the rear of the magazine, it is just because there is something behind. In this instance, something like that:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Astonishing attention to detail again Olivier. I don't think I have ever seen this kind of detailed modification in 1/48 scale before. This is amazingly impressive, I have a Nieuport 11 and 17 in the stash, both in 1/32. I need to practice some detailing skills before starting either. Really inspiring work, this makes me want to be a better modeller. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1000 thanks, Richie!

Reading this kind comment, I have a big thought for Juan Manuel Villalba.

How many times I have been thinking (and I said to him), admiring his unique talent, that it made me "want to be a better modeler"...

And now, a new little update:

spacer.png

• Like 4

I saw one of JMV's builds, an RE8 I think, you picked a great example to follow. The man is a genius but I think you are at that level now too. Still loving this thread! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RichieW said:

I think you are at that level now too

Thanks again, Richie, very kind!

this last comment is the best reward I could get, as I have always considered Juan as my master (and it is still the case), even if he has become, with the time, a friend...

Well, my Lewis machine gun is now ready for the painting job (phew! I didn't expect this work on the gun to be so long):

spacer.png

This will be for the next days...

Cheers,   Olivier

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 11:52 AM, Olivier de St Raph said:

I was though very impressed by the amazing rigging bughunter did for his build, using another option (I asked him which one, but didn't get a reply).

Oh sorry, I have not seen your question?! :sad: I was regarding the size of the rigging thread? I guess I use the standard size. The spool has no label, and I still used the first one.

I have concentrated the last days to finish my Sopwith Dolphin, which in now in the "Ready for inspection section":coolio:

What a huge effort you spend for the gun :shocked:

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bughunter said:

Oh sorry, I have not seen your question

It really doesn't matter, Frank, as I was glad with the result I could get with the Uschi standard elastic rigging, a great product imho to represent the rigging on a 1/48 WWI aircraft.

13 hours ago, Bughunter said:

What a huge effort you spend for the gun

Yes, funny while I considered first that this Eduard part was good. And btw, it is not bad if you consider the scale (the whole kit is a good base). As I ever said, I myself didn't imagine I would spend so much time and effort on this last step. I also said somewhere in the thread that I had to fight my tendency to make too much compromises when the build end is near. I can say I ever won this fight for this time, even if it is not over!

And, to go on moving in that direction, a last merciless comparison, that could lead me to last corrections before the painting job:

spacer.png

"20 fois sur le métier remettez votre ouvrage". Nicolas Boileau, french writer of the 17th century, said that talking about the art of writing.

A good maxim, definitely, that the demanding modeler has to follow, meaning that your work will require many corrections before you can consider it acceptable.

And this merciless comparison will lead me to work my Lewis gun again, improving it until I get an acceptable result (at this scale, you have to make a minimum of compromises).

Only so, we can talk about model making as an art (as literature and poetry, painting, sculpting, film making, architecture, quality music, scenic arts).

What defines a major art? the fact that you have to work and work and work again to get step by step skills that allow you to get something original, creative, beautiful, that only a few people are able to get.

And I pretend that model making may be a major art, if you get small and small the necessary skills and follow the Boileau maxim.

So, the next days will be dedicated, not to the painting job as I thought yesterday evening, but to last corrections...

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: Frank, you should have put the link to your RFI Sopwith Dolphin thread, I couldn't find it.

• Like 2

Awesome job on the gun Olivier. Wow. I'm curious, could you post a photo of it next to a common object so we can see how tiny this thing is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Wow. I'm curious, could you post a photo of it next to a common object so we can see how tiny this thing is?

Sure, Jeroen, here it is near a triangular blade:

spacer.png

Cheers,   Olivier

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

P.S: Frank, you should have put the link to your RFI Sopwith Dolphin thread, I couldn't find it.

Yep, to avoid searching:

Your gun is great - and self made, but next time I will not follow you and buy a accessory gun instead, if the needed type is available :coolio:

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JeroenS said:

That's just insane! I don't know what else to say 🙂 Fantastic. 

Agreed Jeroen................ BUT INSANELY Incredibly Fantastic !!! Absolutely mind blowing.................

Jeff

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bughunter said:

next time I will not follow you and buy a accessory gun instead

Honestly, if I had found a really convincing gun in aftermarket, I would certainly have chosen this option, Frank.

Even my self made one (thanks for your kind comment) still requires corrections, and it is though much better imho than any aftermarket gun available today. All that is very personal, in fact, and I admit I was a bit perfectionist in that circumstance...

58 minutes ago, Biggu said:

INSANELY Incredibly Fantastic !!! Absolutely mind blowing

Thanks a lot, Jeroen and Jeff, but despite your very kind comments, I will try to still improve my gun. I am sure it is possible to get something better. This gun is kind of the icing on the cake, and I want the least compromise possible on it. Much too tired after a long day of pro work, but the corrections will begin tomorrow morning...

Cheers

Olivier

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Honestly, if I had found a really convincing gun in aftermarket, I would certainly have chosen this option, Frank.

Only for reference, not as critics!

That one looks very close: "Lewis MKI Stripped Half Heat Sinks 1/48". They have six or more Lewis variants.

spacer.png

Source: gaspatchmodels.com

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1

Thanks for the reference, Frank. I had seen and mentioned in the thread the Gaspatch guns, and it is true that the photo you show is nice, but here is how the part appears really for the 1/48 version, and it is not the same.

spacer.png

The close-up below shows clearly that the main pic on the Gaspatch site (the one you show) is misleading:

spacer.png

I suppose that the photo in your post is a bigger scale gun: If Gaspatch had been able to make a really neat and faithful gun, I would certainly have bought it, even more expensive.

However, the photo you post (and even more the 2nd one in the set of 3 dedicated to the Lewis MKI Stripped Half Heat Sinks in the Gaspatch range) will be useful for the corrections to my partial scratch gun, thanks!

Cheers

Olivier

• Like 1

Ok, I will detail (as usual) the corrections to my machine gun in order  to improve it. I will begin with the magazine because it is one of the easiest imho. The merciless comparison - for which I tried to get nearly the same size between the reference doc and my gun - shows that the tabs (correct translation?) are much too long on the Eduard PE part:

spacer.png

Of course, these corrections require to remove the magazine (happily carefully just glued with MMFA), and I will use my 2nd PE set part 17 to replace the one removed:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Warning: if you are as mad as me and intend to go as far inspired by this thread, I recommend to read it completely first, unless you have, luckily, 2 kits like me. This will avoid you the same errors (like glueing the Eduard magazine before corrections, in this example)...

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Warning: if you are as mad as me

Haha... merciless to the very end, even for yourself 😉 

• Like 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tomorrow, I will do the photos for the RFI thread.

But I want right now to thanks very warmly all of you, who helped me by your encouragements, or your suggestions, to realize this build.

Cheers, 

Olivier

• Like 5

Great result Olivier, so glad I followed this. I'm not quite as mad as mad as you but my models are nowhere near as good as yours. There's a method in the madness. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1