Takom Grant

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Progress is delayed by managing to acquire the required masonry paint, wood stain and varnish for repainting the house. (Think it's called an own goal!) :doh: 

Bank holidays wouldn't be right without a little DIY.....

BOOOOOO to D.I.Y that's what we have wifes for  :giggle:......this is an equal opportunities world after all :P

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

BOOOOOO to D.I.Y that's what we have wifes for  :giggle:......this is an equal opportunities world after all :P

That's brave!

By the time I've gone over it, and cleaned the mess up its quicker to do it.....:whistle:

• Haha 2

Not a huge amount done since last update but...

Basic weathering done and sealed prior to more detailed and specific tweaks and touches. 

Probably going to mount the suspension units prior to doing much more, which I guess means looking into the tracks and securing the side skirts, one thing leads to another in this game!

Less of the waffle and to the pics. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and stay safe. 

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 14

I was going to say that instead of black, a very dark black/grey to show the signs of sun fade, but your dot and dab seems to have done the job anyway. Nice work Darryl.

John.

• Like 1

Camo' looks nice Darryl.....

I take it John's reference to "dot and Dab"....means oils. I'm still to try that out......I like the subtle effect you have there on the black you got with that .......:yes:

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

Coming together really nicely, like your paintwork effects nice and suttle

Stay safe          Roger

Thanks Roger, really appreciate your interest and encouragement. 

13 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I was going to say that instead of black, a very dark black/grey to show the signs of sun fade, but your dot and dab seems to have done the job anyway. Nice work Darryl.

John.

Hi John, I'd been thinking the same, the black, even though it was Rubber black was a bit tooo.....black!

However I cheated, as mentioned earlier I'd initially toned it down with heavily thinned Tamiya buff. Then back to the old favourite of Ak rainmarks for NATO tanks, it's so useful and easy to use. (Used Ak wash for German dark yellow on the sand first then the same rain marks).

11 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Camo' looks nice Darryl.....

I take it John's reference to "dot and Dab"....means oils. I'm still to try that out......I like the subtle effect you have there on the black you got with that .......:yes:

Hi Simon, my take on dot and dab was, haven't used it for a good few years and then on aeroplanes, would be to cover the surface with a multitude of dots of oil or enamel paint in varying colours, white/yellow/red/blue etc. Then with a flat brush moistened with thinners draw it back in the direction of the airflow until only the slightest hint of the colour remains. 

That said I've recently bought a set of cheap oils to have a play with so could be another tool and apparently the oils are more versatile...

Otherwise the effect achieved was done with Ak rainmarks and a flat brush moistened with white spirit. Still more to do yet but think it gives a good base to work with.

11 hours ago, clive_t said:

Nice job on the weathering :thumbsup2:

Thanks Clive, good to have you along.

11 hours ago, robw_uk said:

great finish.... like the fading on the black. This might have to be purchased as a 2nd load for my transporter

Hi Rob, thanks. 

What do they say, great minds think alike...... 

I had a similar idea, the Scammel is in the pending pile, (thought one was enough on BM) and this way I can see how yours works out! 

4 hours ago, f matthews said:

Really liking your work on this one.  It’s inspiring me to pick up another Grant!

Cheers, thanks for taking the time to comment, glad you like it.

Thanks chaps, really appreciate the feedback. 

Darryl 

• Like 1

Quick query for those in the know. The WE210 tracks that it comes with and are typical of the Grant, are the centre sections, the main contact area,  rubber, like some Sherman's and Achilles, or bare metal?

Going to have a stab at the kit provided link and length jobs.....

(Anyone have experience with Bronco tracks, they do the WE210 "double I" tracks and they aren't overly expensive??)

Thanks

Darryl 

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

The WE210 tracks that it comes with and are typical of the Grant, are the centre sections, the main contact area,  rubber, like some Sherman's and Achilles, or bare metal?

As far as I am aware, the double-I pattern treads were rubber, and were prone to heavy wear in stoney environments

• Like 1

On 22/04/2020 at 22:57, clive_t said:

As far as I am aware, the double-I pattern treads were rubber, and were prone to heavy wear in stoney environments

Thanks Clive, I had a suspicion they might have been rubber just wasn't sure. 

Cheers

23 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Have a look at this site Darryl.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/tracks/vvss_tracks.html

Also, one of the best sets of tracks that I've used are by Panda Plastics.

HTH's

John.

Thanks John, haven't seen the Panda we210s, being thrifty/tight the prospect of the bronco tracks (3543) had an appeal, £12.53 Inc postage!

That is if I cant make the kit ones supplied ones work.....

Cheers

Darryl 

As promised,  suspension units on, along with drive and idler wheels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Idler wheel, quite pleased with the metallic finish on the surface. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then the tracks...

spacer.png

So far so good, have them as four sections which I'll paint prior to fitting.....

Cheers

Darryl 

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hi John, they are the kit ones, couldn't ditch them without at least having a go. So far so good. They are link and length jobs, so I've made them into four separate pieces which I'll paint before the tricky job of trying to fit them. Might have been easier in this instance to have fitted the tracks prior to building the upper hull, as per the instructions. 

I'll let you know once fitted/attempted to fit how they worked out. Just doing one side at a time to save on potential mix up.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

great work, how did you do the idlers? I am probably too late for the Matilda as the wheels & tracks are all glued up but can probably do a little of the them

8 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

great work, how did you do the idlers? I am probably too late for the Matilda as the wheels & tracks are all glued up but can probably do a little of the them

Should have said shouldn't I :doh:

I used an old tin of Xtracolour burnt iron, I suspect anything similar would work, once dry a wash with Ak trackwash, again allow to dry and work in some ground down graphite from a suitable pencil, or pencil crayon in this case, with the tip of a cotton bud and keep working it to get a nice metallic sheen.

Good luck

Darryl 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And onto a track. As I might have mentioned, just doing one at a time, painted prior to fitting as is my preference and to be honest, wasn't as awkward as I'd anticipated.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Why do you only ever spot things once its photographed and being posted, I thought the track had gone together too well! Just noticed an "anomaly" in front of the first road wheel where the link has come apart......!

Thanks to John "Bullbasket" for his track painting technique I've pinched once again, cheers John. (Grey Halfords primer with Ak trackwash).

And t'other side prepared ready for paint.

spacer.png

With the side skirt re fitted. Not a perfect fit at rear above idler but it's a compromise between damage to paint requiring repaint, tricky to match up, and a slight misalignment that can be disguised... Isn't stowage handy!

spacer.png

Thanks for stopping by to have a look.

Atb

Darryl 

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Like 12