Revell Sea Hurricane IIC 768 NAS Fleet Air Arm 1944

TEMPESTMK5

Good evening

For my participation in this GB I will build the Revell Sea Hurricane IIC in the markings of an aircraft of the 768 NASquadron ..

200318061736180211.jpg

The box art

200318061734943339.jpg

The sprues  
 200318061735226745.jpg

The decals sheet
 200318061735921776.jpg

I will use an Eduard detailling set
200318061735642217.jpg

I started by painting the interior of the fuselage in Green Humbrol 78 , the landing gear legs in NMF ..

Patrice

• Like 8

Be nice to see this done, I'm waiting for the 'Printscale' Sea Hurricane sheet to arrive at my LHS. Depending on how my other projects go I might do a Mk 1b, an 'Operation Pedestal' machine, using the Airfix new tool and the AlleyCat conversion I have.

Never done a Revell Hurricane before, but their other small fighter kits I've done seem to go together well.

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Be nice to see this done, I'm waiting for the 'Printscale' Sea Hurricane sheet to arrive at my LHS. Depending on how my other projects go I might do a Mk 1b, an 'Operation Pedestal' machine, using the Airfix new tool and the AlleyCat conversion I have.

Never done a Revell Hurricane before, but their other small fighter kits I've done seem to go together well.

Davey.

Good morning Davey

This Revell Hurricane is nice but I will try to improve it with the Eduard  PE set ..

I ma lookning forward to see your build of the Airfix Huricane

All the best

Patrice

17 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

For my participation in this GB I will build the Revell Sea Hurricane IIC in the markings of an aircraft of the 768 NASquadron ..

200318061736180211.jpg

more poor profiles.

768 Sq were on HMS Ravager, at Inskip,  and were a training squadron, for Firefly pilots,  which is why they had rocket rails installed. 

RN Training units have yellow codes.  Alternately they could be Sky.  But not red.

compare roundel centre and outer ring with the codes, also lack of cannon. 

October_4th_1944_Sea_Hurricane_NF728_K1_

note additional aerials, in underwing roundel and behind radiator

HMS-Ravager-Sea-Hurricane-KI-F-NF728-aft

HMS-Ravager-Sea-Hurricane-KI-F-NF728-aft

Given the Revell Hurricane is not the greatest Hurricane kit,  you may wish to ignore this, or just build the codeless aircraft.   

Anyway, I hope the pictures are of interest.

PS this is a thread on the White Sea Hurricanes, which are the other option in the model

Edited by Troy Smith
add link
  • Like 2

Good afternoon Troy

Thank you for the pictures but I think that I will go on with this decal option and build it as proposed by Revell I don't have rocket rails or yellow decals , I just want to take part to this Gb before the Spitfire STGB next month..

All the best

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

Looks like a bad day for landings! The Revell Hurricane may be outdated now but it was pretty welcome when it came out, and it's a nice kit to build. (The cannons are very fragile though!) Looking forward to seeing it. 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks like a bad day for landings! The Revell Hurricane may be outdated now but it was pretty welcome when it came out, and it's a nice kit to build. (The cannons are very fragile though!) Looking forward to seeing it. 

Regards,

Adrian

Hello Adrian

Thank you , I will do my best no to spoil this build ...

Best regards

Patrice

Good evening

Today I placed the Eduard seat and the stick

20032008250534227.jpg

And I closed the 2 fuselage halves
 200320082504334393.jpg

(Sorry for the por quality of the pics ...)

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 8

Good evening

Today I placed the landing gear , I replaced the propeller of the kit by one propeller from the spare box and I closed the canopy ..

200403085545622576.jpg

200403085545982831.jpg

200403085546315691.jpg

200403085546656358.jpg 

Patrice

• Like 11

• 8 months later...

Discovered this thread recently, after starting the Revell Sea Hurricane. My model was intended to be finished (per Revell illustration) as NF728  K1*F, but the comments and photos posted by Troy Smith are giving me pause. It would appear that, despite being a Sea Hurricane IIc , no cannon were fitted. Also, Troy asserts that the fuselage codes were yellow, not red. 

• Were the cannon fairings retained on Mk IIc training aircraft such as this?
  • If not were there any protrusions/stubs present? 
  • Could this have been a Mk. IIb aircraft instead?
  • Is there consensus that  the codes were not red? I have taken the kit decals and instructions at face value, and referred to the illustration in 'SAM Colours #2 ....Hurricane...'. publication, p.47.  Troy Smith asserts that this profile is inaccurate.

