Takom Grant

On 26/07/2020 at 14:43, clive_t said:

Regardless of the number of attempts, that's a damned fine piece of work!

On 26/07/2020 at 17:29, Hamden said:

Seconded!

Roger

On 26/07/2020 at 17:36, Dads203 said:

Ditto to what they said ;) 

You are moving in the right direction Darryl, keep it up fella.

13 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous comment in his Meng Jagdpanther post. Or to put it another way, nice work Darryl.

John.

13 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Yeah yeah yeah your just showing of now......:bleh:

Thanks chaps, really doubt I'd have managed it without a certain degree of encouragement and helpful suggestions. 

It's not perfect by any means but, heading in the right direction as Dan mentioned. 

Thanks once more

Darryl 

• Like 1

Figure now has head and body united, however he might need a trip to a+e for what I'm going to call shrapnel injuries. 

He's complaining of ear ache, apparently caused by the buisness end of my 0.2mm drill bit embedded in his ear. Seemed a sensible idea to wire up his headphones...should have drilled them out before glueing his noggin on!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Need to refit the hatches and complete the second tarp replacement. 

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

He's complaining of ear ache, apparently caused by the buisness end of my 0.2mm drill bit embedded in his ear.

It's ok he's British...nothin a nice cuppa tea won't put right....Lookin fantastic Darryl

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

It's ok he's British...nothin a nice cuppa tea won't put right....Lookin fantastic Darryl

Not putting him near any hot liquid until he's at least sealed,  knowing my luck it'll prove to be a excellent paint stripper! 

Thanks again, not sure about fantastic but it'll fill the hole and if being honest, way better than previous attempts.

Cheers

• Like 1

Right, going to call this one, until at least I've done a base and it goes in RFI.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Before anyone mentions it, I've noticed the o/s track is coming apart at the first road wheel and I've made a replacement aerial mast as this one is now rather bent.

You only spot things once doing pics dont you?

For those cant be bothered to read the tiresome wip; Takom Grant, part of a Panzerart stowage set, side tarps replaced with pva soaked tissue as the resins ones didn't look right and Masterbox figure with Hornet head, what fun.....

Thanks for taking the time to look in and happy sticking and painting.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Yes you do....absolutely lovely bud ..looks a million dollars in the natural light which in itself was a ballsy move because if anything shows up problems with a model it's natural light.....just goes to show what a great job you did with it. Now get on with the base. :bleh:

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Yes you do....absolutely lovely bud ..looks a million dollars in the natural light which in itself was a ballsy move because if anything shows up problems with a model it's natural light.....just goes to show what a great job you did with it. Now get on with the base. :bleh:

Thanks old fella, appreciated, particularly after seeing your works of art. 

I really prefer natural light pics, perhaps that's more to do with the camera etc.

Home from work last night, early eve sun, perfect!

Dash in, ignore the hound etc, grab Grant, nearly drop it in haste. Handy tile lying around, looked better than weathered garden table top, few quick pics, didn't look to bad.

Considering its depicting a North Africa vehicle thought the low sun suited it.

That's two bases waiting to be done now...

Cheers

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Before anyone mentions it, I've noticed the o/s track is coming apart at the first road wheel and I've made a replacement aerial mast as this one is now rather bent.

It'll be fine. Just don't let him drive off with it like that.

Nice work Darryl. It turned out really well and Tommy Atkins looks great.

John.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

The natural light shows off the dust, the weathering and the textures rather splendidly. A great rendition of a great kit.Looks like you enjoyed building and painting it.👏

Thanks Stef, funnily enough, I did, even the tracks that I had been warned about weren't actually too bad. 

So good I've the CDL version in the stash now as well...

5 hours ago, Hamden said:

Very nice job Darryl the sun brings out all the detail

Roger

Hi Roger, just what I thought, cant beat natural light for photos, imo.

5 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Very very nice build mate, the figure deserves a special mention fella. :speak_cool:

Thanks Dan, as we know figures are very much my "thing" at present. However thanks to lots of help from yourself,  @Bullbasket, @M3talpig and others i can't just remember 

I believe I'm heading in the right direction, long way to go but at least improving...

(Really shouldn't tempt fate..)

4 hours ago, Tojo72 said:

Like the overall dusty look,and the figure looks really good

Thanks Tojo, the figure is a new thing I'm trying to get to grips with. Aeroplanes are fine without but vehicles I always think look better with at least one...

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It'll be fine. Just don't let him drive off with it like that.

Nice work Darryl. It turned out really well and Tommy Atkins looks great.

John.

Thanks John, dont think he'd be going far with his tracks falling apart. Thanks once again for the tips and suggestions re' the figures.  The replacement heads were a good call, why not order 11 when you only need  2....! (Still waiting on the eye decals)

Just bought a book on them as well, David Parkers Crew School, only briefly glanced at it so far but it appears quite good and not overly complicated...

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to look in and leave comments, much appreciated 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, clive_t said:

Very nicely done.

8 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Top job Darryl, absolutely cracking bit of work...

Ed...

Thanks Clive and Ed, nice to have had you along, really appreciated your comments.

Cheers

Darryl 

22 hours ago, Model Mate said:

top job! the streaky dust looks particularly effective and I always like to see "real" tarps rather than plastic lumps. Well done.

Thanks, I tried the resin ones but as had been pointed out they did look very 

plasticky, sure with a bit more practice the tarps could probably be improved upon still  but it reaches a point....

Atb

Darryl 

Green Stuff 2 part epoxy putty is also very good, if you use Talc powder you can roll it paper thin so it’s ideal for all tarps and covers. The talc stops it from sticking to tools and the board that you roll it on. 

It has loads of uses from figures to adding welds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Green Stuff 2 part epoxy putty is also very good, if you use Talc powder you can roll it paper thin so it’s ideal for all tarps and covers. The talc stops it from sticking to tools and the board that you roll it on. 

A product that is always in my toolbox ...best on the market by far

• Like 2

Very nice build Darryl. I have the Miniart one to start on and yours has definitely whetted my appetite. The figures give a real sense of the height of these tanks.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Model Mate said:

I've had reasonable success with cigarette papers in PVA - they're a bit more resilient than tissue paper.

14 hours ago, Dads203 said:

It has loads of uses from figures to adding welds. 

Thanks chaps, something to keep in mind for next time, quite sure I'll be needing something along these lines sooner or later. 

Green stuff you say.....as if I need an excuse to spend money on new stuff!!

8 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Very nice build Darryl. I have the Miniart one to start on and yours has definitely whetted my appetite. The figures give a real sense of the height of these tanks.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, good of you to comment, glad you like it.

I haven't seen the Miniart kit but I have heard good things about it, isn't it an earlier version than the Takom one?

I'm no expert on them but i seam to recall someone said something along those lines.

Just what you'd want on a wide open battlefield, a nice tall tank to really grab someone's attention....

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

Hi Stix, that's very kind of you, not sure it's really worthy of a :worthy:, perhaps that should go to all the fab contributors on BM for pushing it and me in the right direction.

Much appreciated nevertheless.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1