'55 Ford F-100 Pickup Custom

Having decided to delay my planned triple build I was looking for something easy and quick to biuld as an OOTB project. So I decided on a recent purchase of a kit I've wanted to build for years. And a photo of the aim of the finished build. The kit comes with a decent V8, custom wheels and suspension. My only gripe is the white plastic is hard to see where work has been done hence flash priming of certain bits.

spacer.png spacer.png

I had to attack the cab as the wipers and door handles were moulded in, so they were sanded off and I figured it would look better with shaved handles anyway, so far not that much different than stock.

Well good intentions soon went out of the window as the pickup bed which is a moulded wood planked part is embedded into the main cab/frame part. So that was cut out to make painting easier.

spacer.png

And then I decided on aftermarket wheels which are far larger than the kit offering. But the rear arches are too narrow. Plan C, the easiest option I dreamt up, for accommodating these entailed widening the arches by 4mm, and afer much filling and sanding this is how they look so far.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

The stock fuel filler location has been filled, this will be relocated into the bed floor. I've also decided on replacing the kit suspension, due to the front being at a jaunty angle and not easy to correct, with aftermarket IRS & IFS and I'm mulling over a front tilting hood/bonnet mechanism afer too many visits to the interweb. Stay tuned for more out of the box fun and games 🙄

• Like 10

You certainly seem to like making work for yourself! :) That said, you always end up with good results so all worth it in the end. Already it's looking good, particularly that work done on the rear wheel arches. Looking at the box art, they weren't even big enough for the kit wheels (the rear wheels on the box model just look wrong to me) so that seems like a brave, but ultimately good, move.

On 3/12/2020 at 9:08 PM, Spiny said:

You certainly seem to like making work for yourself! :)

Spiny, it wasn't the intention on this build but when I looked at things I wouldn't want to end up with something I was far from happy with. But, as appears to be the norm, things soon escalate. Anyway it's keeping me occupied and the old brain active,

Good job the bed floor was cut out as that required raising to accommodate the IRS, a simple box edging has been added, awaiting setting to be cleaned up. The resin IRS components have been cleaned up and await partial assembly. The kit version has no rear brakes, interesting as to how that would affect a real truck 😬 good job there are inboard discs on the new setup. Pickup points on the chassis rails will also need figuring out for the tie rods. Then on to the front end.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The rear of chassis has had the chop. I was hoping to get away with just adding new side rails to create a wider gap for the suspension but after a trial wheel fit it became obvious something more radical was required. The resultant kink will create the necessary drop and once the IRS is done I can move to the front which has had the stock mounting points removed in preparation. Still not that much different from OOTB 🤣

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Nice job on that frame. If it's one thing that I really like it's this era of Ford F-100's. I've built two now, the old Revell version which was a very difficult one to work through and the newer Foose version. For future reference , if you ever want to build another one of these bad boys here then the Foose is a good kit to work with. It lends itself freely to the kinds of mods that you are pulling off with this suspension here as half of the work is already done.

I'm definitely tuned in to watching this one come together.

On 3/19/2020 at 5:22 PM, mustang1989 said:

Nice job on that frame. If it's one thing that I really like it's this era of Ford F-100's. I've built two now, the old Revell version which was a very difficult one to work through and the newer Foose version. For future reference , if you ever want to build another one of these bad boys here then the Foose is a good kit to work with. It lends itself freely to the kinds of mods that you are pulling off with this suspension here as half of the work is already done.

I'm definitely tuned in to watching this one come together.

Thanks. I wish I had known the Foose version was the easier build. I'm battling with aligning the pickup bed on the frame, the side rails of which are canted inwards. Consquently there is quite a bit of plasticard being added along with relocation and widening of the tailgate to get a proper fit. The firewall has had the moulded on wiring and switch boxes removed and the kit hinge mounts filled. i can feel a partially faired-in engine bay coming along.

Also thanks to those following and your comments.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

You'll get to where you want to be with this build of yours. That I'm confident in as shown by the lengths that you're going to get it right. Keep hammerin' away.....this is going to be one nice ride when it's done.

• Thanks 1

Well that's scuppered my posts for a while. Just visited Postimage to convert some photos to links and noticed some of my WIP files are empty and they are doing 'maintenance'. Anyway I'm busy making 'washers' from 0.9mm dia aloominum [as it's a US vehicle] tube to replicate the seats in a Ford GT40. Just the 40 made as I though the carpet would consume a few.

edit: I'm trying Postimage via a different browser, not sure if the photos will be available for eternity?

spacer.png spacer.png

Edited by mbdesignart
photos added, typo
  • Like 2

Now that Postimage appears to be working I shall contine, if I may. As the moulded on wipers fell foul of the scalpel blade early on I needed to find/make replacements. I found some which would do in my VW T1 box but they were the wrong hand and the blades were too short. Here's the result from a concoction of plastic strip and stretched sprue to fit the VW arms. And [rant of the day] on what planet is Vallejo Model Air Orange 083 orange? So much for colour charts! This is where my LMC comes to the front as the owner lets me see a test spot in the real world, big up Colin at Janco.

spacer.png

Thankfully I found my stockpile of hinges so I decided to add two to the tailgate.

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 3

With nothing better to do I thought I'd make some bonnet/hood hinges and an internal frame. Whether it works is still up for debate and I can see it needing a couple of gas struts to hold it open. Hey, ho.

spacer.png

• Like 3

I really like what I'm seein' here. Couldn't view it on my computer but was able to get on my phone and view all the updates. Some good work going on here. I hear you with the photo storage concerns. Good thing I don't have Photobucket anymore as they've done gone and got stooopid again with the price. spacer.png

Looking forward to the color coats going on.

If Postimage stops working I doubt I will pay a fee just to host photos just to convert them for a forum, fortunately I have the mssing files on disk.

Anyway the evening was spent sticking the tube 'washers' [see earlier post] into the bench seat.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Front and rear suspension nearly complete. The rear has twin shocks either side and some tie rods to locate to the chassis, the front requires the steering arm to be fitted, if I can find it. Once the chassis has had another coat of paint these can be mounted.

spacer.png

• Like 3

You've got to love Halfords matt black rattle can, it gives a magic satin finish, who'd have thought? I wish masking took as long as spraying but the effort has been worthwhile to my eye. Now waiting for some wire to add the plug leads to the engine but I can assemble the wheels and fit those.

spacer.png

Edited by mbdesignart
typo
  • Like 4