Please do not take this as argumentative, but more as an attempt at confirmation of the code colours. Also, if there was a photo of a Hurricane IIc  without cannon taken from the front, that would assist me immeasurably in my quest for accuracy

TIA   KE

There are photos of this unit's Hurricanes (I can't say offhand whether this included K1.F though I suspect so).  Yes, the cannon stubs were retained (or apparently not in this case, sorry) thus clearly Mk.IIc not Mk.IIb, although the serials tell you that anyway.  Yellow was the normal colour used for FAA training aircraft in this period, red (although not always) for operational types.

However, they were also carrying the blast plates for the rockets and the fittings, but not the rails themselves.  They were used for training would-be Firefly pilots in rocket firing, and for deck landing training.  Photos exist of this training on HMS Ravager, including a crash showing the underside clearly.  I don't recall what these photos imply for the code colour, but as Troy has these photos presumably his comments are based on looking at them.  They have been posted more than once on this forum, so a search for Sea Hurricanes should find them.  Theoretically, anyway.

They operated from Inskip Naval Air Station, just a few miles up the road from me tonight.  Long gone before I reached the area, sadly.

PS  It is always possible that some at least of these aircraft retained the cannon for air-to-ground firing, but this isn't stated anywhere.  I suspect this would have been better done on their eventual Fireflies.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, styreno said:

Discovered this thread recently, after starting the Revell Sea Hurricane. My model was intended to be finished (per Revell illustration) as NF728  K1*F, but the comments and photos posted by Troy Smith are giving me pause. It would appear that, despite being a Sea Hurricane IIc , no cannon were fitted. Also, Troy asserts that the fuselage codes were yellow, not red. 

• Were the cannon fairings retained on Mk IIc training aircraft such as this?If not were there any protrusions/stubs present? 
  • Could this have been a Mk. IIb aircraft instead?
  • Is there consensus that  the codes were not red? I have taken the kit decals and instructions at face value, and referred to the illustration in 'SAM Colours #2 ....Hurricane...'. publication, p.47.  Troy Smith asserts that this profile is inaccurate.

OK,  I have tried to answer your questions with relevant supporting material.

Please refer back to this image, 

October_4th_1944_Sea_Hurricane_NF728_K1_

The unit was a training unit, for Firefly pilots to practice with rockets.  the 20mm cannon were heavy, , combined with rockets would be really clumsy.   I cannot see any trace of cannon barrels or stubs, and the rocket blast plates have blocked off the ejector slots.

All of these point to the cannons being removed.  The stubs can be removed, and blanking plates fitted.  Hard to tell, but I can see no trace of stubs in the above photo.

No. its not a Mk.IIb

there were a few b wing Sea Hurricanes on Operations Torch.   otherwise all Sea Hurricane II's I have seen are c wing.  NF728 is part of a batch listed in Air Britain as a Sea Hurricane IIc

this is a page from a RN pilots log book, flying with 760 Sq, note both Firefly and Hurricane listed.  Note, this lists rocket tests, so at some point they had rails and rockets fitted.   

85_12G.jpg

Sturtivant has a book of FAA serials,  perhaps @Graham Boak or @Seahawk  might be able to add a little.

the SAM colours book listed is 20 years old, and is full of errors, as are many older books.

Code colours,  Look at the photo.

the roundel centres are red.  the letters are a lighter tone.  RN training units used yellow codes.

6737603639_27536ee6ea_b.jpgR.N. Seafire by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

They could be Sky, but, again, RN Training units used yellow codes.

Please do not take this as argumentative, but more as an attempt at confirmation of the code colours. Also, if there was a photo of a Hurricane IIc  without cannon taken from the front, that would assist me immeasurably in my quest for accuracy

TIA   KE

if you put a '@' symbol, you can tag a post like @styreno  and it notifies. 

HTH

• Like 1

Thank you for the prompt replies, Graham and Troy. 
The cannon (on the model) can be removed, no problem there. Sturtivant confirms that NF728 was a Mk. IIc.

Sadly, I have the red codes on the model, so a decision needs to be made regarding finish. I doubt that I have alternate decals.

Always grateful and pleased to obtain responses to the questions I have on this forum.

KE

Edited by styreno