13 hours ago, Buff Manila said:

Definitely one of the more obscure Ma.K designs!

There's all sorts of weird stuff out there in this genre, especially some of the scratchbuilds. This one isn't seen very often as a kit isn't available.

I've seen two model types called Sternail, the other is smaller than the one I'm building. Same idea, different design, and was available as a garage kit way back.

As for size, at present it's just over two feet long and will be closer to two and a half feet when finished. 

Thanks for looking in. Pete

• Like 1

Just a small update. Yesterday I got half an hour and fettled the nose section so it fitted properly onto the main fuselage.

And today I got less time than that, so I settled for mixing up some Araldite and finally glued the two sections together.

Though I've been thing about airlock doors and have found a nice solution for that problem. More Panzer bits!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

shed coming along?

Shed? damned cheek, it's a summer house. Okay it's a glorified shed with windows and a small porch. But Emily loves it. Oh no, that was a toy cat.

I didn't get a notification from B & Q so rang them yesterday lunchtime. The system was down, could I go there now? This morning I got the email to say it was ready!

So, yes, I went, I got the roofing felt, and fitted it yesterday afternoon. Not the best thing to do in 20+C.  So it looks good. Just needs finishing touches.

I got an hour on the Sternail today. The Sponsons are on and I've added few more wooden strips as I've had a revelation about how to do the curves.

I also cut down that Fridge wagon so that I now have flat plates with that door detail. I'm also looking at using Panzer bottoms* (ooer!) on the sides.

Cheers, Pete

* It's the underside of a tank. What else can I call it?

• Like 1

And we're back again. I got a couple of hours this afternoon so I did a bit of work and took some pictures, maybe you can tell me what I'm doing!

0JNHzUm.jpg

Part of the side panels will be made from Panzer chassis bits. Here, before I start cutting, I've penciled out an airlock door.

The figure is 1/32nd, so the door should be big enough for a 1/35th Astronaut.

zTehk3C.jpg

This is a view of the fuselage underside. It should look something like this when done. But, what is that on the left? 

I found a plate with a mounting in the middle, no idea what it's from And the bent bit, I think, is a bit of Airfix Robogear? probably a robot arm?

109dad5.jpg

After a scrabble around in the spares I found this lot. The white tube is ex Biro, and that is a B-17 main gear leg at top right.

VrDa4wH.jpg

A pivot through the arm and U/C leg and some other bits and we have a docking probe.

YMVs1f5.jpg

Another view. It swivels and pivots and would probably extend if I was better at this stuff 😆

Mnd9HTC.jpg

I found these too. Ex Skycrane helicopter from the last build. Steering thrusters? And there are the freezer wagon side panels.

WSa4n3r.jpg

The back end should look something like this. The hole on the right is for the stand. The silver bits are ex Airfix Fouga Magister. 

On the original Sternail a 1/27nd Tomcat lower fuselage sits there. But I don't have one so I used these, leftovers from a scrap kit I bought.

No idea what those two desert sand bits are. Ex Panzer, sure, but I think they'll look good wired up there.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome. Cheers, Pete

• Like 7

And there's more! 

Plastic got cut and the sides got filled in.

Zjp91PF.jpg

The left side. Top left is a good view of what was the Puma sponson. On the right, we have an airlock.

I7ltXOh.jpg

A closer view. The airlock is scribed but a little untidy in places. On the right, is the freezer wagon doorway, now an access hatch.

NNQkJOu.jpg

And on the right, the airlock for the GIB (Guy In Back). 

8NWPysI.jpg

And again, a close up (bored yet?) I've since slathered the gaps (top & bottom) with filler which now can dry overnight.

Once it's all rubbed down I can add extra details and greeblies. Thanks for looking, Pete

• Like 5

The vision is steaming starwards on a wave of enthusiasm. No worries there. The filler all got rubbed down, and the airlock doors were rescribed as forecast.

