Anodised Aluminium finish? (green)

Johnson

Hi Folks,

I'm planning to model the Spitfire prototype at the time of its first flight and without wishing to get into a debate about the actual colour etc - there's reams about that here on BM! I'm going to try to achieve a green tinted anodised aluminium finish, in various shades and densities.

So, has anyone tried to add green pigments to either Alclad 2 or AK Extreme Metal paints?  If so what sort of pigment did you use - or what might work? I've used Alclad 2 a lot which is the best metallic finish I've achieved and I'm going to try AKs range which is reputed to be very good. Alclad is lacquer and AK enamel.

Alternatively I could try Tamiya's metallic acrylic aluminium mixed with their clear green acrylic, at least I'd be using the same medium.

If anyone has any tips or experience with this sort of thing, would be great to hear.

Cheers,

Hi Tank152,

1 hour ago, tank152 said:

Your prayers are answered!

It would seem they are!

That looks as if it would work. I guess if I want to vary the shading between panels (as was the case with K5054) I just spray multiple coats.

Many thanks,

6 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Hi Tank152,

It would seem they are!

That looks as if it would work. I guess if I want to vary the shading between panels (as was the case with K5054) I just spray multiple coats.

Many thanks,

Or you could prime different panels in black or grey, that would vary the shade. Also mist it over some aluminium again that would give you variations. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Johnson said:

So, has anyone tried to add green pigments to either Alclad 2

Yes Alclad 2 can be tinted with Humbrol enamel. I haven't tried other paints but that doesn't mean others wont work. This only works with the low shine Alclads

The high shine Alclad just turns in an unusable mess in the mixing cup instantly. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Yes Alclad 2 can be tinted with Humbrol enamel. I haven't tried other paints but that doesn't mean others wont work. This only works with the low shine Alclads

The high shine Alclad just turns in an unusable mess in the mixing cup instantly.

Thanks CT. Alclad would be my first choice as I already have it. Was it the basic Alclad 2 ALC-101 Aluminium that was OK?

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

A small amount of food colouring in Klear/Future/Astonish over a shiney silver base

That's also a good suggestion BK, thanks.

I'll be using the 1/72 CMR Spitfire Prototype kit which is resin, not may favourite surface for painting, I've had problems with Alclad peeling off resin before. But that was ALC-105 Polished Aluminium, not the ALC-101 Aluminium that I intend to use on K5054. As CT hints above, there are differences in the formulation of the high shine / low shine Aclad finishes and this is possibly why they stick better?

And I still want to try the AK metallic aluminium. I can see lots of experiments coming up!

Cheers,

17 hours ago, Johnson said:

Was it the basic Alclad 2 ALC-101 Aluminium that was OK?

I used ALC106 white aluminium but I think it works on any of the low shine Alclads. Give it a try and see what works. 

Also it is very good for varying the shades using tiny trace amounts of black, white, Grey or colour for different panels on NMF aircraft.

CT

• Thanks 1