Due to Covid19 Kitty Hawk & Panda "slowed down" in 2020 - Zimi Model purchased Kitty Hawk /Panda models molds & projects in 2023

Homebee

I have eight KH Furys, three -2's and five -3's. All with Hypersonic's resin sets. Two of the -2's and four of the -3's are still in the box while one -3 is under construction converting it to an early -3 with a slatted wing from a -2. I need to get it to the paint barn soon. It will be in the GSB scheme with VF-33 markings using Caracal's decals. I guess I really like Furys. The issue I've found with KH's kits is Mr. Song tried to design in the kits with as much detail as could be accomplished in plastic. The Furys are a bit fiddly but very accurate. His earlier kits like the Cougars seemed a bit clunky on the sprues but later kits had a higher degree of fineness. Still the Cougs are not bad kits just a few issued like the nose gear oleo being too short. A similar issue with the Fury kits too. It will be good to see them back in production. Maybe they will complete some of the other projects KH had going like the Tiger, Cutlass and the late Banshee.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, jpk said:

while one -3 is under construction converting it to an early -3 with a slatted wing from a -2. I need to get it to the paint barn soon. It will be in the GSB scheme

I want to do the same conversion - a GSB sept wing jet is just so funky. Hopefully the sprues will become available via Trumpy.

Will

The only reason I am building the early slat wing FJ-3 is because I purchased a KH FJ-3 mail order and the box was damaged in transit. The kit was fine except for the canopy. It was crushed. I tried to get a replacement from KH but it was right when they shut down shop so a replacement clear sprue was not available. I decided to kit bash my -2 parts with the damaged -3 using the slatted wings and the Hypersonic -2 rudder and stab set. Trying to decide how I need to mask off the silver parts from the GSB parts since the slat wing has already been built.

One thing I have noticed in the conversion. You can't use the -2 ammo bay panels with the -3 fuselage because of the added depth of the -3 fuselage forward of the wing. You will need to use the -3 and add the little fillets to the doors where they blend into the wing.   

On 3/31/2022 at 9:32 AM, jpk said:

Maybe they will complete some of the other projects KH had going like the Tiger, Cutlass and the late Banshee.  

Definitely want the Cutlass!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

KItty Hawk may be coming back from the dead as Zimi Models. From a post on LSP Forum: 

Looks like the Chinese company Zimi model has acquired many of the Kittyhawk molds. On their website they are offering several 1:48 and 1:32 scale aircraft of formerly Kittyhawk kits. Website: https://www.zimimodel.com 

I looked around the website.  The site is still "under construction" and not ready for sales, everything has the same price, but the images for kits are the old Kitty Hawk box art.  I only know Kitty Hawk 1/48th line, but it looks fairly complete and had several announced but not released kits like a Ka-52 and Vought F6U Pirate listed. Kit instructions are available for some kits to download as .pdf files.  They have updated the instructions to at least swap out the the company logo.  I saw a couple that had red line comments in what looked like hand written Chinese.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to Due to the COVID-19 crisis Kitty Hawk & Panda have "slowed down" - Storm Factory & Zimi Model purchased molds made by Kitty Hawk /Panda models

Chinese companies Zimi model (& Storm Factory ?) have obviously acquired many of the Kitty Hawk molds and projects.

Zimi Model - The shop (clearly not yet fully working. Under development) : https://www.zimimodel.com/shop/

Twitter (oops X) https://twitter.com/zimimodel

YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/@zimimodel

See also: https://www.facebook.com/groups/418108305193580/posts/2017271708610557/

Time will tell

F3i43e-Rac-AAe-PJ.jpg

0d25dd087bf40ad1baf1d3d2112c11dfa9ecce4d

2661670e7bec54e707920b2fff389b504fc26a67

Storm Factory recently reboxed the 1/32nd F-5E/F kits -  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235119381-132-f-5en-and-f-5f-by-storm-factory/ and is reissuing the 1/35th Boeing AH-6J/MH-6J Little Bird (link) and Hong ZSU-23-4 kits.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to Due to the COVID-19 crisis Kitty Hawk & Panda have "slowed down" - Zimi Model purchased Kitty Hawk /Panda models molds & projects

Strange...if you go to the shop, select an "available" kit (say the 1/32 T-6), you can view the different components of the kit (sprues, decals, PE) using the drop-down menu and you then get a price for the selected item : 50 Yuans for the decal sheet, 20 for the PE, 40 for each sprue...

???

MB

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MarcB said:

Strange...if you go to the shop, select an "available" kit (say the 1/32 T-6), you can view the different components of the kit (sprues, decals, PE) using the drop-down menu and you then get a price for the selected item : 50 Yuans for the decal sheet, 20 for the PE, 40 for each sprue...

???

MB

Looks like they got yet to be boxed products.

11 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

But weren't KH a bit lime trumpyboss?

