Takom Bergepanzer 2

On 4/2/2020 at 7:13 PM, Dads203 said:

It will go full metal jacket soon enough, I have a few plans for this build that will add interest to the already great base kit.

So far it just adding the vast array of pioneer tools that seem to festoon German Armour, I reckon the average crew could wittle away a few logs 

into some great ornate garden features with what this carries on the sides.

P1080026  

The German practice of hanging the entire contents of your tool shed from the outside of a tank.

13 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Working on the smaller details now, the majority of the plastic is now done 

so I'm now adding the brass and things, typically my glue has given up on sticking so I had fun 

getting these chains fitted to the smoke grenade dischargers. Not my best effort really. More CA ordered :o

P1080046

Does the photoetch come with the Takom kit Dan or is it an aftermarket accessory ?

I'm slightly concerned though, we're only on the fourth page of a @Dads203 WIP build and it looks like you'll soon be ready to begin applying paint.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 2

Cheers chaps,

The only PE given in the kit is 3 pieces, the main engine grill and the crane angle/weight indicators. 

P1080049

So I used the good old Aber etched chains, bought these about 10 years ago and they are still going strong. These get used on most of my builds TBH.

P1080050

I'm also going to use this set or rather some bits from it, the kit mud flaps are crap so this set will provide them along with the convoy plate. Its for the old Italeri kit but still useful 

for refining certain parts.

P1080051

Paint eh? Going to be a while yet folks, still loads to do on this before it sees primer I'm afraid, the basics are done so it really just a blank canvas at this stage, not forgetting the tracks 

which look like they will take an age to get together and fit.

Dan 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Last of the pioneer tools added now so next up will be the tracks.

P1080054

P1080055

P1080052

P1080053

Some Mr Surfacer added to some untidy joints, I have to add the clear scopes and a platform or 3 for the crew figures before joining up the upper and lower hulls 

but we are moving along with it nicely.

Stay Safe and enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 10

This might take a while :frantic:

Fits well around the sprocket which was my biggest worry, minimal clean up but still time consuming, no glue just a push fit.

These are the Meng tracks BTW.

P1080056

P1080057

P1080058

They look very accurate and should really enhance the build.

Stay safe 

Dan 

• Like 4

So, time for another update, The tracks are going together very well, I'm surprised on how strong they are.

They hold up really well and are probably on par with the Model Kasten tracks. The detail is very well done and 

the parts only require a small amount of clean up, well done Meng.

One more side to get done and we are done with the running gear.

P1080061

They fit the Takom sprocket very well.

P1080062

They are very well detailed tracks, one of the best I have seen for a while.

P1080064

P1080065

I'll give the track pads a bit of scuffing up and damage before paint.

Stay safe 

Dan 

• Like 15

Cheers chaps, 

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Amazing the amount of detail going into this with minimal aftermarket

Could this be the new Dads or are just playing with us/having a break

To be honest this kit doesn't need much help at all, its packed full of detail and really is eye candy from the box, I'm adding the Meng tracks and few other bits 

but that will be it really. Most of my builds are of older kits that require major reworking and detailing so a newish tool is nice, just going along at a steady pace 

is what I needed for this build with out worrying too much on the accuracy.  I will be adding more detail to a few places where Takom missed but nothing major. 

On the second track now, not quite halfway but moving along nicely.

P1080066

And a touch of putty drying on the rear track tool bin. So far the only putty used on this build, the fit is quite amazing once you clean up the parts. 

P1080067

Cheers for stopping by and stay safe people :thumbsup:

Regards

Dan 

• Like 11

Nice! Time well spent on those tracks dan,its looking very busy already even before those little bits of pe chain, i knew it weren't going to be a simple oob with a few figures

• Thanks 1

Cheers Guys, had a temp slow down on the build as Mrs Dads203 wanted stuff doing around the house. The last two weeks 

I've had to lay carpets, paint , knock out some electrics and so on. Thank god for You Tube and respect to all carpet engineers from all over the world !!! 

So both tracks are now done, the second track decided to fight me with broken pins which was annoying to say the least.

P1080069

P1080070

P1080071

P1080073

I can soon get moving with my additions, rumour has it that I might have just earnt enough brownie points for a weekend off DIY ? 

That is just a rumour but I have to live in hope !! 

Stay Safe All 

Dan 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Many thanks for the great feedback chaps :thumbsup:

Let the ( limited )  brass work begin :frantic:

So Takom have moulded the rear mud flaps up which is correct for a wagon going X-country they are not the best rendition of folded up mud flaps,

So I decided to hack the kit brackets off and modify the Eduard PE set flaps which are made for the Italeri Leopard 1 to fit, this is proof of concept just to see if I could do it.

Reflector is added as its missing from the PE part. I've also started to detail the towing hitch.

Flaps will get added after main painting so they are just tacked on at this point.  

P1080074

P1080075

P1080077

P1080076

More later 

Stay safe everyone 

Dan 

• Like 13