Lockheed 1/72 OP-2E

hsr

1 hour ago, hsr said:

I always find that this point when I remove all the layers of mask to be one of the most satisfying parts of the build.

I agree completely! She's looking good!

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 2:14 PM, hsr said:

I hope so, but every time I schedule the finish in my head something goes wrong. I should be finished by next Wednesday but who knows.

Interesting. You never see them removing the jet FOD covers, but in one shot they are there and then the next they are gone. Could they be retracted in flight?

As previously noted, they were hinged in the middle and folded back. Although there was some drag reduction and FOD protection, I think they were there (and also as a rotating “plate” on the inlet at least early on of the F2H Banshee) to close off the inlet when the J34 was shut down because its compressor/turbine shaft bearings may have been subject to damage if turned (due to windmilling) when the engine was shut down because of low/nil oil pressure for their lubrication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The B-36 had doors that could be opened just a little to keep the turning just a little so it wouldn't freeze up. But the B-36 flew at a much higher altitude.

• Like 1

The Tu-95K-20 'Bear-B', which carried the huge jet-engined AS-3 (Kh-20) Kangaroo cruise missile, had a fairing that was fitted in front of the missile (the missile was semi-externally mounted in the bomb bay) to keep the turbines from wind-milling in flight. I always thought it had more to do with drag on the auxiliary jets on the P2V, but it looks like it was analogous with the situation with the Kangaroo.

Regards,

Jason

More trivia that I noticed a couple of days ago: the P2V-7 nose wheel well is not only farther forward and shorter relative to previous dash numbers, it is also not as wide. An equipment shelf was added to the right side of the fuselage where the wheel well was located; it’s still the same width on the left side but narrowed, but still wider, on the right side. Another omission in the kit is the “kink” in the aft fuselage between the leading edges of the vertical fin and horizontal stabilizer introduced with the production of the first P2Vs. Apparently Lockheed needed to increase the stabilizer incidence two degrees nose-up for pitch stability and/or handling qualities and the easiest way to to that was to tilt the entire empennage, including the vertical fin. The lack of the kink is not noticeable because there is a radome on the bottom of the fuselage at that point that masks the change In angle. I’ve updated the blog post accordingly (http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2020/03/lockheed-p2v-5-vs-7-neptune.html)and added a new post on the P2V-3 that includes a link to the excellent post by TheRealMrEd on his conversion from the -7. 

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Nose gear well clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks very good! The gloss really brings the paint together. I think you did a good job replicating the camouflage on the ADSIDs. It's interesting how the underside light grey looks white, until you see it next to something that really is white, like the landing gear. This is just the effect I noticed in photographs of the actual aeroplane.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Decals on

t4d8Y27N_o.jpgRb5peVhY_o.jpgXDn0qfnx_o.jpgFdzFLfb4_o.jpgand as you may notice I have the antennas on the ADSIDs. 

The Caracal decal set come in 3 sheets one printed by Cartograf the other 2 by Microscale. Other then the labels I couldn't tell the difference and they all worked close to perfectly with minimal silvering. Next is a flat coat and installation of the wheels M60's and ADSIDs. Back in a couple days when it is done.

• Like 4

Yes - very nice indeed! I have those very decals so good to hear they behave well, and they look great on the model! Nice job on the ADSIDs also!

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Hi Howard

Remember the national insignia were washed over with a thin brown/sand colour. Check photos.

M

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Remember the national insignia were washed over with a thin brown/sand colour. Check photos.

I know, although I though it was the fuselage green color. I want to do it but I am afraid of ruining it.😱

It looks to me like it was the fuselage green colour. I'm thinking about using a water-soluble acrylic equivalent to the field green enamel I'm using, that way I can wash it off if I overdo it.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that's about right. The flat coat will help to blend it in with the fuselage field green. Are you also blending in the underwing insignia?

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Learstang said:

Are you also blending in the underwing insignia?

Yes but I can not find any good pictures so I arbitrarily did it with the underside gray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hsr said:

I know, although I though it was the fuselage green color. I want to do it but I am afraid of ruining it.😱

Yes, I can understand that. Why not try a water-based pigment, like a Flory wash, as that can easily be washed off if you go wrong. :)

Martin

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CaracalModels said:

Excellent work! Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Thank you for the nice Neptune decals - I have both sets! I definitely foresee a RB-69, an AP-2E, and very possibly a DP-2E in my future.

Best Regards,

Jason

On 4/7/2020 at 3:07 PM, CaracalModels said:

Excellent work! Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

And yes thank you for producing the decals. Hopefully I did them justice. Just out of curiosity why were some sheets done by Microscale and some by Cartograf?

Just a quick update for today. Experience has shown that if I try to spay the flat in a single coat I end up with a semi-matte rather then flat so, today I gave it a light coat of flat.

Zpo6PjGN_o.jpgAlso installed the wheels minigun pods and ADSID ejectors. Finish it tomorrow.

• Like 1