Tornado GR.4

Having retired (again) at the end of last month, plus reducing some pre-planned activities to avoid the Corona virus, I have had more time than usual for modelling.  This is my second build of the month, the base kit coming from a local charity shop just after Xmas - it's the old Airfix Tornado GR.1 updated to become a GR.4 from IX(B) Sqn RAF.   

wp1119803b_05_06.jpg

The kit is not the best representation of a Tornado but it builds well - mine has seen quite a few changes from the basic items supplied in the box, including:

- The later Airfix GR.4 Decals
- Wing tanks updated to reflect production versions
- Replacement LRTMS and FLIR (Avia Graphics)
- Sprue/plastic strip update to cockpit
- Ejector seat sprue updates
- Replacement Pitot (dressmaker's pin - never fails)
- Replacement Sky Shadow/BoZ 107 (ESCI and Scratch respectively)
- Storm Shadow missiles from Revell Kit (or was it a Rafale?)
- Weapons rails from the spares box
- Scratch chaff dispensers on inner Sidewinder pylons

wpe5164c60_05_06.jpg

wp0cef8406_05_06.jpg

Clearly, there are easier ways to build an accurate GR.4 model - the Revell kit would certainly be my recommended starting point, but despite the issues with this kit, it came to me very cheaply with the profits going to charity and it used up a number of orphan parts from my spares box, whilst keeping me happily occupied for a few weeks.  

wpf1644688_05_06.jpg

wp0f06dd2b_05_06.jpg

For me, that is what modelling is all about !!!

....and of course, it wouldn't be me without a group shot of my other Tornadoes!

DSC_4333-800.jpg

FredT

• Like 9

I like that/those Fred, not only that, its a good heads up for whats needed for a GR.4, I've a Revell one to convert sometime. I think you're the first I've heard say the Airfix Tornado goes together well, mostly it gets panned in that respect. Either way yours looks really good.

Steve.

7 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

... I think you're the first I've heard say the Airfix Tornado goes together well, mostly it gets panned in that respect.

Hahha - its certainly got its problems, but only if you want it to look like a Tornado!  

Most parts fit well, with the only real issue being the nightmare horizontal fuselage join, something  it shares with many other kits, Tornadoes and otherwise.

FredT

• Like 1