Never have I ever built

AltcarBoB

I have been thinking about what kits to buy next and browsing the interwebs I realized there is one particular famous aircraft I have never built. Now this could get me banned from the forum but I have never built a Spitfire.

There it's out and I feel better for admitting my crime. 

What one famous and ubiquitous aircraft model have you never got round to building.

Edited by AltcarBoB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

In the same vein, I've never built a Hurricane. Add me to the naughty list. 😉

Also never built a Jolly Rogers Tomcat, yet I have the front to call myself a modeller 😔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's no crime to admit you've never built a spitfire.

I have,  as a child, but not now. I have a couple of spitfires to build, but intending really to use as practice for new techniques, or as paint mules.

Not because I don't respect the spitfire, I as an aeroplane it's another matter altogether.

As for models I have never built, an Fw 190 and a corsair are two famous and ubiquitous aircraft models I have never built. Yet.

Let me see

Spitfire, nope

Hurricane, nope

P-47, nope

Tomcat, yes, when I was about 10

and thanks to @Whofan I'll add

FW-190, yes, 1/144 scale prepaints, somewhere

F4U Corsair, nope.

:P

And quite a lot of others...but  I also haven't built a model kit for the purposes of a model kit for over 20 years...and I think only one of the above models is in my stash (by accident rather than deliberately)

Edited by ratsmitglied
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Fredag said:

Never built a Phantom. Have owned a few, and may still have one...somewhere, but never built.

Ah, yes, thanks. Of modern jets, I've never built a phantom.

Oh, thinking about it, I might add one to the stash.

Thanks!

It matters not what you haven't built, what does matter is what you haven't got in your stash or intend to build. Thus lies the truer definition of heresy. 

I reckon I'm safe. :D

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Haha 4

I thought a lot about it and I realised that there are a few important types that I've never built but only one of them is probably one of those subjects that everybody builds..

A couple of very important types that I've never built are the C-47/DC-3 and the Il-2. Now I started a Sturmovik a while ago and I should get back to work on that. I also have another couple in the stash for some reason. I have never built a C-47 and never had any in the stash, even if it's a type I'd like to build at some point (and I already have ideas for the specific subject).

However even if these two types are very important (really they are some of the most important aircraft types ever ! Both would be in every top ten), none of them is one of those subjects that every modeller builds, so important types yes but ultrapopular modelling subjects less so.

One type that I've never built that may fit the description is the B-17 ! I have never built a B-17 and the only one I have in the stash is the old 1/64 Lindberg kit that I got as part of a bundle but I have no intention of building (weird scale and so on).

• Like 1

Me too - no Spitfire. Not even the classic Airfix mark IX though I coveted it greatly. I do have a Vb in the stash but its a seaplane so does it still count? Also never built a P-47 and I cant remember a 109 come to think of it.

But built HMS Hood and Ark Royal at least 4 times each, and 3 Sopwith Camels. I'm probably the only person on the planet with two Airfix Boeing 314s.

Lots of types I've never built, some because they don't interest me - anything Japanese or Soviet Russian, others because there are no kits in my preferred 1/48 scale - like a Halifax (I know there is one but would you buy it and build it?) or a Stirling and I never built the 1/72 ones either back in my youth.

There are others like an Me163, Arado 234, in fact no late war Luftwaffe designs, never built a B-47, B-52 or a B-36.

In fact the more I think about it what have I built? :think:

Some kits I have never  built, even in my childhood, because they didn't appealed and today I have restricted my interests. So no Zero for me either. Kits I feel I should have built are a British Sea King (built the Airfix USN one back in 1970) ands more modern kit of the Wellington. The Halifax and Stirling has never figured in any builds I have done. I have plenty to go at and why would I want to build a state of the art modern kit when I can build the Mach2 York which is currently on the go. 

I am a 1/48  jet guy mostly, so all you mention above is not something worrying me too much actually! also the scale prohibits too many builds a year anyways...

I did not even build a BF109 as of now, let a lone a Spitfire....

I am worried that I did not start the great looking and certainly impressive 48th scale Icelandic Art Vulcan for 5 months yet ! :D

well, as it turns out I have both a Hurricane and a Spitfire in my stash, of which I am pretty sure is only the case because a store was clearing out their model kit stock and I picked up the Airfix RAF collection (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-08673-royal-air-force-collection--187320) at an excellent price. It also means that they've probably been in my stash for 10+ years 😉

I've still never built a Zero, pretty much any civil aircraft (they don't interest me) and the only WW2 bomber I've built is a Dambusters Lancaster