Takom Grant

Hi Darryl,
It looks great with that weathering applied, even with two such different colors.
What did not convince me, are the long side tarps, not because one has been taken down, but because they do not give me a sense of reality, they look very plastic, not because of your painting, but because of its preparation, no so the others.

Cheers and TC
Francis 👍

On 13/05/2020 at 12:19, FrancisGL said:

Hi Darryl,
It looks great with that weathering applied, even with two such different colors.
What did not convince me, are the long side tarps, not because one has been taken down, but because they do not give me a sense of reality, they look very plastic, not because of your painting, but because of its preparation, no so the others.

Cheers and TC
Francis 👍

Hi Francis, can't say I'm entirely happy with those myself, one reason why it's not fixed permanently. Think it needs to be fitted snug to the side skirt, my hunch is it was a semi-permanent fixture and stretched out when needed. However I can't put my finger on what the surface texture of it needs, is it not matt enough?? :hmmm:

Thanks for looking and the suggestion.

Atb

Darryl 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Francis, can't say I'm entirely happy with those myself, one reason why it's not fixed permanently. Think it needs to be fitted snug to the side skirt, my hunch is it was a semi-permanent fixture and stretched out when needed. However I can't put my finger on what the surface texture of it needs, is it not matt enough?? :hmmm:

Thanks for looking and the suggestion.

Atb

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

It is a somewhat difficult question for me to answer, I imagine that a matte finish would help, since it is a very dusty environment.
Perhaps it is because it is a very large piece, which is why, at least to me, it does not give me a "cloth" feeling, but rather that I see a piece of plastic.
Maybe with a piece of "gauze" or real fabric, it would look better ... or try to texturize the piece ...
Also if you are not comfortable, I imagine you could do without it, because there would be vehicles that would have probably lost it.
Clive_t made one of these (Academy I think), and used gauze if I remember correctly.
If you find the topic, you can see and compare models ... in any case, it is not a criticism, because the model as I commented before, looks very nice.
Cheers and TC
Francis. 👍

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Darryl,

It is a somewhat difficult question for me to answer, I imagine that a matte finish would help, since it is a very dusty environment.
Perhaps it is because it is a very large piece, which is why, at least to me, it does not give me a "cloth" feeling, but rather that I see a piece of plastic.
Maybe with a piece of "gauze" or real fabric, it would look better ... or try to texturize the piece ...
Also if you are not comfortable, I imagine you could do without it, because there would be vehicles that would have probably lost it.
Clive_t made one of these (Academy I think), and used gauze if I remember correctly.
If you find the topic, you can see and compare models ... in any case, it is not a criticism, because the model as I commented before, looks very nice.
Cheers and TC
Francis. 👍

Hey Darryl, Francis is correct - well remembered Francis! :D

I did a long roll of camo netting draped along one side - which was actually made from a rolled up piece of gauze, and soaked in dilute PVA which was coloured with a dash of desert yellow. The idea being that I could secure it in place, and then force the roll to 'sag' in the middle in between securing points, to give the impression of weight.

For the other side I made a long tarp roll out of a strip of metal cut from a tomato puree tube - very soft, easily rolled, squashed and creased, and that too was sprayed with desert yellow or similar.

For detail the relevant page of the WIP thread is here .

As Francis says, though, often they were lost in the rush to break leaguer, or they just fell off whilst at the gallop.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Clive, 

Precisely today I am going to see the movie "Sahara", the remake, which I have been able to achieve in very good quality, I had already seen that of "Bogey", and I really liked it, with the curiosity that the M3 that appears in the movie, was "Just out of the box" ... lol (1943), now I don't know how it will be, but I hope it doesn't disappoint me, and I can see authentic vintage material in "action".
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Thanks Clive and Francis, need to get this one finished as it's at that 99% done point and need to get it on with it before it stalls. The figures have come and I'm debating doing a small base for it but the lure of a fresh kit is tempting.....

The problem is also time, working 6 days p/w along with household "stuff" doesn't leave much of it.

Thanks again chaps.

Darryl 

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks Clive and Francis, need to get this one finished as it's at that 99% done point and need to get it on with it before it stalls. The figures have come and I'm debating doing a small base for it but the lure of a fresh kit is tempting.....

The problem is also time, working 6 days p/w along with household "stuff" doesn't leave much of it.

Thanks again chaps.

Darryl 

Don't let us stop you starting a new one! :D

I'd be interested in seeing what the figures look like before you work your magic on them, just to gauge the quality of the moulding etc - no worries if I'm too late!

