F4F-4 Wildcat - Guadalcanal #2

It's a tidy little kit, I understand it's off somehow but I don't notice it-- please nobody point it out.  Did you use the Starfighter Guadalcanal decal set for the Wildcat or the PBY?  

I've been using my Kung Flu downtime to attempt rivetting a Hasegawa SBD, good luck with that build!  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

It's a tidy little kit, I understand it's off somehow but I don't notice it-- please nobody point it out.  Did you use the Starfighter Guadalcanal decal set for the Wildcat or the PBY?  

I have no idea on accuracy, never bothers me that stuff. Usually just make OOB and am happy. I think someone said the same about Academy PBY cowlings not being right...life is too short, they look fine to me :) But yes Starfighter decals on PBY set 72-139

• Like 1

No personal ad hominem intended in this subjective criticism pizzapaolo, but to my eyes those sharply contrasted/delineated panel lines on the Wildcat look like trenches the Germans might have prepared prior Third Ypres at Passchendaele in The Great War. Not my preference, I had hoped Airfix had moved past that folly I first encountered in their 2010 newly tooled 1/72 Bf 110C. Is this a 'feature'of this kit or your preferred panel line accenting application? Cheers mate.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bigglesof266 said:

No personal ad hominem intended in this subjective criticism pizzapaolo, but to my eyes those sharply contrasted/delineated panel lines on the Wildcat look like trenches the Germans might have prepared prior Third Ypres at Passchendaele in The Great War. Not my preference, I had hoped Airfix had moved past that folly I first encountered in their 2010 newly tooled 1/72 Bf 110C. Is this a 'feature'of this kit or your preferred panel line accenting application? Cheers mate.

Bit of both - I used a lot of Tamiya panel line wash, maybe went overboard but I like it, Could also be the light, they look less pronounced in the cabinet. I don't think the panel lines are too bad from the kit point of view, personally I prefer them a little bit overdone although not too Matchbox levels. Love Matchbox but some them are crazy :)

That is very nice. I ordered some Xtradecal 'Yanks in Roundels' in 1:72 in error, and this tempts me to give an FAA Wildcat a crack - well done! :clap2:

• Thanks 1

I'm living the look of this, both of them in fact. I've definitely got a Guadalcanal Wildcat in my future as well as a couple of PBYs. I know the engines are undersized but to my eye, they don't look as bad as I'd expected.

Steve.

• Thanks 1