Later this afternoon, I started skinning the back end in plastic card. More tomorrow. Cheers, Pete

Stand by for update! I haven't been slacking, but I've just been doing small stuff so it wasn't worth a proper update. But, this should change all that....

eScCH8o.jpg

Both airlock doors have had a Panzer machine gun mantlet added. The astronaut can put his gloved fingers inside to operate the catch to open the door.

53dJpdV.jpg

The back end got clad in mostly 1mm plastic card. It's now very rigid and yet light. It all needs rubbing down smooth & level now.

xSsdf7l.jpg

Ready to fit under the back end, the steam engine bits and the Magister bits got combined and milliputed.

cukeLV0.jpg

Another view. Greeblies got added. See if you can guess their origins. No prizes, except for a warm glow for being a smarty pants.

VoaQu2f.jpg

And another view. If you look at the picture of my old build you may see solar panels/light sails (Not sure which they're meant to be) at the back.

I'll be doing a similar job here so they'll need mounting points. Hence what looks like toilet rolls at the right here. 

ZSux0Dy.jpg

Last view of the steam engine bits for now. This is pretty much how the underside will end up. (I think).

BTW, You can see how I've scored the plastic card so that it bends around the corner.

ujUhNzI.jpg

But... I had this Puma head. What to do with it? Some sort of scanner? Airfix Tiger wheels, Sherman sprockets and lift shackles got combined into these.

xRLdTWP.jpg

And fitted to the head. Et Voila! Some sort of scanner/Radar thingy. In need of paint.

5n2tcY0.jpg

And here is where it will sit. Probably. Hopefully it will distract the eye away from the support tube. (A bit)

0md3kl4.jpg

Go back to the pictures at the top of page one and there are some funny shaped jobbies in front of the thruster turrets at the back end. 

I've used bigger turrets on this build and have less room, so these are slightly smaller than the originals. Now, remember those mascara compacts?

The T-55 tank has an overhang on it's turret and that green bit here goes under it. Here it gets stuck onto the compact lid.

t9o8XCu.jpg

Because the compact lid overhangs the aforesaid jobbie. Which will be 10 - 15.mm thick when I'm done with it.

UxB6YV7.jpg

This might make things clearer? 

cVG4pEe.jpg

And in the end it will look something like this. The thruster turret at the right, and what may well become a weapons pod on the left.

I'm not sure what they were for on the original as the weapons were mounted behind them, but if I do that on this one I'll shoot off the Puma sponsons!

And that's it for this update. I hope you've seen something that has amazed/puzzled/satisfied your curiosity.

Thanks for looking, Pete

• Like 6

Thanks chaps for looking at that lot. And here's some more for you...

The engines on the back of the original used Saturn V bits. I've tried, but failed to obtain any.

Imagine a small dish containing 5 rocket nozzles. I'm going to use 2 dishes and 2 nozzles.

RFIDWIh.jpg

So, take a couple of plastic shot glasses (plastic glass?) Add a couple of rings of Slaters plastic strip and fire up the razor saw.

IloWnT0.jpg

From left to right, A wire wheel from an ancient toy car. the front of a 1/32nd Me262 engine and an exhaust nozzle from a 1/48th jet.

Pile them together and you get something that just might pass for a rocket engine. (It's dark up there, who's going to see?)

Okay, there isn't your traditional 'bell' nozzle but this is the future. Have you never wondered how a Tie fighter gets it's thrust? It's kept me awake nights.....

This collection of oddments will sit inside the shot glasses.

Acuildl.jpg

The solar panels/light sails needed mountings on the top deck. Panzer transmission bits, tube and card does the business. Oh, and Meng nuts and bolts.

Kibm4PI.jpg

And from another angle. It's rough so it should pass for a casting.

Nx7BhIU.jpg

And the weird shaped bits are progressing. Bits of wood and 1mm plastic card marinated with superglue.

BTzRTIg.jpg

Did I mention clamps and patience? Those side pieces are 10mm high. Or deep, depending on your point of view.

These two are now ready for the outer flat bit to go on then will need a dab of filler and rubbing down.

