Help paint turned into goo !

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Help ... Im running an experiment trying to mix up a Dark earth I'm satisfied with ? Most are to tan to my eye so im looking to add a bit more brown. I have Mr.Color Dark earth bottle #22 and I have Tamiya XF-60 Dark yellow. I have always read that you can mix Gunze and Tamiya as they are both Lacquer acrylics. So I mixed three bottle caps with varying amounts of each when i did i got a snotty goo ? So i dipped my brush into Tamiya Lacquer thinner and the colors turned snow white and even more gloopy ? Yet when i cleaned my brush in the Tamiya Lacquer thinner it came out clean as a whistle looking almost new ? Im so confused anyone have any clue why the weird reaction in one place (bottlecaps) but no reaction in thinner jar ? 

Dennis

Tamiya and Gunze both make aqueous and lacquer paints. Gunze's are Mr Hobby (aqueous) and Mr Color (lacquer) Tamiya's are the X/XF range (aqueous) and the new LP range (lacquer). I'm afraid you've mixed incompable  choices (aqueous and lacquer)

Cheers

Colin

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ckw said:

Tamiya and Gunze both make aqueous and lacquer paints. Gunze's are Mr Hobby (aqueous) and Mr Color (lacquer) Tamiya's are the X/XF range (aqueous) and the new LP range (lacquer). I'm afraid you've mixed incompable  choices (aqueous and lacquer)

Cheers

Colin

Did not know that thanks. 

Dennis, 
I’ve not long experimented with Dark Earths and found that Gunze’s H72 (Semi Acrylic) looked pretty good to my eye. I did not compare it to any official colour chips, however applied with their Dark Green (H73) seem to be a good combo. Up to you if you want to persist with a home brew product, but these paints should be readily available one would think.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Gunze’s H72 (Semi Acrylic)

I would kill for it however for some reason standard Gunze is Illegal to sell in Illinois. Ive been trying to get it since 2010. I was surprised the Mr.color was allowed. Ive tried to import it many times from china and japan, it keeps getting denied. The semi local hobby shop 22 miles away started carrying Mr.Color just before christmas so I buy what i can when I can. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Sorry to hear that Dennis, that’s very odd. Can you pop over to another US state and try to source it that way? 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thats an idea an I should look into where it might be sold ? I have a Miltary reunion to attend in June and will be traveling through 4-5 states to get there. 

1 minute ago, dnl42 said:

Can't get it in Illinois? Yoiks!

I buy it from my LHS, as well as online sources in the US, Japan, and Taiwan without any issues. And I live in CA!

I agree its ridiculous and silly but for some reason I get the same answer each time.

“We apologize and cannot complete your order at this time. It cannot be shipped to your address as you reside in an area it is not legal to ship to.”
   I think that some nut bag typed on the wrong chemical in its description and Illinois banned it without researching. Not as uncommon as you’d like to think. 

• Sad 1