Good on a good day, but inexplicably inconsistent the rest of the time?

my experience with their 1/32 kits is they have the occasional engineering puzzle, instructions lack detail (eg paint) but the kits make up into what I consider my best looking builds. Depends what floats your boat but I'd rather take a kitty hawk 1/32 kit over a tamiya 1/32 kit every day. Their subjects are a big tick for me - the kingfisher, trojan (built mine as a fennec), bronco and F-86D stand out from all my other builds. I've no idea how they stand in terms of accuracy as that's not something I care about. If you have never built one I'd definitely give one a go.  

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 9:00 PM, Bozothenutter said:

But weren't KH a bit li[k]e trumpyboss?

Good on a good day, but inexplicably inconsistent the rest of the time?

I only ever built 2, and they were a challenge for all but the most tortured builder! Trumpy/HB are at least pretty straightforward to build, not like the bizarre Heath Robinson* contraptions that KH produced 🤔

*or Rube Goldberg, for those across the pond!

• Haha 3

Interesting that the Aircraft line is illustrated with a painting of a Spitfire over Malta - since they do not have no such a kit. From what I have heard, Kittyhawk kits can be compared to earlier Kinetic kits. They offer great detail but a little too often they suffer from pretty bad fit. I have a number of them in my stash, however. I have not dared to start any of them yet... 

If Zimi is looking for new subjects to do, then they could do worse than produce an RF-8 Photo Crusader. There have been resin and I think vacuform conversions but this is an important subject because of its role in the Cuban Missile Crisis that really needs a dedicated kit.

rf-8g-DNSC9806230_JPG.jpg

RF-8G_VFP-63_1976.JPEG

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Good to see these come back. :)

I just bought the Kitty Hawk SU-22 (with resin nose and third party belly).

The Hobby Boss is supposed to be easier to build, but the Kitty Hawk has one distinct advantage; THE WINGS ACTUALLY FOLD!
I do not know what Hobby boss were thinking in making a swing wing jet without the ability to swing its wings...

No, I am not going to "play" with my model, but the very piece de resistance of a swinger is the swing....

Edited by SprueMan

6 minutes ago, SprueMan said:

No, I am not going to "play" with my model, but the very piece de resistance of a swinger is the swing....

my mind went elsewhere - where the upside down pineapple resides and pampus grass grows........ But then remembered which internet site I was on 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, npb748r said:

my mind went elsewhere - where the upside down pineapple resides and pampus grass grows........ But then remembered which internet site I was on 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, I was thinking of how close I should phrase the post without raising the eyebrows, so to speak :D

• Haha 1

Kitty Hawk kits are great if you find your blood pressure getting too low and you need to quickly raise it. So many missed opportunities with their subjects. I found their kits to be overly complex and over engineered, plus the random and inappropriate use of photo etched parts where plastic would have been a better choice. That said, I’ll stock up on beer and migraine pills and buy the F6U if it ever comes to pass.

Ben

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Kitty Hawk kits are great if you find your blood pressure getting too low and you need to quickly raise it...

I have to agree.  I have built a couple of their kits and I will build the others in my stash.  Like anything they have positives and negatives.  Positive is they have some great subjects and I like the level of detail in their kits.  On the negative: the ones I built would mate parts where their was no panel line which guarantees some putty and sanding.  Tolerances are tight and you must think ahead as you build.  Don't rely on the instructions to bale you out - fit and refit.  But I love the Jaguar I built, it looks great.  I have the Su-17 and Su-34 and a couple more in my stash and I think they are the best ones available.  I really do want their F-101 too but they have gotten expensive.  I wish these guys the best in getting the old and new kits into the market!

• Like 2

If Zimi is looking for new subjects to do, then they could do worse than produce an RF-8 Photo Crusader. There have been resin and I think vacuform conversions but this is an important subject because of its role in the Cuban Missile Crisis that really needs a dedicated kit.

Must agree, can't for the life of me understand why someone hasn't kitted the RF-8, as you say an important type, a good looking aircraft and plenty of fancy schemes. Personally I'd like to see the RF-101C back and the Ka-52 released, who knows. Only have one of their kits, the F-94C...still in it's box so can't comment on it's 'buildability', looks pretty straightforward but in my book nothing's really unbuildable, (and yes, I include Mach2 and FM in that, have plenty of those), it's the amount of work you're prepared to put in that matters. Potentially good news,anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SprueMan said:

Good to see these come back. :)

The Hobby Boss is supposed to be easier to build, but the Kitty Hawk has one distinct advantage; THE WINGS ACTUALLY FOLD!
I do not know what Hobby boss were thinking in making a swing wing jet without the ability to swing its wings...

I've built there Su-17/22 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes I had to buy a resin shock cone but hey ho. I have another in the stash and will be buying the UMK kit when its re-released.

22 hours ago, SprueMan said:

Which ones did you get? I only know of two offhand. A.M.U.R. Reaver (new release) and Cold War Studio. Just curious which is better.

22 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Also the early versions. E.g. F-8C/K while they're at it.