Trumpeter 1/144 LCM(3) build

L1zzDt1.jpg?1

I just bought Trumpeter’s 1/144 scale LCM(3) as a bagged kit with no box on e-Bay for less than ten bucks - it looks to be a fun, quick build!

5YuUPz5.jpg

The LCM was waiting for me on the porch when I got home from work yesterday.

6vpUBRE.jpg

Tearing open the package after dinner, I was impressed with the quality of this little molding. The weld seams on the interior bulkhead shown here, for example. Nice.

Assembly is so simple I’m going to try something different this time; having cancelled travel plans with the wife this weekend because of the COVID-19 virus pandemic, I think I’ll stay in and see if I can polish this off before Monday!

HCvg3Ta.jpg?1

The first assembly was the open interior “box”...

NKTY2ce.jpg

then the deck and hull...

WUMJKR0.jpg

...and then fitting them together. I’m already halfway done!

Have to work today, but after that I have all weekend...

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Interesting. Sea base?

Stuart

Maybe eventually. It is an excellent little kit, but to finish this by the end of the weekend I think I'll just put it on a plinth. I very much enjoyed your HMS Upholder build, by the way!

• Thanks 1

Major assembly of the LCM was completed last night, so today I’ll install the smaller fittings and be ready to paint this evening!

Ns5uepT.jpg?1

The propulsion gear, vents, and other parts (like these tiny bitts) are petite and sharp. This kit is a pleasure to work with!

• Like 3

DDLdsxW.jpg

Ok, fast forward – all but a few of the fittings are installed and I’ve started to paint, beginning with the .50 cal machine guns.

A77NOM0.jpg

G9vW1bR.jpg

These are nicely done and there are even two extras, one set of guns molded with the pedestals and two guns with the two-part pedestals separately molded. Cool.

3QJh3JE.jpg?1

I opted for the separate pedestals which are slightly sharper.

• Like 9

5bu1GW7.jpg

With the rest of the fittings attached, a quick coat of paint and decals slapped on, the 1/144 scale LCM(3) is complete!

V0H8PaU.jpg

Trumpeter included markings for both a dark blue Pacific LCM and a D-Day boat in grey. I airbrushed it Navy Blue 5-N for the Pacific boat, but I overdid the light grey streaks added for weathering so much that it ended up looking grey. Rather than redo things, I just went with it and added more grey and used the D-Day markings.

GWLE0lR.jpg?1

bYKINid.jpg?1

The only changes I made to the kit were to add a sheet plastic door and handle (the doors weren’t flush-mounted as Trumpeter depicts) and semicircular mounts for the life rings.

SxRqKiN.jpg

eQCtk0O.jpg

VTqhWVe.jpg

z4GzcBN.jpg?2

And done!

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 7