Wooden Lockheed Constellation Rework and Respray

2 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

.......What primer are you using?

It's grey cellulose primer. The wood had already been varnished as supplied, so was sealed to some extent.

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Thanks 1

Over the past few days, I've been tinkering on the laptop, sorting out the graphics for the decals. This is a paper test print to check the sizes of the print outs against the model.

connie_066.jpg

The winged bird logo.

connie_067.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

The TAP initials are about the right size, but need to be applied a fraction higher.

connie_068.jpg

TRANSPORTES AEREOS PORTUGUESES could do with being a fraction longer. On the original image I have, the words are the same length of the windows.

connie_069.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

Wing registration looks ok.

connie_070.jpg

I was in two minds about printing the green/red fin bands. I'm not sure the fins are exactly the same size or aerofoil section and don't want the decals on one side to look different to the other. The markings are also on the outside and inside of the fins. Six to print, possibly all a little different? Registration looks fine.

connie_071.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

An alternative plan was some decals film, sprayed red and green. I'll have an experiment with these first, cut to suit each fin.

connie_072.jpg

The fuselage underside was also sprayed silver today and has been left to harden.

connie_073.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The workshop has been upside down for the last few weeks with household projects, but I finally managed a tidy up and did a little tinkering with the Constellation. The painted decal film from a few weeks ago was cut into 1/4 inch strips and then into small sections to be applied to the three fins and rudders; twelve pieces in all. A couple split during application, but I'd painted enough to have some spare film of each colour.

connie_074.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

Almost there now on this project. The graphics for the decals have been done for a while, but on Friday 14th August, they were printed onto clear decal film, then left to dry for a few hours.

connie_075.jpg

The decal paper was cut down to just the area of the decals and then taped down to a board to keep them flat. While taped, they were sprayed with Microsol liquid decal film to seal in the printer ink and once again left to dry.

connie_076.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

After a while to dry, I began cutting up the decals into single units to be applied. I began with the wing registrations.

connie_077.jpg

The registrations on the fins were applied next.

connie_078.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

The largest decal was the TAP above the cabin windows. That was left a little longer to soak to make sure it was free from the backing paper.

connie_081.jpg

Once free, it positioned easily onto the fuselage and didn't show any signs of splitting or stretching.

connie_082.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

Back to the wings next for the de-icer boots. I had some long strips of black decal left from a Fletcher Class Destroyer and they were used for the boots. A bit of Microsol encouraged them around the wing tips.

connie_083.jpg

That was all the decals applied and it was then left to harden. Today, I've given the model a couple of coats of satin clear to seal them all in and it is now drying in the workshop. Depending on how it looks tomorrow once dry, it may get a couple more coats. The only other jobs are to paint in the front of the cowls with a metallic grey and to remove the masking tape from the wooden stand as I've been using the stand as a hand hold while spraying.

connie_084.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 9

The Connie had another couple of coats of satin clear this morning. It is fairly quick drying but I gave it a few hours to dry before handling it.

connie_085.jpg

This afternoon, between showers, I popped out into the garden to get a couple of photos. I still want to do a proper photoshoot, but that's going to have to wait for a bit better weather for some good light and dry ground so I can spread a cloth out for an even background. These will do for now. 

connie_086.jpg

connie_087.jpg

A bit of a change from when it first arrived.

connie_001.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

An absolute beauty Sir,Bravo.

One can just remember,as a small boy,these elegant machines doing evening take offs at the then Ringway Airport,now of course,

Manchester International.

On late summer twilight evenings,it was possible to see the flames from the engine exhausts as the machine raced along

the runway.

David.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With almost constant rain since I finished the model, I gave up on further out door photos and set up my photo studio in the workshop. A few pictures were taken while the glue was drying on the cardboard box the model arrived in. I'd added some dividers to hold the model pieces in place and cut some foam sheets to wrap each piece in.

connie_088.jpg

connie_089.jpg

connie_090.jpg

connie_091.jpg

Finally, the box. It will be delivered later today. The owner hopes the fullsize engine from the original aircraft will be ready for its first run later this year.

connie_092.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...