Halberstadt CL.II Mirage Hobby

Just staying at home, thankfully I have a large stash of models to keep me busy but no more going to the LHS for that one-off paint color – it is going to have to be mixed.  I either have it here or I will need to do without or wait for mail order to arrive.  Am waiting now of a decal set for my next project so here is my latest effort, the Mirage Hobby Halberstadt CL.II.  This served as a German ground attack aircraft in WWI.  A two-seater that had the pilot and rear gunner in the same extended cockpit.  There are problems, one in particular is the fuselage band is not far enough back.  Also, I have concluded that I hate doing lozenge but what choice do you have if you want German aircraft from later in WWI.  The kit is expensive to begin with and then they don’t include lozenge decals. And this particular aircraft had bombs which are also not included in the kit (I scratch built a few).  The decals for the fuselage which try to duplicate the stipple (dot) paint scheme is going to be hard to get right as they are not sperate by panel but continuous so I scraped that idea and used large old brush from my wife and it worked OK.  Also, there is no way the wings are going to stay put unless you insert pins, which I did.  That done it seems to stay together.  Comes with lots of photo-etch with I used some of.  I am also not convince all the colors are right as they only have Vallerjo call-outs and they don’t easily translate to Tamiya (which I have lots of).

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 21

Beautiful model! This fuselage camo must have been quite an effort - looks very nice in contrast to the lozenge wings.

We're now all staying at home and take the opportunity to reduce our stack of unbuilt models, it seems. Fortunately I've got all the colours recently that I will need for the next 12 months...

• Like 1

That really is a stunner!

Poor (and surprising) that the kit does not include lozenge decals though

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Very nice result ! 👍

Indeed applying lozenge is always difficult.  But in spite of all the problems, it looks fine.  

Those german two- seaters will always be a struggle , I know......😀

Thanks for showing ! 

Cheers

JohnHaa 

• Like 1

Excellent build, I'm sure that there is not one part of it that was easy to do with that lozenge, splatter finish, rigging etc, but you've done it full justice.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

That is a model to be very proud to have in the cabinet. The finish is first class and one could never tell that you had problems with it. I really like these less well known types - especially when they are as colourful as this.

P

• Like 1