Al Worden RIP

GordonD

:poppy: 

On the other hand, he was 88. Considering their pre-astronaut careers, the whole boldly going with untried technology to where no man has been before thing, and the potential issues of dealing with dislocation and coping with fame after their return, as a cohort the first tranche of the astronaut corps seem to generally have lived long and prospered... God speed to all of them.

best,

M.

47 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Al seemed to be a bit of a Grumpy Old Astronaut. I've seen him on You Tube at various conventions etc and he did seem to be a bit short with the enthusiasts who turned up.

the threat of being asked about "stampgate" ? 

For those confused...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_15_postal_covers_incident

just for perspective,  

Worden recalled that the astronauts were told the covers would not be sold until some time in the future after the Apollo program had ended. They would receive $7,000 each. They were informed that other Apollo crews had made and profited from similar agreements. Earlier astronauts had been given free life insurance by Life magazine. This benefit was no longer available by the time of Apollo 15. Worden wrote that to ensure their families were provided for given the severe risks and dangers of their profession, the astronauts agreed to the deal, planning to put the payments aside as funds for their children.[22][23] At the time, Scott earned $2,199 a month as an astronaut, Worden $1,715 and Irwin $2,235.[24]

I remember "Stampgate" - although it wasn't called that at the time. It happened before the Watergate Scandal broke so began to be called Stampgate retrospectively. I think it is best described as an "error of judgement" by the crew.

Edited by Eric Mc