Hello from Sleaford, Lincolnshire

klubman01

Hello all

My name is Trevor. I have lived in Sleaford for the past 22 years, but have model making, on and off, for a very long time.  Probably the thing that kicked it off seriously was when I was groundcrew at RAF Honington in the late seventies.  Neil Robinson did a short series in Scale Models magazine on RAF colour schemes, one of which was the Buccaneer.  So, into Bury St Edmunds, buy Matchbox kit, plus Milliput, paints, etc. and that's what started it.

I built 1/72 aircraft for quite a while but over the past 20-odd years have been mostly building 1/43 scale resin kits of Can-Am and Le Mans cars, mostly Porsche 917s.

Still make the occasional aircraft - in fact I'm about to embark on a better Buccaneer, hopefully an improvement over my original effort of 42 years ago!

• Like 4

Hello Trevor... :post1: from across the pond in Chicago. Good luck on the Buccaneer, i just built the old Frog kit last fall. And there is a Buccaneer themed Group build starting in a about 6-7 weeks.

Might be worth looking into it if you're interested ?  

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much, I'll look into that.

Apart from making the occasional model/kit, my other interest is the Classic Mini.  We have four in the family which gives me plenty to do in terms of maintenance, etc.

Once I've learned how to deal with pictures, etc. I'll post some images of models and real cars!

• Like 1

Welcome from an Ex-Pat Suffolk lad in Derbyshire :D you've found IMHO one of the best sites on the Interweb and No1 for model-making.

70s Bury St. Edmunds would that be the legendary C.F.Rogers? Three shops knocked together and stuffed with styrene lovliness?

Buccaneer is a great choice and hopefully the new Airfix kit will be a vast improvement on the adapted prototype from first time around. Working in 48th I'm up to human sacrifice level for a new kit in that scale. Certain politicians take note!

There's a great shop in Newark and the Newark Museum has a great shop with many s/hand bargains.

And a Mini fan too :) I had quite a few of them and wished I still did, but at the time they were as cheap as chips and I was smitten by a Rover P6. Good to see you've kept the faith.

Trevor, Welcome to the forum, Nice to have another 917 fan on here. I'll second the comments above about Access models in Newark.

We have B & H models in Lincoln of course but I've only been in there once since they moved! Newark is easier for me since we deliver there.

I'm off to Spalding early tomorrow morning in an 18 tonner loaded with beer, so give me a wave as I go past. Pete

Thanks for that.  I'm familiar with both Access Models and B&H Models.  Proper model shops - bit of a dying breed these days.

Good luck with the beer run!

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum, my mum was from around Swineshead, not a million miles away and it was a meeting with Neil Robinson in a long departed model shop that introduced me to the local IPMS branch and to take modelling a bit more seriously. 

Thanks to all for the friendly reception I've had.

BTW, I'm not a true Yellowbelly as I was born in North London.  Subsequently, the RAF has posted me to various parts of UK, although that did include three tours in Lincolnshire and I have lived in Sleaford since 1998.

• Like 2

Hello young man. Have sold you a few models in past. 

You must come along to our club night when things clear up. Have one member who has huge experience in 1/43

PM me for details 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CCC said:

Hello young man. Have sold you a few models in past. 

You must come along to our club night when things clear up. Have one member who has huge experience in 1/43

PM me for details 

spacer.png

Thanks very much, will do.  Above is one of my models - an ESDO Chaparral 2 as raced at Sebring 1965.

Trevor

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is still a slightly sad look Buccaneer on the gate at Honnington.  I am further down the road nearer Wattisham building lots of models of Cold War jets.  Be looking forward to seeing how your a Bucc turns out.

A friend of mine lived in Bury St Edmunds until recently.  On a visit, I drove past Honington and saw the S2 on the gate.  When I was stationed there, it was an ex-Navy S1 on the gate.  We used to rob it for spares if stores didn't have what was needed, and replace the robbed item with the unserviceable part.

• Like 1

I use postimage.

It's the only I have used so can't comment on others, but I know from other forums that Photo Bucket is problematic.

Once you have uploaded photos it's quite easy to post them here.  Top Tip; there is a drop down menu labelled "Codes for all images".  Use the option "Direct link".  Copy and paste into the forum, and, bingo, an image appears.

Hope that is of use to you.