Lockheed 1/72 OP-2E

hsr

I had never seen that C Scale conversion, and I've been pretty good at looking out for Neptune conversion kits/detailing sets/decals over the years. I even have an AP-2H done with the old (ancient) In Country set. As you might have guessed, I'm something of a Neptune fanatic. I have a SP-2H I built many, many years ago, and a P2V-4 conversion I did, and I also have a Neptune firefighter (based on a P-2H), OP-2E, and the AP-2H I'm finishing up on. Once I get these done, then it's on to the Neptune MR.1. I was just looking through my Neptune paraphernalia, and I noticed that my Falcon P2V-5 conversion set is complete, including the canopy, so I don't know where I got that extra P2V-5 (P-2E) canopy from; perhaps the Falcon set had an extra. Maybe I'll make an AP-2E from that set (I'm also a bit of a Vietnam War fanatic, especially regarding piston-engined aircraft - the AP-2E would look good next to my EC-47P).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.

I searched for years on Ebay for the In Country OP-2E. In all that time I can across 2 of the C Scale ones and 1 In Country. Unfortunately the In Country one was missing the chin turret so I sent it back. That seller was tolecle_uaye0b you might try contacting him, he might still have it.

• Thanks 1

I may look into that, thank you! I've already done the chin radome, so I don't need that. The main thing I need now is the equipment in the nose compartment, and especially that rear camera housing. I've already cut off the MAD boom, and blanked it off. I just need to add some fiddly bits to that (I still haven't quite figured out how to do the flare dispensers, but I'll come up with something - compared to my P2V-4 conversion, this conversion is easy).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Excellent research, Jason. Thats a relief :)

Martin

Although it looks like the canopy needs a bit of work to make it fit, the nose turret fits nicely onto the P2V-5/MR.1 replacement nose section. It looks like there will only be a little bit of cleanup needed there to fair it in. I hope you get started on your conversion soon, so I can see how to build mine!

Regards,

Jason

Thank you for those piccies of the tail boom blanking plates! It looks like my scratchbuilt one will end up looking like a mix of the two.

Best Regards,

Jason

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

Although it looks like the canopy needs a bit of work to make it fit, the nose turret fits nicely onto the P2V-5/MR.1 replacement nose section. It looks like there will only be a little bit of cleanup needed there to fair it in. I hope you get started on your conversion soon, so I can see how to build mine!

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason, 

I hope that I havent confused you and Howard. I dont have any plan to build a P2V-5. My reference to the conversion was simply to ask generally if the Blackbird P2V-5 canopy had the same size issues. My thought was that if it was a better fit Glenn at Blackbird might source some replacements for the OP-2E.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Yes, evidently I was a bit confused there (not too hard for me to be, to be quite honest). Oh well, I suppose I'll have to muddle through my P2V-5/MR.1 build by myself when I get around to it (I've already done some of the easy bits). By then, however, there may be an entire IM kit of it (if only!).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Haha 1

Not a whole bunch of progress to show. I spent the day cleaning up the fuselage and started filling and sanding the wings. So this picture looks pretty much like the last one, only better.

sVW8NU9A_o.jpgAgain the wings are just inserted in their slots not glued. Tomorrow I am hoping they will get glued on.

• Like 4

If you're like me (and may the Gods help you if you are!), then you have lined up quite a bit of research material for this conversion. I have a question for you - what colours do your think were used for the camouflage? I have what appear to be some very nice colour photographs (definitely NOT colourised), and I think an olive green (not an olive drab) will do nicely for the upper surfaces. The under surfaces are a bit of a quandary, however. On some of my photographs, I'm convinced it's white, on others I'm convinced it's a very light grey. Do you have any thoughts on this, as you seem to be coming to the painting stage more quickly than I am? Right now I'm inclined to go with white, but I can be talked out of it.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

If you're like me (and may the Gods help you if you are!), then you have lined up quite a bit of research material for this conversion. I have a question for you - what colours do your think were used for the camouflage? I have what appear to be some very nice colour photographs (definitely NOT colourised), and I think an olive green (not an olive drab) will do nicely for the upper surfaces. The under surfaces are a bit of a quandary, however. On some of my photographs, I'm convinced it's white, on others I'm convinced it's a very light grey. Do you have any thoughts on this, as you seem to be coming to the painting stage more quickly than I am? Right now I'm inclined to go with white, but I can be talked out of it.

Best Regards,

Jason

I agree, Jason. I, too, have amassed many photos etc and think the uppers were Olive green or Field green (FS34097) with the undersides being white (FS17875). These were the colours used on other USN machines at the time (mid 1960s USS Kittyhawk cruise). I could be wrong! ;)

Remember, also that the national insignia were overpainted lightly to dull the whiteness. See photos for reference. @hsr you got the Mutza book that I recommended, didn't you? Also the VO-67 website is very informative.

When you get to it, note the OP-2Es only carried tip tanks (of either type) when being ferried. During operations none were carried. Note also that 131423 (the subject of the Caracal set) did not have the nose radome.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Hi again @Learstang and @hsr,

Having been prompted by your thoughts I did a bit more looking at images. See below, which shows the undersIde may well have been grey. Note how the white warning markings contrast on the nosewheel door.

Also compare to the white markings on the prop tips. I have written To Dave Steffy of the VO-67 Association to see if we can get some clarificaton. I will let you know of I get an answer.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Learstang and @RidgeRunnerI am always mistrustful of the ability for old color photos to have accurate color retention and the whole color discussion usually makes my head spin.😵 The sources I have seen mostly say FS34097 (Mutza's book says FS34079, but that seems kind of dark and I think the 79 - 97 was transposed) and FS 34660. So I have, somewhat arbitrarily, decided to go with Humbrol 105 for the top and 129 for the bottom .   

• Like 1

Martin, I have photographs of all the OP-2Es ever converted, and although four of the photos of '10' show it without the nose radome (including a fairly famous one of it in flight), I have a photograph of it sitting on the apron whilst AT-28s take off, and it very clearly has the radome. Since I've already labouriously added my radome, I'm going to go with that. I'll be interested to hear what the VO-67 chap has to say about colours.

Regards,

Jason

All right, after closely examining my piccies (again), I do believe the underside colour is indeed a very light grey. I'm going to go with Field Green over Light Grey on mine. So let it be written, so let it be done...

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Learstang said:

All right, after closely examining my piccies (again), I do believe the underside colour is indeed a very light grey. I'm going to go with Field Green over Light Grey on mine. So let it be written, so let it be done...

Regards,

Jason

Hi

Wasn't it the same scheme on USMC OV-10 in the 70s?

Patrick

• Like 1

Very possibly; I have to admit I'm not that up on the Bronco, but I do believe the green is the same. Oops, hsr, hope I'm not hijacking the thread!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang