We are not alone.

mbdesignart

Why is modelling materials keep disappearing? Recently I bought a 1m length of triangular scetion plastic strip to make some mudguard brackets. I go to look for the remaining 900+ mm and it's gone. I only use one room and after use it usually gets dumped into a cardboard tube along with all the other long lengths of rod. I mean it's not a small thing to loose so I can only assume I have some alien visiters who are into modelmaking 👽🤔 Anyone else have the same problem.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

I can only assume I have some alien visiters who are into modelmaking

I think you must have the much feared 'predatory' carpet beast rather than the normal passive type.

• Haha 5

Or a wife, kids, anyone else having a shot at creating stuff?

Was not amused to find out when my girlfriend used my winsor&newton Series 7 brushes for pushing acrylics creatively over a canvas. Well they were there with all the other brushes, how could she know? They obviously were in better shape then her usual throw-away stuff 😅

• Sad 2

Many is the time i've put stuff in the pile of storage cluttering up the work area where it's resided for months, sometime years, until that one moment it's required when it's suddenly nowhere to be found, only to turn up again, where I thought it was originally, after a replacement or alternative has been sourced.

I put it dow to ghosts.

:ghost:

I only have a tiny area to do modelling work in, my workarea is 1 meter by 40 cm and this is also the desk I use for "work work". Although I hate having to clean up every time I switch from the fun stuff to the serious stuff, the advantage is that usually everything is put away in the correct box so most of the time I can find my stuff. 

Disadvantage: everything is put away in boxes so I have lots of doubles because I keep forgetting I already had something 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It happens. I lost the top triangular section of my SU-27 front undercarriage leg. I'd taken it off the sprue to check how it fitted in the fuselage, then put it to one side until required. When that time came - absolutely vanished; turned the whole room upside down, no sign.  Had to scratch one from plasticard, using the sprue image in the instructions to get the dimensions, successfully.

Of course, once the plane was fully finished and painted, it decided to show up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One thing I've found useful when that vital part springs off into the nether world of the carpet is to get a torch, lay it on the carpet so that the beam runs across the top, and pan over the carpet - it's very good at showing texture not to mention that small part which has pinged off into semi-oblivion. Fingers crossed, nothing has gone missing for more than about 10 minutes (although that does suggest that my carpet monster must be well fed with non-modelling items which do seem to keep disappearing).

• Like 2

I once lost the 3" long, very red, tail rudder from a 1/32 Revell BAE Hawk in a room in MIL's immaculate house, which had some furniture and a bright blue carpet. Could I find it???? Nope.  Finally, in a rage I scratched a new one.

Months later - after the kit was built, I found the original stuck to the bottom of the kit box with a wee dod of Blue-Tack.      :angry:

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4