• Like 1

On 16/05/2020 at 10:52, clive_t said:

Don't let us stop you starting a new one! :D

I'd be interested in seeing what the figures look like before you work your magic on them, just to gauge the quality of the moulding etc - no worries if I'm too late!

Hi Clive, just for you:

MB 

spacer.png

These look rather nice and cleanly moulded, never built any MB figures so will reserve judgement there. 

And now, Miniart:

spacer.png

Haven't opened these yet as still sealed in cellophane, However having used miniart figures before I would expect them to be crisply moulded but probably requiring a smear of filler on a few joints. 

Plan on using one of the seated figures with his legs dangling into the turret, haven't thought much beyond there, yet..

Could use Monty and the camel on a future Challenger II....:hmmm:

Clive, if you would like more detailed pics, etc, let me know and I'll do some.

Cheers

Darryl 

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They look good - never used MB figures before, but the MiniArt set I used were good quality mouldings. The fit of the parts, good though it was, was of no real consequence to me, as for several of the figures I did a lot of hacking and rearranging of limbs to get the poses I wanted. Apologies yet again for infesting your thread with links to my own threads, but the WIP for my Alam Halfa dio figures is here .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Another one to get finished, after little debate decided to have a go at replacing the tarp on the side skirt. As Francis mentioned the resin tarp just didn't look right. 

I've created a replacement from kitchen towel and pva, any thoughts one way or the other?

Also commander figure under way, just awaiting a replacement noggin.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Darryl 

• Like 5

Tarp looks good to me Darryl if maybe a little to much droop on the ends - looks to me as if it could get caught in the tracks

Roger

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Tarp looks good to me Darryl if maybe a little to much droop on the ends - looks to me as if it could get caught in the tracks

Roger

Thanks Roger, your probably right, sure I can trim it back.

You reckon an improvement over the resin one then?

Thanks

Darryl 

• Like 1

Looks great to me, Darryl, the home grown solution is a definite improvement on the resin casting even if slightly too much droop! :D

I guess it just needs some polyester thread or similar to make up some securing ropes?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, clive_t said:

Looks great to me, Darryl, the home grown solution is a definite improvement on the resin casting even if slightly too much droop! :D

I guess it just needs some polyester thread or similar to make up some securing ropes?

Thanks Clive, I wasn't really happy with the resin one and whilst waiting for some flesh paint and a new nut for the commander figure thought I'd make my own.

(Think I'll leave the topic of droop well alone, oooh matron). :whistle:

I've a couple of almost complete builds littering the bench, so must get these finished before starting on anything else...

Pinched an idea of John's (Bullbasket), no idea how you properly mention someones name in these threads btw, of tying things on with wire as I've done here. This way it's nice and tight, unlike the last attempt with knotted thread, and I can still loop thread over it to disguise the wire.

Thanks

Darryl 

Darryl droopy ends are a no go mate cut them back and they will look better than the resin bits cracking work so far  👍

beefy

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, edjbartos said:

A really fabulous build, really enjoyed looking through your progress

Ed

Thanks Ed, it's been lying around on the Bench waiting to be finished, determined fo get it put away before I drop something on it or knock it off etc.

Appreciate you looking in, fabulous work on the T55 btw.

9 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Darryl droopy ends are a no go mate cut them back and they will look better than the resin bits cracking work so far  👍

beefy

Hi Beefy, absolutely right, consider the ends chopped!

The resin ones just didn't, look right. Cant really complain, I'd only paid a few quid second hand for the entire Panzer Art set included lots of stowage that can be used on future builds.

Thanks again for the feedback 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

@Jasper dog. 'Morning Darryl. Type @, then type in the user name. A box should appear with a selection of names, and you click on the appropriate one, and hey presto. I think that the length of the tarp and the subject of droop has been covered enough, so I'll just say that if you carry out the suggestions from others, it should look the bees knees. 

Probably the biggest problem with the length of the overhang from the securing point, is the rigidity. To return to the droop question, gravity would drag it down. HTH's.

John.

Along with replacing the tarps on the side skirts, going to install a commander, not my favourite aspect of this game but....

Using a masterbox figure as mentioned earlier, replacement Hornet head in the hope the more pronounced features might make painting easier....

Any how, after 3 attempts at painting the head here's where we are;

spacer.png

Along with the required body. 

spacer.png

Body not too bad, head I'm sure could be better but after spending most of the morning on it he'll suffice. 

Just need to mate the two.

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Body not too bad, head I'm sure could be better but after spending most of the morning on it he'll suffice. 

Just need to mate the two

Yeah yeah yeah your just showing of now......:bleh:

• Haha 2