1/35 Trumpeter Mi-4 in Soviet Arctic Colors

This is a pretty nice kit that builds up into one big helicopter!  This was built straight from the box with addition of Aeroflot decals for an airliner and resin figure.

Since the Chinese virus has cancelled all our regional and local hobby shows, you can be the judges!😁  Soviet helicopter pilots did wear parachutes, included are bailout procedures from a 1962 Mi-4 Pilot's Manual

Titled:  Arctic Hound

A Soviet Air Force Mi-4 “Hound” under the guise of Aeroflot, prepares to take off and rendezvous with the Soviet Navy Submarine S-283, Vadimirsky Komsomolets, in the Northern Polar Region, 1964. 

IMG_3047 (2)

IMG_3029 (2)

IMG_3023 (2)

IMG_3024 (2)

IMG_3043 (2)

IMG_3039 (2)

IMG_3049 (2)

IMG_3051 (2) IMG_3036 (2)

IMG_3048 (2)

IMG_3037 (2)

IMG_3038 (2)

IMG_3041 (2)

IMG_3026 (2)

IMG_3033 (2)

IMG_3044 (2)

IMG_3040 (2)

IMG_3032 (2)

IMG_3034 (2)

IMG_3045 (2)

IMG_3028 (2)

IMG_3046 (2)

IMG_3025 (2)

IMG_2918 (2)

gettyimages-615315618-2048x2048

• Like 37

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

Just excellent!  How ever did you get those grills to look so nice and I love the Pilot, really brings it to life.  I so wish we would see in a 1/48 kit.

They actually are photo etch grills that came with the kit.  Lightly sprayed Soviet Arctic Orange.  So just a little metal shows.  The pilot I got from Scale Hobbyist.  About right for the era, and Soviet Helo Pilots did wear parachutes, even during Afghanistan.

This really is excellent! Very nice work with the paintwork and with those small details. I especially like (and admire) those air intakes on top of the nose. I would love to build one of these but in Finnish markings.

I know an older chap who used to fly one of these at the Finnish Air Force. He told me that the helicopter shake violently all the time, carbon-monoxide entered the cockpit and the noise level was above 160 decibels.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Antti_K said:

This really is excellent! Very nice work with the paintwork and with those small details. I especially like (and admire) those air intakes on top of the nose. I would love to build one of these but in Finnish markings.

I know an older chap who used to fly one of these at the Finnish Air Force. He told me that the helicopter shake violently all the time, carbon-monoxide entered the cockpit and the noise level was above 160 decibels.

Cheers,

Antti

A buddy of mine flew in one in Afghanistan, flown by Blackwater, he said the same thing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alan P said:

That's very nice, well done. 

I thought the Hound was a copy of the S-55 but looking at the pilot figure it was a fair bit bigger. 

It truly was a different helicopter than the S-55.  It could carry vehicles internally and up to 16 troops.  It had a huge twin row piston engine, a Shvetsov ASh-82V 14-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine.

Nice work indeed - I like the Mi-4, especially when orange. - I wonder what you mean when you write the helicopter was Soviet Air Force 'under the guise of Aeroflot'. I'm very interested in the subject you see - and I remember reading a while back, and please correct me if I remember wrongly, that Arctic helicopter pilots were often simply Aeroflot pilots flying Aeroflot helicopters in Northern Aeroflot units. In the USSR sometimes helicopter equipment was exchanged with military neighbours on an airfield, but AFAIK the institutional divide between the services was very real. It was usually in the missions these crews performed where the line between civil and military was blurred sometimes. Anyway - lovely work, almost like being there! Cold!

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Double

You are correct, however Aeroflot was as an adjunct to the Soviet Air Force.  As you can see from the aircraft below, despite being marked with Aeroflot livery, it belonged to the VVS or Frontal Aviation of the Soviet Air Force.

On 3/19/2020 at 5:03 PM, Jonners said:

Excellent! The parachute escape instructions seem to be a trifle optimistic...

Jon

As a retired Army Aviator, Army Test Pilots wore parachutes too.  One crew was test flying a CH-47 when the blades meshed, as the aircraft rolled, he opened the his door and bailed out of the aircraft and parachuted to safety.  The rest of the crew was not so lucky.  Regular pilots like me, we simply didn't fly that high in a tactical environment to justify parachutes. Before we could pull a ripcord, you would be in the trees. 

• Like 1