Invader Ahoy! ICM B-26B-15 1/48

On 21/04/2020 at 18:31, hopkp said:

Is the P-61 the Great Wall Hobby kit or the old Revell/Monogram one?

Its the Hobby Boss one. I had been looking to get the GWH one as it looks amazing, but found the HB for a good price. 

14 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

Its the Hobby Boss one. I had been looking to get the GWH one as it looks amazing, but found the HB for a good price.

I forgot Hobby Boss also did one - looks good!

Here's some pics of the finished beastie :)

It's a very nice kit and would recommend it. 

I'll certainly be building the C version when it's released.

2020-04-25_05-36-35

2020-04-25_05-37-26

2020-04-25_05-37-02

2020-04-25_05-36-45

2020-04-25_05-37-09

Was nice to get to try some new things out on the build - mainly my first NMF using an airbrush. So there was a lot of sanding and respraying primer involved! 
And tried out salt chipping which wasn't as daunting as I thought.

Thanks for stopping buy.

Comments, tips etc welcome :)

Aaron 

• Like 5

Lovely job.

I definitely hope to do at least a couple of ICM A-26s, though my preference is for the Korean War era ones with the 'glass nose'. I've a couple of 'Bombshell Decals' sheets for these with very colourful nose art.....

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 3:59 AM, AaronKSJ said:

Oh yes. But it's going to look great next to my 1/48 Black Widow 😁

Got a second layer of aluminium AK Xtreme on yesterday and then sealed with a coat of Future.

IMAG0545

Now that the aluminium is on, I'm starting to really enjoy this model again. While that was drying did a little work on the undercarriage and props. 

I have been trying to track down a photo of the actual plane I'll be doing (3rd option that comes with the kit - from 47th Bomb Group Italy) But no such look.

Did come across a small image that I think came from a Squadron book on the A-26. If anyone happens to have a copy and could take a picture of it that would be great - as it looks like there's something written above the nose art that isn't on the decals with the kit and also curious about the olive drab anti glare panels on the engine cowlings.
Looks like they varied in between being 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and even 3/4 painted in some of the pictures. 

Doesn't help that the painting instructions show 1/4, and the box artwork show 1/3. 
If anyone can give me a definitive answer that would be great :) Otherwise I'll go with 1/4. 

Aaron

Aaron I went through my squadron collection, these were the only 2 photos I have of the 47th BG Unfortunately, they're painted black.

49819456422_cd234e959a_c.jpg

49819143191_7a6c425154_b.jpg

Don't know if they help any, But I'll keep looking.

• Thanks 1

There will be posts and pictures of other planes in a squadron but there are still some that are obscure im afraid, even in out internet age. There is plenty of gen on earlier in the war but it seems that when it gets near to the end of the war there seems to be  a bit less. I could be the highly fluid nature of the war in its closing stages that groups were being moved around a fair bit, many fields of the 12th and 15th USAAF were temporary at best and thus had little in the way of a permanent filing system. They can only go on what was remembered, photos taken at the time but forgotten about for a few years in some bottom drawer before someone found them and put them online for others to see. Maybe they had no time for much else but the war at the time and free time was geared to less about it.

I came across the same issue when i was researching some late entry bomb and fighter groups, and in particular when i was researching the groups an squadrons that flew the A-26 Apache dive bombers in the European theatre. I know they were there but there just seems to be little about them.

• Like 1