The back end of the ship got rubbed down this morning too. Again, it'll need a bit of filler and fettling though.

We're getting there. Thanks for looking. Pete

• Like 8

It will be a bit more than 64cm or, just over two feet in old money.

Hopefully I've put the hole for the stand in the right place. I don't want a nose sitter!

Though it may just spend it's life hanging from a rafter in the mancave.

Thanks for looking in.

Pete

• Haha 1

Time for an update I feel.....

GrkEMjm.jpg

These past few days I are been mostly making weapons (and doing other non modelling related stuff).

There are various tank related bits here, plus a Hind rocket pylon, a steam engine pipe and a Ju87 night exhaust.

O7EQHYU.jpg

And that odd shaped rail thing is ex LIMA railway freezer wagon. The same source as those double doors on the fuselage.

marSufZ.jpg

Yet another close up of the sanding dust and, what is that hole for on the gun? 

wGBcOXI.jpg

Looks like a Panther tank road wheel to me. And it has a spigot sticking out of the middle.

5fZ3bpQ.jpg

Ah, now it makes sense (I hope).

7iNmvGJ.jpg

And it elevates too.

aUYtdUY.jpg

Meanwhile, not too depressing I hope? And in the foreground, the odd shaped wossnames are done.

VGGF0VB.jpg

But, what's this? Two bits of sprue, two tank bits, a slightly stretched Biro spring and some PTFE tape. 

I've seen this technique but never tried it. The PTFE can be fiddly but really it's not too difficult, and quite effective.

Dr6gjbN.jpg

And this is where it ends up. If these guns are plasma or laser weapons, they need lots of power routed down a conduit. Et Voila!

iOMXA8S.jpg

And from another angle. It even holds together as the gun moves around. I'm quite chuffed with it.

And in other news...The fuselage has had a final pre-paint rub down so primer isn't too far off. 

No doubt that will show up bits that will need more filler/touching up/new primer. It's a vicious circle! But hugely enjoyable.

Thanks for looking. Questions and comments are welcome. Pete

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Buff Manila said:

I'm beginning to wonder how big your bits boxes are??

Thanks for looking in. The answer is, sadly, not big enough. I'm starting to run out of useful bits again.

I haunt the bay and on here looking for part/scrap kits. What I need is a tank modeller who's running out of storage space!

• Haha 1

Let's do another update. I've spent the last two days detailing the top and bottom of the rear section (pause for @CedB to say f'nar.....)

So, on with the pictures. First up, outside this morning and the lower part of the rear.

aElTXVx.jpg

An overall view of the bits n bobs under there. 

lIafP4I.jpg

Train bits and tie down/mooring loops and the base for the docking arm to which I added Meng boltheads.

qLzLUfg.jpg

Fouga Magister, steam engine boilers and Panzer bits. Plus the ex Puma bit in the middle.

dRUttbb.jpg

And here we are at the back. I'm really not sure what the desert sand bits (seen here at left) are, but I've used copper wire to link them in and I like them there.

8Vez4MI.jpg

Just to prove the other side is the same. That rack of three tubes in the middle is (I think) ex FROG Shell Welder.

On the sides, i've masked off where the thruster turret and that odd shaped thing will glue on.

Z42QAmk.jpg

Earlier this evening, inside. The top (slightly unfocused) Steam engine bit. Not sure what the white thing was. More tie downs.

If you park this thing next to a space station or whatever, you really wouldn't want it swinging about. (I know space isn't windy, but....)

2bUjaiD.jpg

The black dish is ex SR71 radar. It sits on a bit of Heinkel He177. The white bit is ex kids spaceship I think. I've had it for years and here it fits perfectly.

27gCMg2.jpg

The two 'chimney looking bits are ex Frog He219 as is the aerial on the other side. I can't remember the origin of the central aerial thingy.

zZ6xTDC.jpg

I do believe you're looking at depth charges. But they look useful there.

VTiwuqH.jpg

And at the rear, yet another scanner. Made from various bits and an Airfix 1/24th Typhoon intake grill.

