P-40 in Finnish service

matto21

Hi all, 

I'd like to participate in this if I may? 

I've had a P-40 gathering dust in the stash for ages. I'd been looking for an alternative scheme for this for a while, because the options in the box, including those captured and flown by Japanese forces didn't inspire me. 

So, the base kit will be this, Hasegawa's 1/48 P-40E. 

IMG_20200314_084931

The markings will come from SBS Models "captured fighters in Finnish service" sheet. The aircraft represented on the sheet is actually a P-40M but I'm going to accept the error - my goal this year is to reduce my stash by selling kits I've accumulated and, more drastically, by actually just building them and having fun! 🤣

IMG_20200314_084845

Other goodies include a replacement IP from Yahu, resin wheels, also by SBS Models, and some Quickboost exhausts. 

IMG_20200314_084859

IMG_20200314_084828

So, hopefully that all makes sense and fits the groups criteria. I'm hoping to make progress because for the first time in a couple of years, I'm enjoying my modelling again. 

Matt 

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Excellent! That one P-40 of ours is too seldom modelled, though there's enough reference, kits and even decals available. :popcorn:. V-P

Just so long as you can ignore the fact its an E and not an M! 😉

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, matto21 said:

Just so long as you can ignore the fact its an E and not an M! 😉

That's only traditional! 30-40 years ago Heller, or its importer to Finland, used to add Finnish decals to its kits and that included the P-40E!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

That's only traditional! 30-40 years ago Heller, or its importer to Finland, used to add Finnish decals to its kits and that included the P-40E!

There you go Matt. If anyone criticises you for picking an E rather than an M you can tell them it's a model of a model ;) In the meantime the rest of us will be happy to watch you building a kit from your stash :)

• Like 1

Even the Finnish Air Force thought it was a P-40E a.k.a Kittyhawk, and thus numbered it KH-51 - KittyHawk-51! The plane was a P-40M-10- CU s/n 43-5925. It was force landed by a Soviet pilot on lake Valkjärvi on the Karelian Isthmus 27.12.1943. It was never used on combat missions but on enemy plane familiarization flights in HLeLv 32. Last flight on 12.2.1945, sold for scrap in 2.1.1950. It had logged only 64.35 hours. Source: Kari Stenman

• Like 3

Unfortunately, all I know is already written in the post above! V-P

Edit: In pics of the plane taken in August -44 the spinner was aluminium colour - unpainted? One month later it had a black spinner with white spiral, like in the SBS instructions, and a Hawk 75A prop.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Unfortunately, all I know is already written in the post above! V-P

Well is was more than any of us else have contributed so all good ;) 

• Like 2

I've made a start, although nothing much to get excited about. Cockpit parts have been removed and tidied up. The seat's just dry-fitted here. I'm not going to do much other than paint, weather and apply some belts...apart from the Yahu IP of course. 

IMG_20200314_213947

I find these multi-part fuselage's that Hasegawa are so fond of to be a bit of a faff. Based on other builds, attaching the tail parts before joining the halves together seems to be the way to go so I've followed suit. 

IMG_20200314_214516

Not too bad, although eliminating the seam will be a challenge. There are a few other gaps here and there that'll need some filling too. 

IMG_20200314_215830

Matt 

Edited by matto21
  • Like 3

welcome along Matt, and with something that is really different and I wouldn't have expected to see.

I didn't know the Finnish Air Force used P-40's at all, so I've learnt something new as well.

The hasegawa P-40's are really nice models to build, I built a Eduard 1/32nd (re-boxed Hasegawa) one last year, it was one of the nicest models I've built in ages.

Don't get too caught up with the E & M thing....from the right angle no one will notice! :whistle: As long as you have fun and reduce the stash.....room for more :D, then that's all that matters.

Good luck with the build, hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

Thank you Rich! 

Quick question: the SBS sheets suggests FS34096 for the green. The only exact match I can find is by AK Real Colors, however I'd rather stick to Tamiya, or preferably Mr Color.

So my question is, what do people suggest, Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green or Mr Hobby RLM71 Dark Green (or something else?) - it's hard to tell from online paint charts. 

Matt 

Vallejo sell the exact color in their Model color range. Ive been using it fine in my A/B and with a Hairy-stick. 

http://www.modeltoy.it/mobile/product_info.php?cPath=1089_1397_1399&products_id=16407&redirectCancelled=true

Link is for display only, I have 0 connection to the seller. 

