Humber Mk II

1/72 AFV seem to be a little thin on the ground, so I thought I'd change it. With a stash reshuffle, I have moved my 1/72-1/76 afv's to my work workbench where I can have a little lunchtime activity, until they need painting that is. Having already having a Challenger I on the go at home, I thought I'd start a little armoured car. In this case it's Matchbox's offering of the Humber Mk II.

20200312-120916-1.jpg

Albeit that the box is battered, everything seems intack except that the base and decals are missing. Nothing major but I'll obviously will need to find decals fir this.

20200312-130053-1.jpg

I've made a start by making up the hull, wheels and part of the turret. The fit of parts is surprisingly good and little filler will be needed. Being quite an old kit, it lacks some details that I want to add like towing and lifting points, handles, etc. The hull has molded tools which will stay as I have such spares at this stage, a towing chain that as far as I can tell 'never was' and should be a cable, so I'll scratch that (or add a chain if one can be fitted).

Stuart

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Here is a pic of a Humber Mk II, what is that metal channel strapped to the back, sand channel, PSP? And whatever it is, is their a PE option?

Also, does anybody know if their are any lifting eyes on the turret as I can't see any on the views I've seen?

Stuart

It certainly looks like a sand channel, but it seems to be a folding variety. I know that Hauler make a type of sand channel in 1/35th, but I don't know of any in this scale.

John.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

. That moulded on chain will go.

If you are looking for a decent replacement for it, Tank Workshop does some in various thicknesses.

http://www.tankworkshop.com/newshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=421&zenid=c897mlujjb8ssud5h907v1m503

John.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

replacement

Cheers John, I do have some very small chain but all the images I have seen of Humber armoured cars show cable and not chain, so it''s still to be decided.

Stuart

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Quite surprised to see other 'maritimers' down here; you, Rob, Kev and now me.

It's almost like getting the band back together!

I remember making one of these back in the dim and distant past, probably not long after it came out. You are making a great start there.

When I saw the shot showing the "eyeballs" in I was going to make a tongue in cheek comment about that chain having to go, but then of course you decided that anyway!

Terry

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Quite surprised to see other 'maritimers' down here; you, Rob, Kev and now me.

I have done 1/35 armour in the past and have a bit of a passion for the Sherman variants I have a Sexton on that shelf that needs to be finished so might just join you and the others when KGV if finished

As for your cable I use braided fishing line if you can get hold of some it will last for ages :idea:

beefy

• Like 1

Got to keep busy in these stressful times...

20200317-125938-1.jpg

Tow chain and more fixing points fitted. Also fitted engine grill, hatches and rear mud guards. A little PPP needed.

20200317-125948-1.jpg

Front mudguards fitted. A little PPP needed.

Stuart

• Like 4

Oh Stuart. Those mudguards are crying out to be replaced with some scratch built ones made from card. Apart from that, the replacement handles look good.

John.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Those mudguards are crying out to be replaced

I 'was' thinking about that very thing but I think I'll use this build to learn some basics first. I have never done metal work on anything except PE but may look at it for future builds. As a matter of interest, what sheet thickness would you suggest for braille scale?

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

As a matter of interest, what sheet thickness would you suggest for braille scale?

It's along time since I built anything in this scale, but having said that, I'd probably use something like 10thou as anything thinner is going to flex too much. Then I would cut strips of 5thou to go around the edges to form the rims.

John.

• Like 3

Yesterday's update:

20200319-120520-1.jpg

Today's update:

20200319-130211-1.jpg

Got a couple of boxes that have sink holes and need a little filler. 'Jerry' cans look a little over size so I'll have to track down some 1/76 accessories.

Not much more to do then before a shot of primer that may be done tomorrow and then it'll be taken home to await painting.

Stuart

• Like 4

Very nice... Our army also had these (very kindly left behind by the British) and though they are thin on the ground I managed to find a rare working example used by 63rd cavalry. spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

What colour scheme are you thinking of

Like most things, it's the little details which makes a difference. As to the scheme, it'll be in a desert scheme, so I'm going to have learn some weathering techniques.

Stuart

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the hiatus but I've been waiting for a delivery from Milicast but nothing yet, so...

20200413-140027-1.jpg

...I've decided to crack on and primed this little fellow  and hopefully the accessories will catch up later. As I mentioned in the beginning, this old kit lacked decals a buddy came to the rescue with a Revell set.

Stuart

• Like 3

Oooooh!  Missed this! What a wee beauty!

I built one of these about 50(?) years ago because I was deeply impressed with the diorama base it came with.

My very next build (Airfix 1/72 Cheiftain) had a "Diorama base" made with the only substance I had to had - Window putty. I don't remember it being a total success but I was happy with it.  

Go Stuart!   :thumbsup:

• Like 3