1/32 SE5a - James McCudden

I built this model several years ago and finally girded myself to finish the rigging yesterday. It's my first Wingnut Wings kit and I loved every minute of building it. I used the resin conversion kit from Encore to modify the cockpit. I think it was designed for the Roden kit but it seemed to fit really well on this. The decals and resin figure were from the same Encore package.

The colour is too dark and I won't show you the bottom because of rigging glue mess 😬 I also chickened out of using double wires. But it's the most complicated rigging I've done yet and was great practice for an MVR Albatross that's on the block next.

20200315_172612

20200315_172524

20200315_172544

20200315_172355

20200315_172739

20200315_174043

• Like 45
  • Thanks 3

That does look good and I would not have noticed the single wire if you hadn’t mentioned it. 

The figure looks good too. You are MUCH braver than me, having a go at a figure, as I have a real mental block about doing the faces. I know mine would look like a badly made up 95 year old woman!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sanfrandragon said:

Very nice, and the figure looks good too.

Im just about to start the rigging on my WNW Salmson.  Any tips?

My tip is ensure you have the eyes of a healthy 12 year old.  😏

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Very nice, and the figure looks good too.

Im just about to start the rigging on my WNW Salmson.  Any tips?

Just to get it done in a way that suits you. I was daunted by all the fancy builds with eyelets and turnbuckles that you see experts use, but when I just glued the thread straight to the model it was not so hard and looks good with the naked eye.

• Like 1

That looks very good. No need to worry about double lines - many of the rest of us do not! I am coming to the conclusion that turnbuckles etc are actually not very accurate as they are much too large for scale: a friened makes very good use of paint on the ends of the wires and that does look convincing.

P

• Like 1

• 2 years later...