Dennis

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Vallejo sell the exact color in their Model color range. Ive been using it fine in my A/B and with a Hairy-stick. 

http://www.modeltoy.it/mobile/product_info.php?cPath=1089_1397_1399&products_id=16407&redirectCancelled=true

Link is for display only, I have 0 connection to the seller. 

Dennis

Thank for that, I've given up with Vallejo's, other than for detail painting, as I just cannot get a finish I'm happy with when spraying. 

I've got a couple of ish colours, so I'll mix up an appropriate shade when the time comes. 

Matt 

• Like 1

Here's tonight's progress. Cockpit painted and weathered. Yes I know the shade of green is questionable, but I prefer them to be a bit lighter if possible. 

IMG_20200315_215823

Belts scratchbuilt using HGW buckles. Few touch ups needed on the seat where the chipping is less than ideal... 

Matt 

Edited by matto21
  • Like 5

the cockpit does look very nice, well done.

As to the cockpit colour Curtiss had their own version of green for the cockpits which they painted in house. Curtiss Cockpit Green was made by the Berry Brothers, which was a local company and was their approximation of Interior Green though it was a little browner.

I don't know where SBS got their colour from.

FS.34096 (Nivo) = XF-61 which I think is way too dark.

FS.34151 (Interior Green) = H58 (sorry no Tamiya eq) is a much better and closer colour.

being and inclosed space the green will darken up so should look fine with what you have, plus it'll let you see the detail better.

Plus remember that the scolloped window cutouts where painted the same colour as the fuselage in that area. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

the cockpit does look very nice, well done.

As to the cockpit colour Curtiss had their own version of green for the cockpits which they painted in house. Curtiss Cockpit Green was made by the Berry Brothers, which was a local company and was their approximation of Interior Green though it was a little browner.

I don't know where SBS got their colour from.

FS.34096 (Nivo) = XF-61 which I think is way too dark.

FS.34151 (Interior Green) = H58 (sorry no Tamiya eq) is a much better and closer colour.

being and inclosed space the green will darken up so should look fine with what you have, plus it'll let you see the detail better.

Plus remember that the scolloped window cutouts where painted the same colour as the fuselage in that area. 

Thanks for the information, I actually need H58 for another build. 

Any suggestions for the fuselage green - Tamiya or Mr Hobby preferably? 

Oppps sorry, were you originally taking about the interior or exterior top colour?

My waffling on was just for the interior, Mr Hobby H58 Interior Green.

For the upper surface Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green is listed as a  match for FS.34096, there isn't one for the Mr Hobby range.

• Like 1

2020-03-16_12-33-44

Source: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finnish-Fighter-Colours-1939-1945-White/dp/8363678074/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=stenman%2C+kari&qid=1584355578&sr=8-9

(I have of course the Finnish edition)

Finnish 101 for modellers:

elokuu = August

syyskuu = September

yläpuoli = upper surfaces

alapuoli = lower surfaces

tunnusnumerot = id numbers

itärintamatunnukset = eastern front theater markings

kenttävihreä = field green

DN-väri= DN-colour (named after the blue colour in Dornier (DN) bombers was found better than the alu dope then in use; equal to RLM 65)

musta= black

keltainen = yellow

suojamaalaus = camouflage

V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Le is short for Lento, flying

Lv is Laivue, squadron

Lentue, a flight, has no abbreviation and is just marked by its number e.g. my Do 17 DN-57 build belonged to 1./LeLv 46 - first flight of flying squadron 46, which was part of LeR 4, Lento Rykmentti 4, flying regiment 4 (a.k.a. group).

The squadrons were by 1944 renamed, adding P or H to their description; PLeLv 46 being short for PommitusLentoLaivue 46, a BombardmentFlyingSquadron. For fighters it was HLeLv, HävittäjäLentoLaivue. There were regiments also in the army, and squadrons in the navy; thus the added "Lento". Naturally flights only in the air force 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I'm sorry but I can't. I once wrote word  c r a p  in a kit review comment and a BM "staff" member edited it and reminded me that we don't swear here :rofl2:

Well the 'C word' is too much - but I'm pretty sure we can say kakka, right? :winkgrin: ... I mean it's a minor god in babylonian mythology after all? :devil:

- - - - 

@matto21 Nice looking kit and great that you're doing a finnish subject :) 

• Haha 4