Hansa Brandenburg W.29 - Eastern Express 1/72

Misterfriend

Hello all

Thought I'd jump in on this with the Eastern Express Hansa Brandenburg W.29 that's been languishing in my stash for some time. I've finally sorted out my workspace so hopefully this one won't get interrupted. 

Should be a fairly straigh forward build, may add a little to the cockpit but it's not bad for this scale. Some nasty ejector pin stubs to remove from the inside and a little bit flashy all round. The only markings illustration in the instructions is for a Norwegian machine that it doesn't include the decals for! I'll be using the Wingnuts instruction booklet as a reference for the Kaiserliche Marine machine I'll build. 

w-29.jpg

w-29-3.jpg

w-29-1.jpg

w-29-2.jpg

• Like 9

Got some of the little subassemblies done. The fit of the wings to the fuselage is a not good, going to be a bit of fettling and fertling to get that right. Will be adding a few bits to the interior like a rack of ammo drums and the auxiliary tank behind the pilot. 

w-29-5.jpg

The engine supplied looks more like a Daimler Mercedes D.III rather than the Benz motor they were fitted with. For the plane I'm modelling the exhausts should be on the port side. The instructions do show the option of building the engine this way but they don't include the parts to do that!! If I had a spare engine in my spares tub I'd be tempted to do some major surgery on the engine but, as i don't (I have half and engine but not the half I want!), I think I will just live with the exhausts being on the wrong side. I am making fresh exhaust pipes from stretched cotton buds. 

Cheers

Segan

w-29-4.jpg

• Like 4

Pity Aeroclub are not still trading - I have a few WWI white metal engines of theirs including some nice german inlines, though I suspect they are all Mercedes, Austro Daimler or Argus. 

Pete

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 2:54 PM, JOCKNEY said:

One of my favourites actually bigger than you think. 

Look forward to seeing you bring this one to life 

cheers Pat 

Yeah, she is a beast, dwarfs most of my other 1/72 WWI planes.

On 3/21/2020 at 12:39 AM, CliffB said:

That's a great choice Segan.  You can't beat some nice lozenge fabric.  I hope the decals work well for you.

Cheers

I hope the decals work. They are very matte and I don't 100% trust them Going to do a test with one of the crosses I dont need for this scheme and see how they perform

• Like 2

Fingers crossed for the decals .  As this is a re pop of a Toko/Roden kit I hope Eastern Express have improved the decals otherwise a fear that there will be pain.

AW

Edited by Andwil
Toko - damned autocorrect!
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, Andwil said:

Fingers crossed for the decals .  As this is a re pop of a Tokyo/Roden kit I hope Eastern Express have improved the decals otherwise a fear that there will be pain.

AW

Yeah I've experienced Roden decals before, whoever is in charge of r & d in their decal department seems to have developed a hydrophobic decal! I gave these a little test run with one of the spare crosses and it wasn't terrible, little bit fragile so the big wing lozenges are gonna be fun, but  not down to Roden's usual standard! 

Little bit of work on the interior, added some bulkheads, stowage bin, radio, auxiliary tank and a rough approximation of the ammo storage. Added a tank under the pilot seat too. Once the oils dry I'll give them a couple of light washes that should tone down the grain effect.  

Cheers

Segan

w-29-6.jpg

• Like 5

The office is just about done. Used the illustration from the Wingnuts instruction sheet to print out an instrument panel that look ok for this scale I think. I removed the control horns on the wings and will replace with PE ones I have. I'll finish working on the engine and then zip her up!

Cheers

Segan

w-29-7.jpg

w-29-8.jpg

• Like 5

Made some new exhausts from stretched cotton buds and pinned them to the engine so should be pretty solid. 

w-29-11.jpg

w-29-9.jpg

Fuselage is together and started work on the floats, added an extra strut int he middle of the floats that they seemed to have missed out. So far everything is going to together ok, definitely still need to work on the wing to fuselage fit as thats still not there but nothing major.

w-29-10.jpg

Cheers

Segan

• Like 9

Hi Segan,

You did a great job on the cockpit especially as it 1:72 scale. Nice work.

