Handley Page Victor B.Mk.2(BS)

My next build is Airfix's 1:72 Handley Page Victor B.Mk.2 (my Christmas Present😁). Although my favourite aircraft to build are from WW2 era, my passion for real military aircraft comes from the 3 aircraft that made up our fabulous V Bombers. Of the 3 the Vulcan is my ultimate favourite, but the Victor, with its space age, almost alian loom is a close second. I plan to build the kit as it comes out of the box, using Vallejo acrylics in place of the suggested Humbrol. I am building her in the colours of 139 Squadron, Royal Air Force Wittering in the iconic anti flash white. 

Now down to business, the box is extremely large with beautiful box art. 

IMG_20200313_173449

It contains a very detailed instruction booklet, colour and decal chart and a selection of decals. 

IMG_20200313_173507 IMG_20200313_174915

There are 10 very detailed sprues with no flash, and a small clear sprue. 

IMG_20200313_173634 IMG_20200313_174235 IMG_20200313_174552

I am really looking forward to building this beast and hope i do her justice. 

• Like 30

Can't wait to see this! I've had one in the stash for a while and because it was so expensive and I only have the one I keep putting off starting it! I'll see how yours goes and hopefully get some tips.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

This is a lovely kit Shellie but it does take some care.  The main area where care needs to be taken is getting the wings on; the saddle that goes across the top of the fuselage tends to sit a bit high.  I’ve found with mine that a bit of sanding and filing on the inner surface will get it to fit neatly.  That job is made a lot easier if you don’t install the spar/upper intake tunnel moulding first (I’ll let you work out how I discovered that!).

There are plenty of WIP threads on the site which include plenty of information and research material so go fill your boots and enjoy one of the best Airfix kits ever.

• Like 1

I'll be watching this build too. I have the kit and finally figured out how to build it with a conventional bomb bay. The instructions don't tell you how to do that.

• Like 2

Work has begun......... I have given the sprues a wash in warm soapy water, and once they were dry, given them a coat of Vallejo acrylic primer. When the primer was dry, I built the pilot and co-pilot seats, and fixed the seat cushions to the rest of the crew seats. Tonight, I have airbrushed the fuselage interior, desk and instruments medium sea grey. Then painted the crew seats interior cockpit green, and the pilots seats black. Finally, I airbrushed the cockpit floor Nato black, hoping to tone it down a little. 

IMG_20200314_223426

So far, so good. 

• Like 6

Today i have added some details to the seats and instruments and begun building the cockpit. It all fits together with relative ease and before long it was complete. 

IMG_20200315_154222 IMG_20200315_154436 IMG_20200315_154929 IMG_20200315_154935

Then I airbrushed the parts for the nose wheel well, with Vallejo Aluminium. 

IMG_20200315_163305

Once dry I began construction, again all the connection tabs fit perfectly and in minutes it was built. 

IMG_20200315_170458

I'm really enjoying the quality of this kit. 

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 15

On 15/03/2020 at 23:35, SAT69 said:

That's such beautiful work. The cockpit is amazing. What brushes do you use to achieve such fine detail?

Thank you! I use a Prolene Pro Arte size 00 for the detailing, if it requires a finer touch I use a cocktail stick.

Thanks again, 

Michelle 

• Like 1

Progress update: I have begun work on the wings. Firstly attaching the walls/sides of the undercarriage bay, this was all relatively simple. Then I began adding the small divisions in the air intakes, which give the aircraft part of its iconic look. These slot in through the top and require a bit of fiddling around, but again cause no bother. I sanded the seams a little in the intakes, before building the exhaust tubes.

Finally I decided to airbrush some colour inside the air intakes now to make my life easier later. I have to say I am really enjoying this kit. 

IMG_20200320_182630 IMG_20200320_182636 IMG_20200320_182654

• Like 13

I then began to build the air brakes, several of the pieces are very thin so be careful when removing them from the sprue. That said, it goes together easily and within minutes I had it built and the glue drying. 

IMG_20200322_122202

Once the glue was set, I placed it in my spray booth and gave it a blast of Vallejo Aluminium. 

IMG_20200322_122153

I then began to construct the landing gear, these, as you would expect are quite substantial. They have excellent locating pins however, and slot together well, again meaning little hair pulling! I then placed them on a cocktail stick and gave them a coat of aluminium. 

IMG_20200322_122207

They are now drying, along with the brakes. 

• Like 9

Once the paint was dry, I carefully secured the airbrakes into the tail section of one of the fuselage halves. Then, alongside this I attached the cockpit, and nose wheel section. 

IMG_20200323_230802 IMG_20200323_230750

The instructions suggest adding 25gms to the nose section. Luckily, the space is large enough to fit the 8 5p coins needed, which I secured to the underside of the cockpit floor. 

IMG_20200325_203035

My next step is my most worrying, joining the fuselage halves. 

• Like 12

Just caught up on this Shellie - lovely work. 

Those internals are really good, nice!

Good luck with the close up :fingerscrossed:

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 11:55 PM, Shelliecool said:

The instructions suggest adding 25gms to the nose section. Luckily, the space is large enough to fit the 8 5p coins needed, which I secured to the underside of the cockpit floor. 

Nice one on the coins! I'll be stealing borrowing  :bandit:   using that as inspiration as I've plenty around:
y4moQ-140KlNy25O4E3oqoXByKjA8I_WFUxseEa7

• Thanks 1

Just found this one and caught up, room for one more?

Nice work on the cockpit, air brakes and intakes awaiting the next update now

Roger

• Thanks 1

Your progress on this one encourages me to get a start on the one I have. It's good to hear there've been no issues thus far.

• Thanks 1

The time had come to join the fuselage halves. After several dry fits I found that most of it went together well, but that the section around the airbrakes and the nose wheel were going to be hard to get together. So I began sanding, firstly the sides of the airbrakes, then the edges of the wheel wells. Finally, it was close enough to work so I went for it, gluing a section at a time to give me the best fit. With gritted teeth it was finally done, taped and clamped together. Later, when it was dry and I removed the tape I noticed a small gap near the airbrakes, which i filled, but other than that all was pretty good. 

IMG_20200329_201700

I have since begun sanding the seams, as she is going to be anti flash white I need to nail the seams. I have added a little Mr. Surfacer 1000, and started sanding it back. We are getting there albeit slowly. 

IMG_20200329_201741 IMG_20200329_201725 IMG_20200329_201748

• Like 10

You are a bad girl Michelle! thanks to the inspiration of this thread, my stash grew by one Airfix Victor this afternoon. Take one hundred lines

"I must not put temptation in the way of weak willed aliens of the Martian persuasion."

And no using the copy and paste buttons.

Nice work by the way.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

How did this thread slip past me? Looks pretty good so far, have you decided which scheme to paint?

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but watch out for the wrong instructions on the flaps.

Also, there's a small intake missing on the kit from the left side wing root of the blue steel Victors, not present on the K2s Airfix had for reference

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

have you decided which scheme to paint?

3 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

as she is going to be anti flash white

Do try and keep up :tease:

AW

• Haha 2