Pegasus Albatros W4, another refugee from 2018/2019...

John Masters

Using a ruler and some CA, I have attached the undercarriage struts to the pontoons.  I have set them in as perfect/eyeball measurement as possible.  I can adjust them individually once I am ready to attach them to the fuselage.  More eyeballing...

49708968846_a4491eeb8f_c_d.jpg

And I did so easily.  Some wiggling here and there, etc...no worries.

49709290667_d9df174ba2_c_d.jpg

And here is the finished trolly.  I may add some tow-line to complete the look...

49708969191_5b5b389238_c_d.jpg

Trolly and W4 so far...

49709290062_e0b6b2c0ef_c_d.jpg

And together as they'll go...

49708433028_1a9bb33f00_c_d.jpg

Rigging and decals tomorrow folks, and that might be it!  I have since painted those bare spots on the struts where they attach to the pontoons.

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

you are really racing through this build.

Thanks Markus!

Racing?  I am not sure about that.  I build in stages.  For instance, you cannot attach only part of the interplane struts.  You either do it, or not.  And there are parts of the build that I did not document because I was putting things together.  So that creates an illusion of speed.

Today I will probably get to the rigging, which isn't difficult but requires a certain amount of thought to rig correctly without sagging lines.  No...I don't use heat.  It's all about initial attachment points.  And once you start, you should finish it.  Don't do half and wait until Tuesday.  I will use monofilament for the wings and stretched sprue for the tail feathers.  I might use mono for the pontoon struts too.  I haven't decided yet.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Once that is done the decals go on.  I hope they are alright.  I might have to use some decal fix.  They look a little old.  We shall see!

--John

• Like 1

Hi John!

Well, 9 days from start to finish is racing for me (but I'm a notoriously slow builder so that doesn't mean anything), especially with scratch building a beaching trolly too.

Looking forward to your rigging and decaling efforts.

Cheers

Markus

A fine and cool spring day outside.  Sunny, bright...and here I am stuck inside.  I'll have to go for a walk this afternoon, get my paperwork in order so I can leave the flat.  But until then....rigging.  

I am using .005 monofilament that I have dyed black by running it through a permanent black marker.  then I cut it into snips of about 8-10cm each.  There is always leftover but it is best to have too much.  Up on the jig it goes!  Some glueing I have done without the jig.  In the case of this Albatros (all of them, actually) you have to attach the points on the fuselage first and then run the lines outward.  If that makes sense.  The hemostats create the tension; the CA secures the ends near the struts.

49711791096_d01785acaf_c_d.jpg

Here's the other side...

49712113347_1dbcf64483_c_d.jpg

And the other lines...

49711791031_daffcab50e_c_d.jpg

Once they are all in and the glue is set, trim the ends off the wing with a new, curved, hobby blade.  Don't worry...we will fill the holes later.

49711791051_228bb94eaf_c_d.jpg

Now the landing gear.  I have decided to use sprue so I have made some nice pieces.  I won't use them all but it is good to have leftovers.  It all gets used eventually.

49711790946_83f495b55a_c_d.jpg

Simple matter...measure thrice and trim to fit.  Attach the ends with CA.  You can also use white glue with sprue or regular plastic cement.  But not with the monofilament.  You must use CA for that.

49712113212_0f7bc77695_c_d.jpg

Now that the CA has dried, let's clean up the wing with some of the MisterKit German CDL.  It'll fill in the holes.  Also, if I am not mistaken, the decals will cover a fair amount of these areas.

49711790916_7896fe6132_c_d.jpg

And a bit of Medium Sea Grey paint on the undercarriage rigging to help them blend and cover up the CA spots.

49711790671_bba270ca71_c_d.jpg

I'll let the paints dry and then slide on the decals.  I will do some weathering, but not a lot.  

--John

• Like 2

This is a good thing to do if one wakes up at 5AM...

I start with 4 layers of thin plastic card.  I suppose you could use thicker card, but I did not.  It's easier to punch out the thin stuff.  I glue the 4 layers together.

49715194596_4331249113_c_d.jpg

Then, for the rim, I take a piece of strip about the same width, and CA one end to the wheel.  I rotate it around, CA-ing all the way, until the end and then trim, sand, etc...

49715194431_6ef06f7fbf_c_d.jpg

49714654103_d1c6faf614_c_d.jpg

I drill the center hole large enough for a bit of tube.  The axle will go through the tube.

Then I prime it grey.  A good industrial colour.  I won't paint it much more than this.  I will give the rim a bit of gunmetal and maybe some rust.

49714654188_a00e4b28f0_c_d.jpg

Assembled, it looks like this.  Much more sturdy than those funny spoked things!  The spots on the planks are where I had just glued the Albatros.  You won't see them when I glue it back...I also shortened the tongue wheel support.

49715510612_cdce7ea9bb_c_d.jpg

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters

Thanks Dennis.  Yes, they had about 160 of the W4 Albatri.  Regarding wheels...I would like a small supply of wheels the right size. I might look into HO scale railroad supplies.  They often have stuff like this.

• Like 1