Handley Page Victor B.Mk.2(BS)

8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

How did this thread slip past me? Looks pretty good so far, have you decided which scheme to paint?

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but watch out for the wrong instructions on the flaps.

Also, there's a small intake missing on the kit from the left side wing root of the blue steel Victors, not present on the K2s Airfix had for reference

Hi Adam,Ā 

She is going to be anti flash white, although Im dreading airbrushing such a large build white! šŸ˜¬

Thanks,Ā 

MichelleĀ 

3 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Hi Adam,Ā 

She is going to be anti flash white, although Im dreading airbrushing such a large build white! šŸ˜¬

Thanks,Ā 

MichelleĀ 

Halford's Appliance White is your friend here.

Ā 

Helpful of MarsĀ šŸ‘½

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Any tips on getting a nice finish? I am not looking forward to spraying it.Ā 

Ā 

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Halford's Appliance White is your friend here.

Ā 

Helpful of MarsĀ šŸ‘½

Second this, appliance white all the way. All of my white V Bombers are painted with that stuff. Just do one side of the model at a time or you'll end up unable to put it down and have to hold it for ages.... Which I did on both my Victors

• Thanks 1

So chaps, thank you for the tip.....? I have a slight problem however. With the current lockdown situation I don't have and can't get hold of any applience white. Anyone attempted airbrushing a white acrylic before?Ā 

Michelle.Ā 

Ah, spying whiteā€¦ as usual it depends on the brand of paint I'm afraid.

Ā 

Do you have any Stynylrez white primer? That'dĀ be a good start and I used it for my Sunderland then used Vallejo Model Air on top.

Ā 

YouĀ couldĀ make an 'essential journey' as Halfords is still open (bike shop?) and their website shows how to order / collect. Don't panic if you can't find 'Appliance White' on their site - I couldn't - butĀ I found this post that says they may have changed the name. I guess some shops might have stocks of the old stuff thoughā€¦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what I use, it's really good in my experience, with a nice satin finish.Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

This was the result, and just one coat. I never do undercoats or primers, never seem to need to.

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

For spray painting this is my technique; garden canes up the jet pipes! It's worked every time for me and means you can get a clear aim around the whole kit. Corporal Jones was wrong, they do like it up 'em!

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Hope this helps. Or maybe just shows why most people's models are painted better than mine! šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Oh wonderful! Great work so far. I really enjoyed building this kit. Will be interested to see if/how you weather, I've never done an all white plane. I've seen an Airfix Victor covered in oomska before and it looked wrong, that said a pristine sparkly coat of Appliance White may give it the appearance of a dishwasher...

• Thanks 1

My Ā£0.02.

Ā 

I find white runs because it is very hard to see good coverage and so you tend to over do it.

Ā 

I use Citadel Corax White aerosol, light dusting.

Then Halfords White Primer, light dusting.

Then Halfords Appliance White, light dusting.

Ā 

This gives me even coverage and no runs.

Ā 

See my Valiant and Victor builds for details...

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Ah, spying whiteā€¦ as usual it depends on the brand of paint I'm afraid.

Ā 

Do you have any Stynylrez white primer? That'dĀ be a good start and I used it for my Sunderland then used Vallejo Model Air on top.

Ā 

YouĀ couldĀ make an 'essential journey' as Halfords is still open (bike shop?) and their website shows how to order / collect. Don't panic if you can't find 'Appliance White' on their site - I couldn't - butĀ I found this post that says they may have changed the name. I guess some shops might have stocks of the old stuff thoughā€¦

I would be using Vallejo model air Ced.Ā 

Thanks,Ā 

MichelleĀ 

• Like 1

Spying white? What did I do? Sorryā€¦ obviously meant spraying!

Ā 

As others have said Michelle don't try to get an opaque coverage in one coat but otherwise I'm sure you'll be fine :)Ā 

• Thanks 1

Looks pretty 'hot' with acetone and stuff so not for spraying inside?

Ā 

I'm with Martian - try it on some scrap AND on some of the kit sprue, just to be sure.

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Spying white? What did I do? Sorryā€¦ obviously meant spraying!

Ā 

As others have said Michelle don't try to get an opaque coverage in one coat but otherwise I'm sure you'll be fine :)Ā 

So Ced if i decide just to go with Vallejo model air and not venture out into the world to halfords, what should i do about primer? I usually use Vallejo light grey........ How will it go under such a large expanse of white??Ā 

Ā 

Cheers,Ā 

M

I've not tried that Shellie and it depends on the white you've got and how opaque it is. You might get some nice pre-shading but you might just end up with a grey plane :(Ā 

I'm with Martian - try it on a mule first.

Ā 

HTH :)Ā 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

I've not tried that Shellie and it depends on the white you've got and how opaque it is. You might get some nice pre-shading but you might just end up with a grey plane :(Ā 

I'm with Martian - try it on a mule first.

Ā 

HTH :)Ā 

Ok, so i might just go for lots of light coats of Vallejo white. šŸ¤”

Thanks!Ā 

M

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy sanding, and filling and sanding the Victor to get my seams smooth. And finally I think I'm getting somewhere.Ā 

IMG_20200411_122715

I have built the bomb, which went together quickly and with ease. Just needed a little sanding along the seams, as well.Ā 

Next, I added the bomb bay doors choosing the one that allows the bomb to be attached. This was harder to fit, as one end is open and required a steady hand. Thankfully it went ok, and I have since added a little filler to smooth the joins.Ā 

IMG_20200411_122649

Having decided not to make a trip to Halfords (ours is a long way a way), I purchased some Vallejo white primer and white top coat in prep for painting.Ā 

IMG_20200411_122806

Soon time to add the wings.Ā 

• Like 6

Your build is coming along beautifully. Definitely looking forward to more progress reports as one of my next builds is a Victor, very soon.

• Thanks 1

The time had come to attach the wings to the fuselage. The top part of the wings fix to the fuselage with a saddle across the centre. It all fits together with a squeeze, the main problem is ensuring the wings sit in the right place whilst pressing down the centre section enough so it fits flush. Finally, after what felt like a long time, I had the wings in place.Ā 

IMG_20200413_123214 IMG_20200413_123226

Ā 

• Like 11

Over the weekend I have been working on the tail of the aircraft. This in itself is really distinctive, and the components go together really well, until it came to fitting it to the aircraft! To say this was a comete nightmare would be an understatement. Firstly it wouldnt fit without gaps, everywhere. Secondly, it wouldnt fit on straight. Before I lost my temper with the whole thing (and threw it across the room), I decided to sand the fuselage section down and try fitting it again. A lot of sanding later, I had it in place and level, thank goodness!Ā 

IMG_20200419_124506

Next I attached the underside of the wings. This was nice and easy and caused little to no stress.Ā 

IMG_20200419_124539

Coming along nicely now, every piece tou attach the build gets larger, it hardly fits in the cupboard now!Ā 

• Like 6