9EZQB1t.jpg

Another view of the support structure. The rack could be for a test box, or, someones nicked whatever should be there.

I think these shots are useful as the different coloured plastic shows that this lot didn't come out of the same box.

Next up I need to do some more detailing on the sides and then the engines at the back. Then, it's paint time.

Many thanks for looking. Comments always welcome. Pete

• Like 5

Yesterday I added a few more detail parts to the hull and tidied bits up so there will be some stuff not seen before on here.

This morning, primer happened! and the ship spent a happy hour or so outside in the sunshine. It is also up on it's stand at last.

The primer, as hoped, showed up a few blemishes but not as many as I'd feared and they were soon dealt with.

6qnr8R4.jpg

From the front then....The nose scanner assembly was added yesterday.

END43CK.jpg

It looks different all one colour. That thruster in the middle is new. As are the Steam engine connecting rods above it.

IGEaz9F.jpg

Various new bits here too. The sides looked quite bare without them, and kreigers need to look 'busy'.

WdNjSfI.jpg

A couple of new bits here too. The curved part on the left looks vulnerable to meteors etc. So in a few pictures you'll see that I've made shields to fit here.

iU7lHo0.jpg

And so we arrive at the top deck... Yes, the oval jobbie is a V8 air intake cover. Note the attitude thruster at centre left. Another one is fitted to the lower decking.

5oQzI7f.jpg

Here we've whizzed forward a bit. You can see the base of the stand covered in masking tape though.

W7KqWK1.jpg

And forward of that bit. Some time ago I got a 'metal earth' kit of an AT ST. I've been using bits of it as detailing etch. Here it looks good (I think) and hides the seam.

JCLUhwF.jpg

And now, the rear shot. The cut down shot glasses will house the engine exhausts.

Above them are cut down Skycrane engines with the cut off bits in use at the bottom as manoeuvring thrusters.

In the middle is a bit of 1/24th Merlin engine, with a small scale ships searchlight in use as a camera, so the crew can see whats happening back here.

lQVv9If.jpg

Here are the shields I mentioned. along with their mountings. Yes, they were Puma cockpit doors.

aYUPdts.jpg

Thruster turret in primer. It got preshaded earlier this evening.

HDxYTLg.jpg

And a primed mascara compact thingy, also now preshaded. I'll need to do the hull tomorrow and then start detail painting with the airbrush.

I hope you've seen something you like. please don't be shy if you didn't, and thanks for stopping by.

Pete

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, rockpopandchips said:

is grey it's natural colour? 

That is just the primer. Tomorrow? I hope to mist on some white and other shades of grey, after I've done the preshading that is.

This is all just to add some interest and contrast. I also want something like Defence of the Realm stripes about mid fuselage to add colour.

There should also be decals, warnings etc. It's all about the detail and keeping the eye interested. All good fun.

• Like 1

Time for another quick update which would have been posted yesterday But I couldn't get onto the site. Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth that went on!

The Light sails/solar panels or what ever they are. I've used the Puma main rotor blades as a basis.

mYk3lwL.jpg

I've tapered the blades and cut thin card to wrap around them. 

YzcLnRs.jpg

Maybe this shot shows it better. I mostly finished building them today using thin card to make four separate panels per sail.

Pictures of that tomorrow as I want to finish them off a bit more before I show them. I also shortened them by an inch so the proportions look better.

In other news, The fuselage is no longer a mono shade of grey. I've attacked it with various greys and applied decals after raiding the decal spares box.

Well, I think it looks good, so I hope you guys are impressed when I post pictures.

Thanks for looking in, Pete

• Like 3

Just caught up on this, looks ace.  Based on your work, and a few other scratch builders I've seen on here, I have begun amassing a junk pile of useful looking rubbish, and a box full of left over model parts from previous builds.  At some point way down the line when there is enough stuff, I think I'm going to have a go at a project like this.

Can't wait to see this one finished.

• Thanks 1