Early Work circa 1970 (I was six).

bobsyouruncle

More of a bit of fun, this one, so mods feel free to remove or delete if it's not up to scratch, although it is historical.  I found this one recently in a drawer at my parents house. Biro pen and felt-tip on writing letter paper.

It's one that I think I would have done not long after seeing the 'Battle of Britain' film, which came out in 1969 and I saw at the Odeon in Leicester.

I remember that the foyer had large models of aircraft hanging up on the ceiling. There was a lot of great merchadise around from what I remember, such as the bubble gum cards and the great Dinky toy Spitfire and Stuka. Also had a colouring book.

I don't know what I've got loaded in those background trailers of what looks like a 'lorry train??!!'

I'm thinking the top aircraft was supposed to be a 109, but is obviously suffering a few errors (nose too short, looks like it's got a Merlin fitted, only one wing) and is either having trouble or is producing a lot of exhaust (still firing away though).

I'm thinking the 'lorry train'  might have been how my brain interpreted and remembered the wagons that were passing in front of Majors Falke and Foehn when they were summoned to Wissant in the film (carrying the barges)?

I thought it was interesting to see how it compares to my current stuff (see Lightnings, etc). At least I'd got the yellow tips in on the props. Anyway it's here for critical appraisal.

Feel free to add your own, or relatives early works to the thread.

Cheers Bob.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

That's pretty damn good for six (obviously if you were seven it'd be rubbish :wink:). I love the way the 109s bullets are looping the loop. Either that or they're really fat bullets.

I've been obsessed with aircraft for as long as I can remember and drew them all the time (I also drew a lot of trees for some reason). I haven't got any from that long ago (it looks like we're more or less the same age) the earliest I have is from when I was 15.

This is what I did for my 'O' level art exam. It was supposed to be the painting section, but as ably demonstrated by my models, I've never been very good with colour (perhaps it was my way of dodging the whole RLM colour issue). I argued that I was using the pencil like paint. Seemed to work as I passed.

Dogfight+%2528small%2529.jpg

I really, really, really wanted to be a technical illustrator, so used to practise with things like this (copied from a book I had at the time).

He+219+%2528small%2529.jpg

The technical illustrator thingy didn't happen. Maybe because I could never get my wheels looking circular. :sad:

• Like 6

I love those! 

That first one has a certain style about it and I love the highlights on the Mossie in the foreground. They certainly got in close in that dogfight. For some reason, one of my first paintings was of a Mosquito

with a feathered prop and smoke trail (probably 633 Sqn inspired?). Looks like you got the right engine in your 109 too.

I love that Owl! Looks like you paid very close attention to all the panel lines and I think you did an awesome job on getting all the antennae pointing in the proper directions. Some great fine detail in that one.

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

I love the way the 109s bullets are looping the loop. Either that or they're really fat bullets.

Yes, I'm glad you picked up the very early use of the 'smart' cannon round picking up a temporary rogue signal.

• Haha 1

The subject of this will come as no surprise...

I scanned this a while back,  I think I was 7 when I did this, so that would be 1973,  spent some time taped to the fridge I seem to recall (tape mark at top) and then amazingly survived stashed away, for many years in my 1962 FK Mason Hurricane book I got via random box of books from a jumble sale that mum got, and I pounced on, age 8.

I think  the painted bits in the background got added later, and it's very Airfix box art and Commando comic book inspired, as well as 1/144 Revell Hurricane...

(has the same wrong shell ejector ports).

49658712628_9067b1b9f4_o.pngHurricanes age 7 by losethekibble, on Flickr

• Like 2

Wow! I think that's totally amazing for a 7 year old. It's so obvious and instantly recognisable as being of Hurricanes. Are they shell cases trailing from beneath the wings? Great grasp of airflow and gravity.

It's the little details that kids pick up and replicate at even that age that amazes me. I also love the camouflage, the big air scoop on the underside, the fabric covered rear fuselage and the muzzle flashes. Superb.

Edited by bobsyouruncle
extra detail comments
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Are they shell cases trailing from beneath the wings? Great grasp of airflow and gravity.

war comics and box art....

a few years ago I met Roy Cross at the Aviation bookshop and got to tell him "it's all your fault!"  I did have a chat and tell him how much pleasure his work had given people though.  

cheers

T

• Like 1

I say these are pretty good,  considered the age of the artists 😊👍

I fear l’ve «lost» all my scetches from those days.. more than 50 years ago and several change of houses to blaim.. or someone else.