F-104G Starfighter

Andre B

Hi, 

Concerning the F-104G marinefliegers what is the tan coloured panel behind the cockpit for and why isn't that part painted grey as the rest of the aircraft?

Cheers / André 

Andre

I believe it covers an integrated UHF  IFF and Tacan antenna with formation light. I assume the colour of the panel may reflect a different material being used but that’s a wild guess. 

• Like 1

And as I already have painted that part of the airfcraft I noted that an another part of the aircraft just between the nosecone and landinggear also is of fibreglass. What does that panel cover?

And as we are talking about the F-104G was the wings on the German NMT Starfighter's also painted white as the US ones? And why was the wings on the US Starfighter's painted white and not left natural aluminium? Where they filled and sanded smoth before painting as on P-51D Mustang? And why white and not silver/aluminium paint?

Cheers / André 

3 hours ago, Andre B said:

And as I already have painted that part of the airfcraft I noted that an another part of the aircraft just between the nosecone and landinggear also is of fibreglass. What does that panel cover?

UHF Antenna.

3 hours ago, Andre B said:

And as we are talking about the F-104G was the wings on the German NMT Starfighter's also painted white as the US ones?

Yes, upper side white, bottom grey.

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

Two UHF antennas? One on top and one on the underside of the fuselage?

Yes. And the one under the fuselage is the wrong shape in both the Hasegawa and the Revell 1/72 kits: it should have rounded corners.

Regarding the wings, screws rivets and fasteners were puttied and then the paint was applied on top. The wings were painted for corrosion protection. I've read of various possible reasons for the choice of white on the upper surfaces, the most likely is to keep the temperature down as it was feared that excessive heat could give problems to the flaps actuators.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was a little confused by the choosen colours of the F-104G. What is correct when it comes to the "green starfighters" - RAL or FS numbers?

I really can't believe that FS34079 was used  instead of RAL6014? What is correct concerning "norm -83". And was the nose really black and white?

Cheers / André 

Edited by Andre B

Mr. Coremans from Daco is wrong, it is indeed FS 34079. Another error in the instruction is for the "Vikings" paintscheme. It is RAL 3000, not RAL 3020 and RAL 9001, not RAL 9003.

Radome color is FS 16473 and FS 34079.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1