1/72 Trumpeter Su-33UB Flanker

Evening all,

One of the advantages of all this isolation is freeing up time for activities at home. Build five for the year and it's another Flanker, this time the two seat Su-33UB trainer version. Arguably the ugly duckling of the Flanker family, but still a beautiful beast. A bit of a rush job in the end but frankly I wanted off the bench, having started it alongside the single seater a few months back but struggled to find a close enough match for the paler blue which caused the delay. Finished as is now customary with Hataka Orange Line and Alclad lacquers with a final coat of W&N Matt varnish. 

49674076391_ffafb58c8d_o.jpg1/72 Trumpeter Sukhoi Su-33UB Flanker by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

49673535023_65e78310de_o.jpg1/72 Trumpeter Sukhoi Su-33UB Flanker by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

49674355272_1b10ffaa87_o.jpg1/72 Trumpeter Sukhoi Su-33UB Flanker by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

49673534973_0b5bda7818_o.jpg1/72 Trumpeter Sukhoi Su-33UB Flanker by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Thanks for looking comments welcomed,

Stay safe all,

Shaun

• Like 21

Great model Shaun - excellent build and finish. :worthy:

Mine has been stalled for a couple of years since it first came out - I'm not happy with my colours on it.

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_su-33ub.html

As I understand it, the wings are vertical when folded - not angled like the Su-33.

This is because the wing fold is further outboard so when folded vertical they are the same height as the fins.

The stabs also don't fold - they are the same span as the folded wing.

I was planning to build it alongside Su-33 Bort 88 - which had an experimental built-in retractable boarding ladder.

I wanted to do the Su-33 all folded up - nose probe, tailcone, wings and stabs - with the ladder down.

Your build might just be the inspiration I need to finish both of them....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 2

Think your pale blue looks great, having spent years researching.

Great flanker, I’m looking forward to checking out your others.

Great work

• Like 1

Thanks all, much appreciated :)

On 3/18/2020 at 10:52 PM, Ralph said:

Top model! Is the real airframe still flying?

I'm not too sure TBH, although having searched Google for images, none of them seemed too recent, so I'd say it was unlikely...