Takom Grant

Looking really nice Darryl and the tracks have come together well as has the rest of the running gear ...is this going on a scene or just a display model....it deserves a vignette or diorama. :goodjob: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Looking really nice Darryl and the tracks have come together well as has the rest of the running gear ...is this going on a scene or just a display model....it deserves a vignette or diorama. :goodjob: 

Steady on, bit to do yet, as for a base.... not sure.

I've quite enjoyed a small vignette in the past and can see the possibilities. :hmmm:

They do look better on a base but take up more room in the cabinet. 

Glad you like it, plenty of opportunities to make a hash of it yet though!

Cheers 

Darryl 

11 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

Coming together really well Darryl. As others have said, the oil fading is very effective, especially on the black. Nice work with the tracks too.

Andy:cat:

Thanks Andy, slow progress but its not supposed to be a race...

It never fails to surprise when something turns out ok!:frantic:

Still got the other side to fit yet......

Cheers

Darryl 

I like the way this is progressing Darryl. Just a little something that you can add if you want. The road wheels on these and VVSS Shermans rubbed against the teeth of the tracks and wore off the paint from the rims. You could add that by rubbing an HB pencil over them.

John.

• Like 2

On 28/04/2020 at 08:40, Bullbasket said:

I like the way this is progressing Darryl. Just a little something that you can add if you want. The road wheels on these and VVSS Shermans rubbed against the teeth of the tracks and wore off the paint from the rims. You could add that by rubbing an HB pencil over them.

John.

Thanks John, good idea re' rims, something I completely overlooked,  just like I've forgotten to work some graphite powder onto the contact area on the inside of the N/S track!:doh:

Cheers 

Both tracks on. Not sure if I lost one of the track links but had to use one of the spare links supplied, otherwise the tracks went on ok. There might be a slight gap around the top of the drive wheel on the O/S but as that's hidden behind the sideskirt no one knows about it :winkgrin:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The sideskirts have been a little awkward to fit without having to do any repainting but think I've got away with. 

As John pointed out, a little bit of bare-metal wouldn't go amiss on the rims of the road wheels but, and I'm not sure why, I couldn't get any pencil to leave a mark. I can only assume it was the matt coat however the pencil has worked fine on the upper hull...

Getting closer to completion...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Apart from the remaining commanders hatch cover to fit pretty much complete.  

Next job has to be stowage etc, a touch of pigment weathering and a figure or two (North Africa tank crew appear to be hard to find!).

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 12

Aye up Darryl.

Brilliant job. Nicely rendered paint finish. Miniart do/did a set of North Africa British tank crew that you may be able to track down.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Darryl.

Brilliant job. Nicely rendered paint finish. Miniart do/did a set of North Africa British tank crew that you may be able to track down.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the info, is that the armoured car crew or a another specific tank crew?

I've seen the armoured car crew but couldn't find any other?

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looks the dogs do-dah's Outstanding paint work

Stay safe               Roger

Hi Roger, your too kind, think probably a lucky accident but I'll take it!

Thanks again

Darryl 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flashlight said:

The Grant looks amazing, Darryl! The paint job is outstanding, I especially like the streaks in the dark areas of the pattern.

Have a nice day

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks, glad you like it.

Still plenty of opportunities to mess it up but it's all part of the fun, apparently!

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Cheers

Darryl 

2 hours ago, Lloydylloyd said:

Gekko do a nice tank crew set - 3 in shorts, 3 in full overalls.

Hi, thanks for the info, might be handy.

Just looked them up, never seen any of the Gekko figures before, do you have any experience of them?

Cheers 

Darryl 

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Steve, thanks for the info, is that the armoured car crew or a another specific tank crew?

I've seen the armoured car crew but couldn't find any other?

Cheers 

Darryl 

Aye up Darryl,

Sorry, it's not MiniArt it's Master Box that do the desert tank crew. The set includes Monty and a camel! Link below.

http://www.mbltd.info/figures/1-35-scale/world-war-ii-era/3564.html

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi, thanks for the info, might be handy.

Just looked them up, never seen any of the Gekko figures before, do you have any experience of them?

Cheers 

Darryl 

I've got the set I mentioned.  Pretty basic but the 1 figure I've built so far went together well enough.  Needed a bit of attention around the arm joins.

Plastic is pretty soft with a bit of flash but cleans up well enough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Darryl,

Sorry, it's not MiniArt it's Master Box that do the desert tank crew. The set includes Monty and a camel! Link below.

http://www.mbltd.info/figures/1-35-scale/world-war-ii-era/3564.html

Regards,

Steve

Aye up Steve, just looked them up, I can get them from a seller in the Ukraine and... as you say, it comes with a Camel!!!! 

Who doesn't want a 1/35 Camel!:frantic:

How cool would a Camel look on a small vignette........

Cheers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lloydylloyd said:

I've got the set I mentioned.  Pretty basic but the 1 figure I've built so far went together well enough.  Needed a bit of attention around the arm joins.

Plastic is pretty soft with a bit of flash but cleans up well enough.

Thanks, might be worth having a pop, British figures are always handy. Nice to have a heads up on them. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Great job on the Grant :thumbsup2:

MiniArt do actually do a British tank crew set:

https://miniart-models.com/products/35078/

This was the set that was included with the Academy 'El Alamein' boxing of the Grant that I did a couple of years ago.

Thanks Clive, I know the set you mean, I've used them on a couple of other projects, the Otter for one. Didn't know they been discontinued though,  might need to get some more. I like sets like that as I can pick odd figures out and one set will do for a number of projects. Particularly if I follow advice and replace heads, makes them a little more unique. 

Is your Grant still on BM, Can't remember whether I've seen it or not?

Cheers

13 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Great camo, I love it! 👍👍

Thanks, much appreciated, glad you like it.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks Clive, I know the set you mean, I've used them on a couple of other projects, the Otter for one. Didn't know they been discontinued though,  might need to get some more. I like sets like that as I can pick odd figures out and one set will do for a number of projects. Particularly if I follow advice and replace heads, makes them a little more unique. 

Is your Grant still on BM, Can't remember whether I've seen it or not?

Sorry Darryl, I hadn't noticed the fact that they had marked the set as discontinued. I imagine, however, that there may be suppliers out there with residual stocks.

I also made use of a couple from their British jeep crew set (again, with Hornet heads):

https://miniart-models.com/products/35051/

You might hazard a guess as to which of these made the cut, from the RFI for which is here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clive_t said:

Sorry Darryl, I hadn't noticed the fact that they had marked the set as discontinued. I imagine, however, that there may be suppliers out there with residual stocks.

I also made use of a couple from their British jeep crew set (again, with Hornet heads):

https://miniart-models.com/products/35051/

You might hazard a guess as to which of these made the cut, from the RFI for which is here.

Thanks once more Clive,  I've the armoured car set on order, it was a toss up between that and the jeep one.  However, as suggested earlier by Steve (Fatfingers), Masterbox do a set with a Camel!!

Just as soon as I get half a chance I'll have a good look at your Grant, and the rest btw, a quick look earlier wasn't enough, your yearbook looked excellent....

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1