Aerosvit Embraer E190 scheme advice

Evening all!

I just picked up Revell's E190 for a tenner, but there's no chance in hell I'm settling for the boring Lufthansa livery.

I started searching for interesting liveries and decals available and I came across THIS beauty. I found Bsmodelle decals for this, but am I biting off a bit more than I can chew? I only recently got back into the hobby, and I'm not sure how I would go about masking this unique scheme 😳 I have Tamiya flexible masking tape, but then I'm sure I'd end up masking it all wonky so is there another way I could mask it?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I would have posted the photo directly here but I don't want to wake up the hotlinking and copyright gremlins

I don't know if it's much help but a couple of years ago I used BSModelle decals to build an A320 in the livery of Donbassaero which is basically the same scheme except in orange and black rather than blue and yellow. 

Based on that experience my advice would be to prime the model using white primer then mask off the section which will become blue (more of that in a moment) spray the yellow, let it dry then re-mask and spray the blue. I don't know if you're planning open windows but if you are you should use the window line to establish the basic straight division between the blue and yellow. You can probably do it by eye using the height of the "Ukrainian Airlines" titles as a guide. If you are planning to fill the windows and use decals (Authentic Airliner Decals have a set for the E190/195), you will need to think ahead and make a series of tiny pin marks along the tops of the windows before you prime the model then use them to establish your colour division.

The curved ends will have to be done by eye. Study as many photos as you can and note where the colour division intersects the doors and where it sits in relation to the windscreen at the front and the stabs at the rear. You might find it helpful to play around with paper templates although when I did the A320 I just went straight for the tape.

2mm Tamiya vinyl tape is probably the best medium for the actual masking although you could also do it with thin strips cut from Tamiya yellow tape. One of the beauties of the livery is that the lower demarcation largely follows the wing root fairing and you don't have the tricky business of trying to mask a straight line along a compound curve. Try to find some decent take-off and landing shots to get an idea of the colour division on the underside. Don't lose sight of the TLAR principle ("that looks about right") and remember that very few people actually know what an Aerosvit E190 looks like from underneath!

Once you've got your blue and yellow sorted it's then a straightforward matter to paint the rest of the model, remembering, of course, that we will want to see the finished result in RFI because it really is a gorgeous scheme. Please believe me when I say masking the A320 was a lot easier than it looks and I would encourage you to give it a go on the E190

Finally a tip about the kit itself. Almost every Revell E190/195 I've seen has the winglets warped and splayed outwards at a silly looking angle. If your kit is affected you can correct it with gentle heat from a hairdryer.

Hope that helps

Dave G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much Dave!

Your Donbassaero A320 is beautiful, and you've done an amazing job of masking those long curves in the livery. Very interesting how similar the liveries are. I haven't looked into it but I'm going to guess the two airlines were linked somehow.

I just so happen to have picked up a roll of the Tamiya 2mm masking tape for curves last week randomly at the tank museum in Bovington (of all places), and that is what I've mainly been thinking of using. I guess the only hesitation I have is the thought of getting the odd kink in those long curved lines, and those tight curves at the front and rear are going to be tricky, although saying that, I've never actually used this masking tape so it might be easier than I am fearing. Your advice about using reference points is very helpful, I hadn't thought of that (still new, remember 👶).

I will definitely be filling in the windows. I haven't actually seen the kit (arriving tomorrow) but from other builds I've seen in videos etc, decal windows are the way to go.

If I pull this (and my nearly completed Belgian Air Force Spitfire XIV and recently started Alitalia Maddog 🤦‍♂️) off, the Aerosvit 763 looks stunning and I may have a crack at her next.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, feoffee2 said:

I don't know of you found any decals but bsmodelle make them I think. If you have a look on there website. 

Cheers 

Hi mate,

Yes that's where I first found them. I was a bit put off by the fact the site isn't secure and there's absolutely zero information on it. They have a very good selection of more exotic liveries so I'd definitely be interested in buying their stuff, it's just the site is verging on dodgy, although Mark has said he's used them in the past.

I ordered directly from the site and didn't have any issues. They take Paypal (I wouldn't have ordered without it) and the decals arrived reasonably quickly. Don't expect the same quality that you get from the likes of 26 or F-DCAL. As I said in my post about the Donbassaero A320, the main livery decals were perfectly usable but they had a "home made" feel about them. Doors and other smaller decals were useless and had to be replaced by stuff from my spares box.

• Thanks 1

Do you mean this item? The seller has 100% feedback. However not personally bought from him. There is a seller on there who sells lots of Brasil decals and he is completely trustworthy. Ordered from him many times. Think he is called koscuiv. 

What paints are you planning on using?

2 hours ago, feoffee2 said:

Do you mean this item? The seller has 100% feedback. However not personally bought from him. There is a seller on there who sells lots of Brasil decals and he is completely trustworthy. Ordered from him many times. Think he is called koscuiv. 

What paints are you planning on using?

Yes that's the one.

I mean he has a low amount of feedback (actually 51), not feedback score.

I have vallejo gloss yellow and french blue (which I'll be tweaking to get to the right shade) that I can use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shashman said:

Yes that's the one.

I mean he has a low amount of feedback (actually 51), not feedback score.

I have vallejo gloss yellow and french blue (which I'll be tweaking to get to the right shade) that I can use.

Guilherme Kosciuv is completely trustworthy. I have dealt with him several times and he is the only source of Brasil/Gio Decals I would use. He is or was a member of Britmodeller. Be aware that he sometimes sells partial sheets and/or sheets with no instructions but he always describes exactly what is on offer. 

20 hours ago, Shashman said:

When you say "useless", how do you mean?

Just what I say. Poor rendition lacking in detail and nowhere near as accurate as the doors and detail decals on the Revell kit sheet. I have one BSModelle sheet in my stash where the doors are printed in silver instead of grey. I have no idea what the AeroSvit E190 sheet is like but you should be prepared to substitute decals from the kit sheet if necessary.,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Guilherme Kosciuv is completely trustworthy. I have dealt with him several times and he is the only source of Brasil/Gio Decals I would use. He is or was a member of Britmodeller. Be aware that he sometimes sells partial sheets and/or sheets with no instructions but he always describes exactly what is on offer. 

Just what I say. Poor rendition lacking in detail and nowhere near as accurate as the doors and detail decals on the Revell kit sheet. I have one BSModelle sheet in my stash where the doors are printed in silver instead of grey. I have no idea what the AeroSvit E190 sheet is like but you should be prepared to substitute decals from the kit sheet if necessary.,

Thanks Dave, that's all the endorsement I need for Kosciuv, however the person selling these decals is not him. I think this is just a random seller from Brazil. If I could contact Guilherme and ask him if he has any left, however, that would be great.

I was always going to be using at least some of the decals from the kit.