Red Flight down the Trench - a trio of Fine Molds 1/72 X-Wings

Hello everyone!

Here's my recently finished trio of 1/72 Fine Molds X-Wings representing the iconic hero flight of Red-2, Red-3 and Red-5 that made the Death Start trench run in the original Star Wars. One of these (Red-2) was acquired back in 2001 and had been wrecked, then completely stripped and has now been rebuild along with the other two that I got just as the production run was ending back in 2015. The restoration project was a tough affair over several years involving a lot of 3d printed parts that I designed based on the originals - there's a WIP thread if you're interested.

Painted using Mr. Hobby Aqueous Colour, main was H338 Light Gray FS36495 over grey Mr. Surfacer 1200 that had been shaded using black and white. Weathering using enamel washes, (regular painter's) oil paints, and just a bit of graphite pencil and soft pastels. I was going for a weathered and worn look, although I may have toned down the colors too much with dilluted oversprays! Stencils on Red-2 are mostly hand painted, as the original decals were long lost - I could use only the spare Red Squadron markings from the other kits. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Red-2, Wedge Antilles

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Red-3, Biggs Darklighter

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Red-5, Luke Skywalker

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finally, on the shelf with my other Star Wars kits.

spacer.png

Criticism and feedback welcome! :)

Edited by Ventsislav Gramatski
  • Like 14

A great save on that older kit and some very nice painting on all of them. Impressive stuff given your limited resources.

The 3D printing always impresses me and I didn't know about Thingyverse. Some amazing stuff on there!