By the way what cotton buds are you using that you can stretch like that? Its a great idea.

Cheers

Joe M

Stick & String Rule O.K.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 2:26 PM, Joe M said:

Hi Segan,

You did a great job on the cockpit especially as it 1:72 scale. Nice work.

By the way what cotton buds are you using that you can stretch like that? Its a great idea.

Cheers

Joe M

Stick & String Rule O.K.

Thanks Joe!

The cotton buds are from CVS, any brand that's made from hollow plastic will do. The trick is then to gently heat them over a flame till it just starts to get soft and then slowly stretch them. Too much heat and it'll stretch too thin. Takes a while to finesse it, the first few times I tried it it didn't work for me and even this time I think I went through about 20 cotton buds to get six lengths about the same diameter.

Cheers

Segan

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Joe M said:

Thanks Segan,

So basically you're treating it as HSP.

The cotton buds that I'm using the stems are not plastic. I'll have to look out for other brands.

Cheers

Joe

Is HSP hollow stretched sprue? If so yes! The advantage of these is the walls are very thin. I've used hollow plastic cocktail stirrers as well to good effect, although I look a bit odd at the bar sticking them in my pocket. Ah I remember going to bars, they were fun days, maybe soon I'll be back in one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Misterfriend said:

Is HSP hollow stretched sprue? If so yes! The advantage of these is the walls are very thin. I've used hollow plastic cocktail stirrers as well to good effect, although I look a bit odd at the bar sticking them in my pocket. Ah I remember going to bars, they were fun days, maybe soon I'll be back in one!

Hi Segan

HSP = Heat stretched sprue. I did a demo on rigging aircraft for our IPMS branch in Ireland recently. I used some sprue: Uschi stretch cord and my favourite, wire. 0.122mm for 1:72 scale and 0.071mm for 1:144 scale.

Cheers

Joe M

Stick & String Rule O.K.

21 hours ago, Joe M said:

Hi Segan

HSP = Heat stretched sprue. I did a demo on rigging aircraft for our IPMS branch in Ireland recently. I used some sprue: Uschi stretch cord and my favourite, wire. 0.122mm for 1:72 scale and 0.071mm for 1:144 scale.

Cheers

Joe M

Stick & String Rule O.K.

Ah nice, I do like to learn a new acronym! Where do you get your 0.122mm wire from? I definitely like wire for some rigging rigging jobs where you can't get in with elastic thread. That Uschi stuff is the business.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 8:13 PM, Misterfriend said:

Ah nice, I do like to learn a new acronym! Where do you get your 0.122mm wire from? I definitely like wire for some rigging rigging jobs where you can't get in with elastic thread. That Uschi stuff is the business.

Hi Segan,

I'm based I Ireland but there is a company in the U.K. called The Scientific Wire Co. that sell wire in small rolls of different diameters and material. I retired a little early about 18 months ago and before leaving I purchased the stock of what we had for sale in the company I worked for in Ireland. The wire can be difficult to use as in 0.122mm and 0.071 as it tends to bend very easily. But can be straightened again equally easily. The wire comes in a roll. I normally cut of a few cm's at a time. Using a piece of glass as the base I roll the curled wire over the glass using a steel rule and this straightened it out. Using a compass with two sharp ends I measure out the length I want. Then I use some PVA glue on a cocktail stick and put a dab where I want the wire to go. Ditto at the end point. If I make a bags of it the PVA can be cleaned off with a cotton bud. If I bend it when putting it into place I just take it back to the glass and re roll it.

It can be a right Pain in the A and sometimes its one step forward and two steps back! I prefer wire to sprue as it does not sag if the weather gets to warm. Also the colour is naturally correct as it is wire. The only problem I have with the Uschi stuff is the colour. I must admit that I have used in where long stretches of wire are required.  

If you want some I'll send you a meter or two in the post and you can try it out. But a meter should last for a long time when used for rigging. I'm relatively new to this forum so I'm not sure if you can send me a private message with your address in the U.S but I'm sure that we can work out something on the address.

