Original Airfix Lancaster G for George

I first built this kit in 1969 and then retrieved it from my parents' attic in this state back in 2014.

spacer.png

Here she is rebuilt.  Using decals courtesy of a fellow modeler,  I was able to finish her in the same markings as the first time I built her.  She's finished as AR-G W4783 and served on 90 operations with a Royal Australian Air Force squadron in WW2 before being retired and sent to Australia.  She's preserved in the National War Museum in Canberra.   Far from perfect but the nostalgia factor outweighs all her faults for me.

David

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 47
  • Thanks 2

So glad you got those decals David. That really looks great and rebuilding this in such a way is a fitting tribute to your youth and greatly acquired modelling skills in that time span. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh that takes me way back. I had one built for me by my uncle. It must have been 1962-63 ish as I was still at primary school and about ten years old. It seemed huge and very complicated and it was not so much played with but looked at a little in awe. 

Great rebuild of a truly great kit of an even greater subject

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also built this kit in about 1968, I believe. It was also built wheels-up and mounted on the stand.  Later on, I added an H2S blister, using some clear half-egg shape for some other non-aircraft kit. Definitely not accurate, but hey, it looked good to me.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What a beauty!

I had one of these hanging from my bedroom ceiling throughout my childhood years.

It got a decade's worth of dust gathered on top of it and moths ate most of the decals - but I sure loved that model.

Your build really does it justice (far better than mine did).

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Nicely done David :thumbsup:

'George' will soon be dismantled and moved back to the storage annex. The AWM is getting a $500M expansion over the next 5 years so some of the newer inventory can be displayed. The current aircraft hall will be demolished to make way for a larger 2 floor hall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gosh.  Do I remember saving up my 7/6d for one of these (or it may have been a Halifax) in my long lost youth.

That seemed like a small fortune.  Now we shell out £30+ for a similar model.

The costs have climbed considerably. 

And the plastic has improved exponentially too.

But the excitement?

It is still there on opening the box and peering at the contents, for me at least.

Nice to see some well thought through re-cycling of plastic.

Bravo.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.   It seems a lot of us have a nostalgic feeling for this old mould.  

Ray, I assume G for George will be returned to display after the museum refurbishing?

David

Lovely job David , no doubt you have brought back many memories for modellers of a certain age , myself included.

For me it was the box art of the Lanc coming into land with the port engine on fire that made me want this kit all those years ago.

Well done on a fine restoration , you have done the old girl proud .  :goodjob:

• Thanks 1