Wessex plane guard interiors

Massimo

Good morningmates,

I'm in the middle of an Wessex HAS1 build for my project above and I need help.

I've already double checked all my documentation about the Wessie, but Icouldn't find any specific info about what was the layout of the loading bay on the Wessex on board Ark Royal.

3i4fgvZ.jpg

7ZpTXyp.jpg

This is where Iam now, but I've come to a stand still as I don't know what toput in it!

The purpose for these aircraft was to hover at the side of the Carrier while theother aircraft were taking off or landing, to intervene and rescue the crews incase of an accident.

I assume they were intervening very close to the carrier thus it would have been enough just to winch the victims  on the carrier deck , where the medical staff would take care of them. 

Were they equipped with a stretcher as the yellow rescue version? 

7lS6pSA.jpg

I think on this one I can see the folding seats inthe background behind the crew and against the window , but this is all I've got.

I've found loads of pictures of different layouts, but I don't know which is  the right one.

Can anybody help me?

GRAZIE

Massimo

Edited by Massimo

I am still searching Massimo, maybe the Helicopter Museum might have the info you need

I still think there might be a sea tray fitted like the RAF rescue machines had, nobody wants water getting at the interior of a helicopter but I cannot find anything else yet

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, perdu said:

I am still searching Massimo, maybe the Helicopter Museum might have the info you need

I still think there might be a sea tray fitted like the RAF rescue machines had, nobody wants water getting at the interior of a helicopter but I cannot find anything else yet

Sea tray?????:blink:

Never heard of it...

Thanks for your support, Bill!!!

The sea tray was a thick  rubberised sheet which covered the cabin floor. Its purpose was to stop sea water coming into contact with the magnesium parts of the airframe. There were also normally 'curtains' around the cabin sides for the same reason. 

I have seen sea trays in the same apple green colour as the soundproofing and also in dark green.

I would expect the troop seats to be fitted and also al the normal SAR paraphernalia to be present, eg liferaft, wet suits, lifting strips etc.

Hope this helps

• Like 1