Eduard 1/72 F6F-3 Hellcat (Weekend Edition)

Latest off the bench is the Eduard 1/72 F6F-3 Hellcat (Weekend Edition).

I used this build as a palate-cleanser after fighting with an Italeri kit for my previous build.

I wanted a nice, simple build where I could focus on the finish rather than copious amounts of filler and sanding etc.

Fit was very good, only slight sanding required to remove seam lines.

I tried black-basing to see what effect this technique has under darker colours, but found it difficult to get much tonal variation.

I originally finished it as a clean model, but wasn't entirely happy with it. After sitting on display for 24 hrs I decided to use it as a test bed for some post-shading and highlighting techniques with oils and pastels on the upper wing surfaces.

Also attempted some exhaust stains with chalk pastels and chipping with a sponge. I generally struggle in the weathering phase, so any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Built OOB with the exception of antenna wire with EZ-Line.

Cheers

y4mKVcZFXLB_mAKEN8aMhpt4QPylgkDet41zrHvR

y4mFYaxqE8fqPzhLV-dZV6H18FMTjiG3aGS2JNIz

y4mT5vhNuN7WgE8ABZaWu2JjD3A3wtN8poAvG-wt

y4m63FbF6yAOmqn2-cprI-h5_AlSP4f51zwLebll

y4mLSnRsaRGisMrdNelPKQrts7BV2A7YxvMUPXSp

y4mJmD_2X1uPoxGPvj2zjsrhWSWtAa4KgO63RG_8

• Like 29

Fun kit innit?  The prop hub is the worst bit appearance-wise and painting it a different colour helps it look better.

The underside is gorgeous.  My inner Hellcat nerd would suggest toning down the chipping on the cowl and adding some pale exhaust stains to compliment the nice sooty ones you've applied topside.