Photo below is of an AZ model of the Morane 'WR' Floatplane (1:72scale) that took part in the 1914 Schneider Trophy Race that was held in Monaco in April of that year and was the last Schneider Trophy Race before the beginning of WW1.

49576833042_32a2d6891c_z.jpgIMG_20190115_220958 by Joseph Moran, on Flickr

Also a picture of a Hansa Brandenburg B.1 (1:72 scale) also an AZ kit.

49664156592_7ba6688a5f_z.jpgIMG_20200315_170819 by Joseph Moran, on Flickr

I'll continue to follow your build with interest. Many years ago I made the Mericraft 1:72 scale kit of the Hansa Brandenburg W29 and its looks good in the naval lozenge finish.

Stay safe and away from this C19 Virus.

Cheers

Joe M

Stick & String Rule O.K.

Edited by Joe M
incorrect spelling
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 3:47 AM, Joe M said:

Hi Segan,

I'm based I Ireland but there is a company in the U.K. called The Scientific Wire Co. that sell wire in small rolls of different diameters and material. I retired a little early about 18 months ago and before leaving I purchased the stock of what we had for sale in the company I worked for in Ireland. The wire can be difficult to use as in 0.122mm and 0.071 as it tends to bend very easily. But can be straightened again equally easily. The wire comes in a roll. I normally cut of a few cm's at a time. Using a piece of glass as the base I roll the curled wire over the glass using a steel rule and this straightened it out. Using a compass with two sharp ends I measure out the length I want. Then I use some PVA glue on a cocktail stick and put a dab where I want the wire to go. Ditto at the end point. If I make a bags of it the PVA can be cleaned off with a cotton bud. If I bend it when putting it into place I just take it back to the glass and re roll it.

It can be a right Pain in the A and sometimes its one step forward and two steps back! I prefer wire to sprue as it does not sag if the weather gets to warm. Also the colour is naturally correct as it is wire. The only problem I have with the Uschi stuff is the colour. I must admit that I have used in where long stretches of wire are required.  

If you want some I'll send you a meter or two in the post and you can try it out. But a meter should last for a long time when used for rigging. I'm relatively new to this forum so I'm not sure if you can send me a private message with your address in the U.S but I'm sure that we can work out something on the address.

Photo below is of an AZ model of the Morane 'WR' Floatplane (1:72scale) that took part in the 1914 Schneider Trophy Race that was held in Monaco in April of that year and was the last Schneider Trophy Race before the beginning of WW1.

49576833042_32a2d6891c_z.jpgIMG_20190115_220958 by Joseph Moran, on Flickr

Also a picture of a Hansa Brandenburg B.1 (1:72 scale) also an AZ kit.

49664156592_7ba6688a5f_z.jpgIMG_20200315_170819 by Joseph Moran, on Flickr

I'll continue to follow your build with interest. Many years ago I made the Mericraft 1:72 scale kit of the Hansa Brandenburg W29 and its looks good in the naval lozenge finish.

Stay safe and away from this C19 Virus.

Cheers

Joe M

Stick & String Rule O.K.

Great looking builds! I'll send you my address and thanks for the tip

Little bit of progress. The lozenge decals are actually pretty resilient, in fact they need a lot of microsol to get them to sit snug, which is a lot nicer problem than them falling apart! They are also slightly bigger than the wings which gives a little bit of leeway to play with. Cut and deflected the tailplane a little and added rigging to the floats. Hopefully I'll get some paint on the fuselage tomorrow.

Cheers

Segan

w-29-12.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks everyone!

Just about ready to attach all the main parts together. It's weird to have most of the painting done before I've attached the wings! Most of the decals went down alright but one of the crosses reacted to the microsol and wrinkled up , weird that just one of them did it. Can't really tell in this picture but it look a little rough. Also the white isn't completely opaque so some lozenge showing through but not much I can do about that as I dont want to mask over the lozenge decals, far too much risk of pulling them up. 

Cheers

Segan

w-29-13.jpg

w-29-14.jpg

• Like 4