Spitfire XIV MV264 EB-Q - Airfix 1/48 (Second Attempt!)

Hi all,

Here's my second attempt at Airfix's 1/48 Spitfire XIV, built as MV264 EB-Q of 41 Sqn in April/May 1945. Brush painted with Hataka paints (absolutely excellent paints), and a mixture of decals from the kit and spares.

Spitfire Mk.XIV MV264/EB-Q flown by Flying Officer E. Gray, No. 41 Squadron RAF, B118 Celle, Germany, April/May 1945.

IMGP0454

IMGP0453

IMGP0451

IMGP0450

IMGP0449

IMGP0448

IMGP0447

IMGP0446

I'm really pleased with the result, much better than my previous attempt , mainly due to the much better Hataka paints I used (as opposed to humbrol).

Thanks for looking!

Ben

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Wow, the lines are so crisp and clean.

I'm having all sorts of issues painting those flipping yellow strips along the wing leading edge. In fact it's totally put me off the project! :( I've tried with two different yellows (Vallejo) but it's just coming up translucent. That's with 2airbrush attempts. Same story with the prop tips.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shashman said:

Wow, the lines are so crisp and clean.

I'm having all sorts of issues painting those flipping yellow strips along the wing leading edge. In fact it's totally put me off the project! :( I've tried with two different yellows (Vallejo) but it's just coming up translucent. That's with 2airbrush attempts. Same story with the prop tips.

Hi

I dont want to teach you to suck eggs but undercoat with white then do the yellow.

HTH

Glyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Great job, that paint finish looks neat!

Any tips how to use this paint like thinning and so on?

cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan,

I sprayed the model with halfords grey plastic primer, used 1200 grit wet and dry to polish, then simply applied two thin coats of Hataka Blue Line paint. The hardest thing I had to do with the Hataka paints was shake the little bottle to mix it all!

:)

• Thanks 2

Your brush painting looks much better than my airbrushing. Beautifully done model.  What kind of brush or brushes do you use?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Your brush painting looks much better than my airbrushing. Beautifully done model.  What kind of brush or brushes do you use?

Thanks! I used a dodgy humbrol color brush which has now splayed - must find some better brushes!

18 minutes ago, Boman said:

Very nice! Where did you get the decals? 

Cheers :)The codes and serials were both from Xtradecal sets of letters/numbers, the roundels and stencils were from the kit.

13 hours ago, Boman said:

Thanks 

X48023 and X48044? 

Serials were X48044, the codes are actually the 1/72 version, for some reason, 41sqn used smaller codes than standard - so the large decals in the 72 set were the right size.

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow, what a cracker, great work and a great model.

I use humbrol enamels and have never had success with brushing acrylic paints , do you have to add anything to the paint to help? 

All the best

Chris

Thanks very much :) I used the Hataka Blue Line paints optimised for brush and used them straight out the bottle!

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 11:19 PM, SAT69 said:

I laugh when I read this a lot,...... it sounds so judgemental and as if airbrushing is so superior to brush painting!!  I know you didn`t mean it to sound like that,.... but to those who only brush paint,..... it is! Imagine it the other way around!

Cheers

Tony

56 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I laugh when I read this a lot,...... it sounds so judgemental and as if airbrushing is so superior to brush painting!!  I know you didn`t mean it to sound like that,.... but to those who only brush paint,..... it is! Imagine it the other way around!

Cheers

Tony

I think it's because everyone starts off using a brush when they first get into the hobby and aren't super skilled, so many brush finishes aren't great. Typically airbrushes are the reserve of the more experienced modeller.

Obviously there are people who master the brush, I've always been impressed with your brush finishes Tony!

• Like 1

Tony, my experience has taught me that brush painting is more difficult than airbrushing and getting really nice results with brush painting is a product of great painting skill and the right choices of brushes and paints. My comments were and are meant to be a big compliment to you. I can get a smooth surface airbrushing. I have difficulty getting the same results by brush painting because I don't have your skill. I did not mean to even imply that airbrushing is superior to brush painting but for many of us, not having the skills you have, it allows us to get a desired paint affect.

• Like 1

Very nice. The opinions of Hataka paints seems to be all over the place. Yesterday I read a build where the modeller absolutely hated them. You on the other hand nailed it

Edited by fubar57
Freakin' negative typos man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fubar57 said:

Very nice. The opinions of Hataka paints seems to be all over the place. Yesterday I read a build where the modeller absolutely hated them. You an the other hand nailed it

I used Hataka red line airbrush ready paint and I found it covered well with good opacity, but the paint quickly built up on the needle, next time I will add some extra thinners to see if that improves things.

• Like 1