FABRIKÖR Glass-door cabinet, for 1/32 1/48 1/350 display

ElWEGvr.jpg

FABRIKÖR Glass-door cabinet 81x113 cm

Thought I would post a ' review ' here - I couldn't find a suitable area on the Forum

( if a Mod wishes to move to a better area ) please do this , thank you 

This is a Lovely cabinet, looks ace, really modern with a vintage ‘medicine cabinet’ nod and quite simple to build too !

It normally costs about £ 150

- for an anti-tilt device - you have to screw it into the wall ( there is a hole at the top half of the rear area of cabinet )

and fit a large screw yourself ( none is fitted or supplied ) 

Only points to improve would be:
1. The glass doors swing right back and really quickly too -

watch out for this !! -  so they don’t swing violently into the side of the cabinet or any other furniture!
2. For Ikea to sell extra shelves separately - I could easily have another one in there !

The other great thing is that the Legs are adjustable for an uneven floor - this is handy

Sorry for poor photo - I couldnt easily find a suitable photo of this online that was Jpeg and large scale 

Overall I need to get another shelf fitted - the Fabrikor Ikea code for extra shelf supports is 123383 

I can also point out you can fit a Model Ship with ease - an Acrylic  Display Case would be easily made to fit over the Model

here and prevent dust settling - anyway my HMS Prince of Wales fits no problem

but note a long ship like a 1/350 Battlecruiser like the Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Hood would struggle to fit 

Edited by 73north
  • Like 10

Thanks for posting, with this as it means I could expand my stash without worrying about running out of room for display.  If it was just for WWI aircraft or WWI fighters it could easily fit several more shelves.

Got two of them a few years ago, they seem to have jumped up on price quite a bit.

Ordered 16 shelf supports just after they were delivered, and they were supplied free of charge, don't know if Ikea thought they were missing when I asked

Will get round to getting the Acrylic extra shelves sometime, that will help to keep the total weight down

Thanks for posting, I like seeing other people's displays in full like this. The cabinet does look very nice but to me it seems a bit short.

I like at least some of my models to be at standing eye level, so my favourite display solution is actually the Klingsbo. Very small footprint but tons of shelf space at good viewing heights and minimal framing (and same price ballpark as Fabrikor).

spacer.png

My other cabinet is a Liatorp, as a bit of a compromise. Expensive but still excellent, with vast total shelf space.

spacer.png

Edited by Vlad

8 minutes ago, Shashman said:

Oh wow, now this unit I like a lot. Not available in Europe though for some reason 😕

I got mine in the UK but that was I think 6 years ago. I also can't find it on the UK site now. Real shame if it became unavailable in the meantime.

On 3/16/2020 at 11:52 AM, matti64 said:

Looks really nice, but I'm  intending to  get the Detolf cabinets plus extr ashelves which are so  well priced. You see them everywhere, but they are so practical.

Can you fit  /  buy extra shelves to / for the Detolf? Can't see any mention of such on the Ikea site.

18 minutes ago, t15dja said:

Can you fit  /  buy extra shelves to / for the Detolf? Can't see any mention of such on the Ikea site.

Not as such, but I'm told that they often sell them seperately from  broken down sets. Alternatively, a local glass cutter can cut them for you and they can be fixed with U-bolts (this is the solution that I'll be going for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agF2beQqkRQ   and optimusfan-40048-albums-detolf-shelves-pwith a  thin rubber pad  to stop them scratching.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, t15dja said:

If you do a search for Detolf on ebay, most of the search results will be for shelves, add-ons made by third parties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I decided for a DIY solution a while ago. It is made of Ikea`s Billy:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

So what you need:  A Billy bookshelf, an acrylic glass front (3mm) cut to measure, aluminum profiles as a frame and either Ikea`s glass bottoms for Billy or acrylic glass cut to measure and strengthened with aluminum profile.

I apologize for the quality of the photos, but I guess you get the drift. The only problem is that the acrylic glass is very reflective, so the light source should not be opposite (as is the case in my hobby room).

The glass front opens to the bottom, the lower aluminum profile is removable.

Volker

• Like 3