Bristol Beaufighter MK II, 789 Sqn, FAA, South Africa. 1945 ***FINISHED 05/04/2020***

DaveyGair

The 'stickers' are on.  Applying the decals over wet 'Klear' works fine, no silvering, and you have time to manoeuvre the decal into place.  I think the drying process does draw the decal in a little but I 'helped' a little by using a brush to 'stipple' along the panel line and a bit of use of a thumbnail!

Next time you see her she'll be finished and matted down a bit, maybe slight weathering around the engines but I don't a lot in that department.

By the way, no markings at all on the bottom.

Davey.

DSC_0111 DSC_0112 DSC_0113

• Like 6

• DaveyGair changed the title to Bristol Beaufighter MK II, 789 Sqn, FAA, South Africa. 1945 ***FINISHED 05/04/2020***

Well, this has been one of my more pleasant builds, considering it involved some hefty resin parts!

The conversion was superbly produced, I only came across a couple of air holes in the props which were easily taken care of.

The final fitting of the Airfix parts was good. The clear parts fitted perfectly into the wings. I had to shave off some plastic the get the undercarriage legs and the underwing pitot to fit into the slots in the wings. Mind, I had to do the same for the aerial mast.

I was pleased I bought a Humbrol Workstation a while ago in a sale online, with their A4 mat, as it has plans for 3, 4 and 5 blade props, so helped me get the kit parts set OK.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Now to set to work knocking the Hudson into shape!

Davey.

DSC_0126 DSC_0128 DSC_0130 DSC_0131 DSC_0132 DSC_0137

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Stunning, really nice finish! I need to find one of these.

Rob

Here you go Rob.

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/bristol-beaufighter-mk2-merlin-powered-later-conversion-airfix-6625-p.asp

Don't forget to order the flat tail-planes as well.

Davey

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Thanks 1

That came up beautifully Davey, the decals look really good on it. You're right in surmising that as the Klear dries it sucks the decals into panel lines though a little help does no harm. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1