Never have I ever built

AltcarBoB

You'd possibly be surprised at what I haven't built yet.  I built most of the WWII stuff that would normally spring to mind as a kid, but not since I came back to the hobby.  Haven't done a Hurricane, Mustang, B-17, Lancaster, I could go on... but I won't.  I've got most in my stash though, so I'll get round to 'em... hopefully :pray:

5 hours ago, cherry268 said:

I've never built anything with a propeller

They don't make enough noise (in real life)

I dare you to stand next to a propeller aircraft with no ear protection and the loud lever full forward 😋

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

I dare you to stand next to a propeller aircraft with no ear protection and the loud lever full forward 😋

Never heard a Lancaster set off a car alarm

Heard a vulcan set of what sounded like a thousand😉😀

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

Heh. You'd get more damage standing in the same postcode as a B-1B on full reheat

1 hour ago, mackem01 said:

A WWII Luftwaffe machine.............not one!

I have built a small number of German machines but always in Finnish or some other Axis country colours. I can't bring myself to apply a crooked cross.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Never built an F-16. Don't want to! Boring grey jet!! 😊. I don't do boring grey jets. Don't build Spitfires either!

Never built an Avro Lincoln, Avro Manchester , Vickers Warwick or, Victor B1 but, that is probably because there aren't any!😉🤣

Allan

12 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Never built an F-16. Don't want to! Boring grey jet!! 😊. I don't do boring grey jets. Don't build Spitfires either!

Never built an Avro Lincoln, Avro Manchester , Vickers Warwick or, Victor B1 but, that is probably because there aren't any!😉🤣

Allan

with regard to the F-16, I've always thought the  F-14, F-15, F-16 and F-18 were good looking planes which follow the maxim "if it looks right, it is right".

having said that, much as I like the look of these planes, never have I built one.

• Like 1

Way, way back we went to the airshow at RAF Wethersfield. The prototype Concorde came flying in without a sound. The boom hit us about a second after she'd passed. No car alarms but no end of screaming kids. Possibly why I consider her the most beautiful aircraft ever built.

There's something about a Merlin that brings a tear to my eye every time but jets do make an impressive sound.

Another that I've never built is a B-17 even after seeing one at Biggin Hill apparently fly out of the ground nose down and crabbing like mad. I remember looking straight at the guy in the nose blister as it flew by. Possibly Ray Hanna at the controls and it was a beautiful hot day too.

• Like 1

Spitfire - well, as a child, but I can think only of a Matchbox 1/72 that I finished (but without paint, I'm afraid - does that count?) I think I never finished the 1/32 Mk 22 (I've been a Matchbox-kid) I tinkered on at twelve or so and really messed a Revell 1/32 some ten years ago.

But I never made a Lancaster, not even started one.

And no Jolly Rogers Tomcat, though having seen (and loved) last countdown with Kirk Douglas as a kid.

And yes, no Zero. But definitely wanting one. Once. Most likely the Tamiya 1/32.

Edited by Chief Cohiba
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 2:29 PM, Chief Cohiba said:

And no Jolly Rogers Tomcat, though having seen (and loved) last countdown with Kirk Douglas as a kid.

Just to save all that googling, I think you meant 'The Final Countdown'.

And am I the only one to think 'Topgun' would have been better set in the gull grey/white era? A far nicer scheme than tactical greys.

1 minute ago, Nigel Bunker said:

Just to save all that googling, I think you meant 'The Final Countdown'.

And am I the only one to think 'Topgun' would have been better set in the gull grey/white era? A far nicer scheme than tactical greys.

Uhm, yes, of course. "Final Countdown". I've seen it in German way back then, it's been translated into "Der Letzte Countdown". But, more important, I didn't want to mess this up with the Europe song, which haunted me in those difficult days of adolescence. Since then I get spots when only hearing the name.

And I totally agree with the schemes. Everything looks better than this Low Visibility schemes. That these guys never think of us modellers, when painting their planes - don't they have a consultant for that? No designer involved? A, say, Karl Lagerfeld of warbird schemes? I mean, they do make an impression when invading other countries, so they should make a good impression, right?

(Sorry, I'm going through my 5 minutes of nonsense. Will soon pass). 😉

Well after something like 47 years I have finally broken my Spitfire duck. I am building a brengun 1/72 MkVb Floatplane. Having a bit of a mare with the canopy I managed to shatter it trying to cut it to have it open. Luckily there is a spare canopy it's not the right version but it will do.

On 05/04/2020 at 12:34, SleeperService said:

Way, way back we went to the airshow at RAF Wethersfield. The prototype Concorde came flying in without a sound. The boom hit us about a second after she'd passed. No car alarms but no end of screaming kids. Possibly why I consider her the most beautiful aircraft ever built.

There's something about a Merlin that brings a tear to my eye every time but jets do make an impressive sound.

Another that I've never built is a B-17 even after seeing one at Biggin Hill apparently fly out of the ground nose down and crabbing like mad. I remember looking straight at the guy in the nose blister as it flew by. Possibly Ray Hanna at the controls and it was a beautiful hot day too.

That would have been Don Bullock driving. He had a habit of using the valley at BH. Always pushed  his luck till he put the Invader into the ground and killed himself and passengers.

Never built a Eurofighter Typhoon. Too modern, too grey and too boring and until one appears in Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey, Light Aircraft Grey I won’t be tempted!

Never built a tank either, but have a hankering to do the boggest of standard Shermans.

Trevor

15 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Never built a Eurofighter Typhoon. Too modern, too grey and too boring and until one appears in Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey, Light Aircraft Grey I won’t be tempted!

Trevor

Well there was the one that appearred in Dk Green, Earth and Lt Grey as per 2nd World War colouring. I think that this has even made as a bog standard kit, but aftermarket decals are available for it.

• Like 1

F-111 - though I now have both and an F-111A (or EF-111A depends on my mood when I build it) and an F-111G in the stash

MiG-21 - also have one in the stash now

Tornado - guess what? one in the stash

Typhoon - yep, one of those in the stash too

F/A-18F -yep, stashed

F-22 - finally one not in the stash

I've never built a BF-109, Zero, Lancaster, B-26, B-25, F-101B, T-37, T-28, F-90 ... Oh heavens, there's a bunch of them I haven't built!