F/A-18D Hornet, VMFA-121 *Finished!*

Alan P

12 hours ago, rob85 said:

That’s gorgeous work Alan, absolutely fantastic build!

Rob

Cheers, its finally all come together. Thanks Rob. 

10 hours ago, Andwil said:

I’d say the cockpit is somewhat better than “pretty good” and I can’t see much wrong with the seat belts either, fine reward for painstaking work.

AW

Thanks very much, yes I really should lighten up, that stage just spoilt an otherwise perfect build experience 😂

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow!

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very nice, wow!

Double wows from knowledgeable and respected members!! 😂 Thanks very much guys 👍

That's great work Alan, I've enjoyed tagging along and learned a thing or two.

I've seen many photos of the plane, but your build and pics have brought it to life. I feel as if I know more about the Hornet now, something I like about modelling.

Next stop the gallery with canopy?

Edited by Johnson
SNAFU
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Johnson said:

That's great work Alan, I've enjoyed tagging along and learned a thing or two.

I've seen many photos of the plane, but your build and pics have brought it to life. I feel as if I know more about the Hornet now, something I like about modelling.

Next stop the gallery with canopy?

Thanks a lot Charlie, likewise I've appreciated your input which is what groupbuilds are all about.

Just a few finishing in-prog pics:

tn_IMG_20200418_115111(1)

The wingfold actuator covers - duplicated on each side.

And what might be the last photo of this build anyone ever sees, depending on the outcome...😬

tn_IMG_20200418_124505

I've attached the actuator arm and assembly to the deck at the back of the cockpit section, and then applied epoxy glue to the hinge part. I've secured it in position and it'll stay there till tomorrow. If the canopy stays attached, great, it'll go in the gallery. If it collapses, damages the canopy or otherwise fails, maybe I'll hide it somewhere until I can fix it. It's a stupid assembly for such a large cantilevered part, why Academy didn't beef up the hinge section or provide a mechanical connection for it is an enduring mystery...

Thanks very much for following. Whatever happens, I'll be starting the F/A-18E version tomorrow.

Alan

• Like 10

The epoxy worked! Finished :yahoo:

tn_IMG_20200419_120629

More pics in the Gallery very soon...though this only just fits in my photobooth!

Thanks again for all the support 👍 I'll be continuing in the GB with this aircraft's bigger brother, link in my signature strip 👇

All the best,

Alan

• Like 6

Thanks very much 👍

5 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Wow! nice one Alan, it has been great to follow your build.

Thanks Ray, I really appreciated your support along the way. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...