Gloss Varnishing Vallejo

Walter Wombat

As I’ve recently returned to modelling after an extended break techniques have changed. Currently building the Airfix 1/72 Lancaster BIII Dambuster. After having completed the painting using Vallejo acrylics I then moved to the gloss coat prior to adding decals. At this stage disaster struck. My first attempt airbrushing a mix of 75% varnish to 25% water coat of Vallejo Gloss. The coat pooled and run and dried milky even though I thought I had misted it. I then had to rub down and decided to try brushing. I used a good quality 1” acrylic brush but after 2 coats there was brush streaks all over. Even using a very fine wet & dry and glossing over again did not remove them. 

I have reluctantly removed all traces of the varnish and repainted the whole model again. Before I attempt the gloss coat again I would appreciate any advice from the group as to where I may be going wrong or better gloss products to use. 

many thanks

I hand brush neat Pledge/Future. I airbrush everything else but find that this can be hand brushed provided you are careful not to over load the brush. It goes on fine on all acrylics that I have tried (Tamiya/Mig Ammo/Vallejo) and you can oil or acrylic wash over the top. As an aside I finish with an airbrushed Matt Winsor and Newton Artists Acrylic varnish thinned a little with water.

I haven't used Vallejo's gloss varnish myself but have used the matt version, although admittedly not recently. 

I'd say the ratio of 75% varnish to 25% thinner sounds like a potential issue. I'd be more inclined to dilute to 50/50 as a minimum, if not more, and then build up a number very thin coats. 

Matt 

• Like 1

Ref the Pledge/Future I bought mine from Amazon (UK) a while ago and have still only used a small amount. It is expensive for floor polish but much cheaper than other acrylic vanishes. I decant it into a smaller Tamiya size bottle every couple of months to keep it clean. This is where I got it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pledge-11182-Revive-Transparent-Liquid/dp/B000ARPH4C

I don't dilute it. I brush it undiluted or dip canopies - again undiluted. The main thing is not to let it build up on the model. I load a largish (7mm?) flat brush then draw most of the Pledge off on the side of the jar before brushing on the model surface. It is quite forgiving and will self level. I give it 24 hours to dry before applying decals but it is touch dry in an hour or two. My models have two coats of Pledge (one either side of the decals) and then an airbrushed matt varnish. It doesn't affect detail even hand brushed. I know some airbrush it - not sure if they dilute. Use water to clean brushes - not sure what I would use to clean an airbrush as I haven't felt the need. Maybe someone else could let us know. I model 1/72 aircraft BTW.

Edited by Pete F

Moved to the correct location.  We'll let you off because you're new, as we normally hang people at dawn if they put things in the wrong area :fight:

33 minutes ago, Walter Wombat said:

Sorry...you could also give me a dose of coronavirus.......maybe a little less drastic 😀

Send me your address and we'll get Julien to come and cough on you ^_^

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Moved to the correct location.  We'll let you off because you're new, as we normally hang people at dawn if they put things in the wrong area :fight:

What ever happened to the good old days when drawing and quartering was in vogue? I miss those days!

Chris

• Haha 1

Thinning ratios are one of those things that are very hard to suggest as a lot of variables can influence the result: nozzle size, pressure, distance from the model...

Personally I use a retardant for acrylic paints or their airbrush thinner when spraying Vallejo's gloss coat. The ratio I use is simply the one that will let the paint flow on the mixing container sides from gravity while leaving a decent streak on said sides. Not very scientific, I know.. however I'm sure that I use a bit less than 25% of retardant/thinner in the mix. I generally spray at 15 psi but if the mix comes out thinned too much I lower the pressure to 12.